Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
2024 28' International
Appleton , Wisconsin
LED Replacement pucks on an '08 - which ones?

I'm planning on replacing all my lights with LED pucks but the problem is I can't decide on which ones to get.

These ones on Amazon are $2.50 each while the ones on airstream.com are $12.00 ea. Is there really that much of a difference? I'll probably need around 20 pucks so it is a significant difference in total cost ($50 vs $240)
Bradknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Having replaced all my interior bulbs with LEDs sourced domestically and abroad, I can't tell the difference in life span/quality, just price and color, between your choices. I used the 3000-3500K temp range inside which gives a yellow (warm) cast to the light emitted. Outside, I used the cool (blue) color which is more harsh on old eyes and seems a bit brighter at the same luminescence.

Go cheaper unless you feel compelled to support a specific entity like Dan at LED4RV who does an excellent job and will follow up on any issues immediately.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dan used to do quite a bit of quality testing from his suppliers a number of years ago....and honored replacements when a supplier let him down. I know his efforts are true and pay off, because I haven't had to talk to him for about 5 years, and the LEDs I have gotten from him haven't failed. so, sometimes, paying a bit more pays off in the long run.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

There isn't a difference, they all come from China, including the one's Dan buys and charges $14 a pop for. Total rip off. You're not paying a bit more for better quality. You're throwing money away, plan and simple. Same with the ones from Airstream. They're a profitable item, because you can't just go to Walmart or Home Depot and buy them. But they are dirt cheap to make.

Somewhere around here I did a post on these. You can find various styles of G4 puck bulbs on ebay, or amazon and some other sites for cheap.

I bought them from a few different vendors to compare awhile back the differences.

There are 21 G4 pucks in my Airstream. Comparatively 12 LED Bright White Reading Spot at 4-4500 kTemp SKU123 - $10.95 : LED4RV.com

$229.95 plus shipping. Ouch.

vs

$1.50 x 21 = $31.50

I don't think I'm being unfair in my assessment here. I've had mine in my Airstream, on every day for two years (I'm a full timer) and not one has gone bad yet. And I paid under $50 total.

For the cost savings, who cares if they go bad. Buy bulk.

Good hunting.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
There isn't a difference, they all come from China, including the one's Dan buys and charges $14 a pop for. Total rip off. You're not paying a bit more for better quality. You're throwing money away, plan and simple. Same with the ones from Airstream. They're a profitable item, because you can't just go to Walmart or Home Depot and buy them. But they are dirt cheap to make.

Somewhere around here I did a post on these. You can find various styles of G4 puck bulbs on ebay, or amazon and some other sites for cheap.

I bought them from a few different vendors to compare awhile back the differences.

There are 21 G4 pucks in my Airstream. Comparatively 12 LED Bright White Reading Spot at 4-4500 kTemp SKU123 - $10.95 : LED4RV.com

$229.95 plus shipping. Ouch.

vs

$1.50 x 21 = $31.50

I don't think I'm being unfair in my assessment here. I've had mine in my Airstream, on every day for two years (I'm a full timer) and not one has gone bad yet. And I paid under $50 total.

For the cost savings, who cares if they go bad. Buy bulk.

Good hunting.
Here's the only place I disagree. Order from China...you get pot luck. Not all suppliers out of China are the same though. Dan orders form a supplier and finds a problem, he makes it right. I've done both, ebay (and others) and Dan.

Case in point:

My AS came with LED taillight assemblies - JUNK. Failed in a progressive manner over a couple years.

Dan had just started stocking AS specific replacements. I ordered two. One failed after a year. He told me he had recognized an issue with that particular supplier and sent me two from a new supplier at no charge if I would send the failed one back to him for QC purposes. Let me keep the other 1st gen as a spare, which I haven't needed for 5 years.

Now those are expensive specialty items, but he has done the same with some pucks. Didn't even ask for the old ones back. Just a phone call and ...done. I replaced all my interior lighting over about a year's time, between 5 and 6 years ago. Since the initial dealings with him during that period, I have only had to replace one puck. I wasn't going to call him with a single 4 year old low dollar failure.

So, while I do agree with you to a great degree, until you get a supplier (order from same source) who proves their product to you, you just don't know and can end up spending more in the long run.

I have had the same experience with auto LEDs for my personal and extended family.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote