Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Leak > above 2 low point drains

2017 FC FB

Riddle me this and here are the facts:
1. Dewinterized (at camp yeah for me)
2. On city water. Pump not on

I noticed water dripping from above the two low point drains. Water is dripping from between the water tank covering (seams).

1. Shut every thing down. Depressurize all lines, crack low point valves and have a beer.

Google tells me I might have lost headspace in the HW heater. Yep, I did that. I fixed the WH and turned on City Water and purge everything and NO LEAK

Say the secret work and the duck will drop down and give you $100. No seriously, where was the water coming from when the system was, apparently, over-pressured???

*For the record I can't give you $100 but I might mail you a cookie.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Was the WH on at any point, I think I recall reading someone talk about the water heater causing excess pressure after heating, depending upon circumstances.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
No matter what, I would be curious as to at what pressure that leak happened and from where, will city water at a higher pressure campground be enough to cause it the whole time your there?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I once had my water pump's internal on/off switch get stuck "on". I had water (quite a bit) coming from two places:
1) The relief valve on the water heater
2) The back of the city water inlet

On my 25FB, the city water (and black tank flush) inlets are hidden behind panels at the back of the closet. The top panel comes off easily--just two screws. I suggest you try that and then look/feel around there for water. Also open the panel under the front of the closet and investigate there.

If it is the inlet fixture, you can sometimes fix it by tightening the screws on the back of the fixture. Some people have even managed to unscrew the fixture from the trailer side panel from the outside, pull the fixture out a smidge, and tighteten the screws or replace the fixture, without disassembling the trailer cabinets.

Another possible leak source is any PEX fitting that was crimped less-than-perfectly. So the water could be coming from anywhere.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Add due respect Randy. Your questions are good yet the cookie is not yours to own

City water pressure is fine.

Yes, I did switch the WH on after de-winterizing. The boiler was firing.

Is there a pop-off pressure relieft valve for either or both of the water sides (hot/cold) or the bulk water storage tank?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I'm on it. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I once had my water pump's internal on/off switch get stuck "on". I had water (quite a bit) coming from two places:
1) The relief valve on the water heater
2) The back of the city water inlet

On my 25FB, the city water (and black tank flush) inlets are hidden behind panels at the back of the closet. The top panel comes off easily--just two screws. I suggest you try that and then look/feel around there for water. Also open the panel under the front of the closet and investigate there.

If it is the inlet fixture, you can sometimes fix it by tightening the screws on the back of the fixture. Some people have even managed to unscrew the fixture from the trailer side panel from the outside, pull the fixture out a smidge, and tighteten the screws or replace the fixture, without disassembling the trailer cabinets.

Another possible leak source is any PEX fitting that was crimped less-than-perfectly. So the water could be coming from anywhere.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I had a similar leak that was coming out near the front street side tire. It was as described above, the regulator connection. I accessed it through a panel in the wardrobe and tightened the screws on the back of the connection.
That took care of it.

Rick
Old 02-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
I had a similar leak that was coming out near the front street side tire. It was as described above, the regulator connection. I accessed it through a panel in the wardrobe and tightened the screws on the back of the connection.
That took care of it.

Rick
Thanks Rick, dry as a bone back there. Did wipe check on all fittings and ca not (knock on wood) see any wetness on the floor.

You moved the ball forward, now I know where that regulator is!
Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
My pleasure. We all learn from each other.