Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
intermittent water leak

While parked, on level ground, we've developed a leak in the galley area that soaks through to the carpet. I've removed everything under the sink and the adjacent drawers (all dry) and see no evidence of any dripping, yet the floor is still wet. This is not a profuse leak, although a section of carpet (8" x 30") was soaked. Then it dried up over a three day period, but has now returned, but not as virulent as before. I thought that maybe my beagle had urinated, but my wife, ever the aroma detector, said he was not to blame. This time.

I've tried several things. One, removed the external water supply and in lieu, used the fresh water tank supply exclusively and only turned the water pump on when needed. This seemed to help, but only temporarily.

Secondly, increased the external supply to the maximum pressure at our small park (low p.s.i. on an old well) to see if any leak could be seen or heard. No luck.

We've also set down kleenex, bounty towel, and sponges on the undersink shelves, yet they remain dry and the floor underneath is wet. We have been parked, living small, without moving the unit, for nearly a month, with no difficulty and this started in an evening when the trailer was vacant (no dogs, no people).

In anticipation of questions, we're parked in southern Arizona mountains where it can get cool at night, but rarely much below freezing, we've had less than 0.5" of rain in a month, and I have no previous history of any leaking in 17 years. The beagle is named Kramer.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks,
Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The drain line from your sink has become disconnected from the grey water tank. There is a hose clamp right at the floor level to hold the two parts together. It has loosened, or possibly rusted apart.

This needs to be dealt with as it is a common source of floor rot.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Dear jmark,
Your suggestion was dead center. Thanks. With this innate ability to diagnose and treat, sight unseen, the problems of the elderly you should have your own talk show. Now, do you have any preferences in the stock market that you're willing to share ?
Thanks again,
Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote