Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #1

Spring hill , Florida
installing new faucets designed for house, need help with connecting to grey poly

I have installed standard household faucets and have standard female 3/8 braided lines but grey polybutylene pipe, been to several big box home stores and getting no help, I wonder if someone here would know what I can use to connect the two, I have. very limited knowledge on plumbing, and any help would be appreciated, I like pictures too lol. thank you in advance.
Nshipe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Full disclosure: I'm not a plumber. (My father is, but apparently it's not genetic!)

In the past, I think I've used a SharkBite fitting to go from polybutylene to NPT. Does that not work for you?

I find the guys who work at my local hardware store to be quite a bit more knowledgeable than the "big box" boys. Take what you have to your neighborhood hardware store and let them give you a solution. This works for me when I hit the end of my plumbing knowledge.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Suggest you use a standard shut off valve and then adapt to your lines. I have expansion ring pex so I just ordered drop ear elbows to secure to the cabinet and adapt to size of my lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot water bypass line.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	371911

Disregard the circled fitting that was about a different topic.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
Suggest you use a standard shut off valve and then adapt to your lines. I have expansion ring pex so I just ordered drop ear elbows to secure to the cabinet and adapt to size of my lines.

Attachment 371911

Disregard the circled fitting that was about a different topic.
Interested to know where you ordered these elbows,,, are they a standered that matches up with the existing faucet supply fittings at the sinks?
stkwhittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
I ordered mine through Supply House. They refer to the expansion ring fittings as ProPEX and are made by Uponor (Wirsbo). They seem to have the largest selection of fittings for ProPEX. They also carry crimp, Shark Bite, Blue Fin and others.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...+elbows+propex

I used the fitting with 1/2" propex and 1/2" female NPT (FIP) to match up to the shutoff valve.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-U...-PEX-x-1-2-FIP

Just a reminder to order lead free fittings for use on fresh water lines.

Our thread:
Old 07-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
I ordered mine through Supply House. They refer to the expansion ring fittings as ProPEX and are made by Uponor (Wirsbo). They seem to have the largest selection of fittings for ProPEX. They also carry crimp, Shark Bite, Blue Fin and others.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...+elbows+propex

I used the fitting with 1/2" propex and 1/2" female NPT (FIP) to match up to the shutoff valve.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-U...-PEX-x-1-2-FIP

Just a reminder to order lead free fittings for use on fresh water lines.

Thanks Harold,,,

Looks to me like you did things the easy way,,,,, replaced everything,,,,
Smart way too I might add..

Because ours is so new, 89, we’ve not had to venture in to the grey pex world of fixes before,,,,

Main problem, I’m a carpenter at heart, but, I can sweat copper and glue pvc, but have never ventured into the world of crimping tools,,,, where do you even start buying the tools for late eighties grey plastic,,, are those type fittings the same as those used today’s?

I may just have to leave the old sinks in,,, I think I can patch the holes I the new counters and they will look fine... I’m a pretty good carpenter,,,,
stkwhittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Sorry, can't help you on the gray plastic, never used it.

I know a lot use Shark Bite and are very happy with it. One of the reasons I went with expansion ring is my current house is the same and that helped justify the expense of the tool needed. We have 2 room remodels planned and both involve changes to water lines.

Our thread: