Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Boise , Idaho
We are new to travel trailer world as well. 2020 Nest and have noticed like Kscherzi that even being slightly off level can have a profound effect on sensor readings. We have a 24 gallon fresh tank and 30 gallon combined gray/black tank I believe so I basically know if we were to go thru all our fresh water need to start considering that the waste tank is getting close to full. I've also noticed the tanks don't seem to sense in a linear fashion but rather kind of stutter up or down.
freeski1057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
baltimore , Maryland
On my older airstream, the tank sensor is a piece(s) of adhesive bacled foil that was slapped on the side of the tank. (Good idea, bad execution). Of course, the adhesive drys out and the foil ends up flapping in the breeze.
groundhogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #23

2017 22' Sport
Tryon , North Carolina
Tsp

Airstream says add one cup trisodium phosphate to the tank when 3/4 full. Drive around to slosh liquid on probe and it will clean it.
mantravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ol Dad View Post
Dude. Don't do this.

We usually camp in National Forests, National Parks, and BLM land and are frequently surrounded by tent campers who are car camping. What do you think they do?

I agree that dumping the grey tank can be a problem because it can become contaminated with decal matter. However, catching some fish water in a sink basin and throwing in the bushes is fine by me.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So...I frequent wilderness canoe camping in the BWCA. Even with those, most stringent, regulations the required dish water is to be dumped in a shallow hole or depression at least 150 feet from a shoreline along with food scraps. They cant seem to settle on one consistent fish remains disposal though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Had the same problem and I did notice that a bit of tilting or leveling makes a big difference on all tanks. My Black tank was always the last one to show a level. Fresh water showed 100% while sometimes the grey showed 50 or 0. Very touchy gauges. I have not found a real good way to know for sure. A good idea to pour some of used grey water into the black tank.
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
What do you think they do?
Without being too snarky, I'm going to assume that you're older than 12, and realize that "they do it too" isn't the best defense.

If you use the parks and public lands, use it responsibly. Please. It sounds like you know better, but think you might as well as long as everyone else is doing it.
Big Ol Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ol Dad View Post
Without being too snarky, I'm going to assume that you're older than 12, and realize that "they do it too" isn't the best defense.
Dude. Snarky.
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Tank Gauges

I've noticed questionable readings too on my 22' 2019 Sport. I just finished actually adding a gallon at a time to my 3 tanks, then copying what the reading is....one gallon at a time. Needless to say, the gauges are only remotely accurate. I now have the chart I recorded these reading on inside my camper for future reference. Example, my dark water tank is 17 gallons, my SeeView readout starts saying 100% at 12 gallons. In this case, that's a good thing! It'll get me to dump at a lower number. On the other hand, my 24 gallon grey tank starts reading 25% at 3 gallons.....for several more gallons before it jumps to 44%. There may be several reason's for the inaccuracies, but I can deal with it now that I've charted it out.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote