Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
Unhappy How to Remove Toilet in 78 Ambassador

I have searched the threads but can not find any info on how to remove the two piece outer plastic cover of my toilet in order to get to the hold down bolts. I have tried to separate the top from the bottom with no luck.
WHAT IS THE SECRET?
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
I have searched the threads but can not find any info on how to remove the two piece outer plastic cover of my toilet in order to get to the hold down bolts. I have tried to separate the top from the bottom with no luck.
WHAT IS THE SECRET?
There is no secret, you don't have to remove covers. Reach through the base near the foot pedal to access the front nut, and behind the base while lying over top of the toilet to access the rear nut.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Stop trying to seperate the peices, you'll break the unit. There are two bolts that hold down the unit. You cn see the front bolt on the bottom of the unit under the pedals = you may have to depress the pedal to actually remove the bolt. The second bolt is a little more difficult. There is an access hatch onthe top of the tiolet. You can use a 1/2 inch socket on an extension to remove this bolt. You may be able to see this from the back of the unit but certainly throught the hatch with a flashlight. I think the toilet has to be rotated counter-clockwise and lifted after the bolts are removed. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Thanks Overlander and Alumin8. That is seems simple enough now that I know where to look. I will try that in the AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Hello Mainstream,
I see from your profile that you have a 89-29' Excella.
Is the '78-29' Ambassador a replacement? or just a project? What is the floorplan (where's the bath and is the BR Twin or Double)? Folks seem to seldom remember to add that info to their profiles.
Obviously you like 29 footers.

I seem to recall being in or thru Louisburg long ago...before No.Carolina seceded from Dixie. Is it near Cherokee or Asheville?

Good luck on your fix-ups.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Hello Mainstream,
I see from your profile that you have a 89-29' Excella.
Is the '78-29' Ambassador a replacement? or just a project? What is the floorplan (where's the bath and is the BR Twin or Double)? Folks seem to seldom remember to add that info to their profiles.
Obviously you like 29 footers.

I seem to recall being in or thru Louisburg long ago...before No.Carolina seceded from Dixie. Is it near Cherokee or Asheville?

Good luck on your fix-ups.

I have tried to update that info but could not figure out how to do that.
I still have the 89 and am in the process of restoring the 78, I will sell one of them when I am done. It is a rear bath with a twin center bed. We just sold a 39 ft. 5th wheel and downsized to the Airstream. I have really enjoyed towing the Airstream with the Hensely Hitch. It is much less stressful and a LOT less expensive to travel. My wife said she would like the larger bath of the 78 but the 89 is a little better looking with the more modern windows and rock guards etc.
I am retired and just finished building our home which is a 900 sq. ft. cottage on a Lake. I needed something to do ,hence the 78 restoration project.
Loiusburg is 30 miles east of Raleigh and 25 miles west of Rocky Mount.