Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
How to hook up water systems-newbie ?

Planning on taking out the AS for the first time this w/e to Cape Hatteras and will be setting up for the first time. I've looked for threads on this but haven't found anything. My type A self was looking for a step by step approach so I don't screw something up the first time out
Thanks for the help
Rob
goutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Water hookup

1) Purchase a regulator to keep the pressure at 40lbs max. (reasonably inexpensive).
2) Attach the reulator to the water supply, attach the white hose (White always designates potable water) to the unit and then to the regulator.
3) Be sure your inteternal water pump is off.
4) Turn on the water at the pole and all should work fine.

Your manual should confirm these steps.

Then sit back and enjoy!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Your 2009 should come with a built in regulator.

Is this unit new, or just new to you? Has it been winterized? If so you will need to flush the system before using it. Let us know and we can offer up some ideas with focus.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
And look for leaks

If it's the first time this trailer has been hooked up to "city" water, after you turn the water on look around for leaks. Our Safari had a loose connection in the bathroom, and after a few minutes we saw water on the floor. No more fresh water that weekend! Bring along a couple of jugs in case that happens to you.

Then turn on the hot water so the water heater tank can fill up.

Also, bring a couple of white hoses for connecting. On some campsites the water connection might be 20 feet or more from your hookup.

And be sure to connect the source to the water hookup, not the black tank cleanout hookup. On our Safari the black tank cleanout has a sign on it and is to the right of the fresh water input.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Our 2009 is new to us, bought lightly used last month. The dealer on walk through showed us all the water faucets/shower worked. Didn't see any leaks but will bring a pale just in case-good idea. Yes, I remember them telling us about the pressure regulator. Thank you for the replies.
goutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Putting a pressure regulator on the campground supply will prevent a blow out of the hose in case the pressure is very high. It does happen sometimes. When you buy those white hoses, get ones with brass fittings. There are ones on the market with steel fittings—they rust and the hose is usually of such poor quality it may blow out at normal water pressure.

There's a connection for "city water" that connects you to the CG system and one for filling the potable water tank. We always keep some water in it to use if the toilet is to be used during traveling, or you stop for lunch and need water. If you plan to boondock, you will want a full tank. Some say their trailers ride better with a full tank of potable water, but I haven't seen any difference. A full tank means a lot of weight, but I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage.

Are you also asking about black and grey water systems?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Another caution on the water heater. Make sure if it is a 110/LP unit that you don't put any power to it, gas or electric, till you are sure the tank is filled with water. Open the hot tap at the sink and wait till all the hissing and spitting stops and you have a steady stream of water from the hot side. Then you'll know the water heater tank is full and you can then turn on the water heater.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I always run the water through the hose for a couple minute before hooking it up to the rig. I hate the idea of stale water and bugs going through the pipes. Probably unnecessary but it makes me feel better. I also leave the grey tank open into the hook up but NOT the black tank. I believe the reason being the black tank does not have the gas traps that the grey does.

Also if your going to Camp Hatteras the people there are great and more than willing to help out any way possible, just ask. There should be a few full timers camping/working there now that it is getting closer to summer. There is an Ace hardware about 15-20 minutes down the road. I know this because I had to make many trips for pex parts to fix all my leaks on my 1979's first trip last year.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote