Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Exclamation HELP! I think my plumbing is frozen!

I got caught unprepared by the winter freeze that hit Central Texas - it is in the teens and 20's which is colder than it has been in 50 years! I have a 2009 International CCD 27' which I keep in covered storage with no access to electricity. It has been a while since I have taken her out and I can't remember what all I dumped after last usage. Anyway, the weather plummetted and by the time I got to her with some RV antifreeze she was frozen. I tried to pour the antifreeze down the sinks and shower drain - a little went in and then it stopped going down. What do I do to prevent the pipes from bursting or I am just too late. Please help me - I am new at this and I am freaked out about this. Thanks in advance for all of your help. Dara
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Sounds like you are too late.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Too Late

You are too late. Now the thing to do is to wait until the weather changes, then have towels ready and some tools to fix what is going to leak. Have your flashlight and do a thorough inspection of all of the PEX and especially around your pump and surrounding lines. If you have water in the fresh tank run the pump and do your inspection. If not, I recommend that you not add water to the fresh tank until you have inspected using the city water inlet.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The best way to check for burst water lines is using air pressure. It's less messy to clean up than if you have a leak and are using water to test with.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I am in the same boat.
It hit an all time low here in Tucson (19) and I am dreading checking my trailer out.
The only thing you can do is let everything thaw out, in a heated garage if you have one. Then visually check for leaks. The water hoses expand a little so you might get lucky there. Valves on the sinks, toilets and showers are vulnerable as well as the water pump.
Try to pressurize the system by turning on the pump. If it pressurizes and the pump shuts off--you got lucky. If the pump keeps running, there is a leak and you need to find it before running water does damage. Fixing things is not too expensive, just a matter of replacing parts.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
should I try to thaw it now?

Thanks for the suggestions. We have 2 - 3 more days of this artic temperatures. Should I leave it as is until the weather gets better or should I try to work on warming up the trailer now? I could bring it home, plug it in and try to thaw it now if that would be better. Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I would try to thaw in now. It may get colder and freeze harder. The harder it freezes the more the water expands, and the more likely you will have damage. Get it home and turn on the furnace and any plug in electric heaters that you have. Open all the cabinet doors to let the heat circulate to the pipes. Good luck
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Ours froze once and the only damage was to the kitchen faucet. We found the same model at Lowes. We only had to switch out the wands. We got off real easy. Hope you do too.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

I got lucky.
After a night in the teens (all time low for the date here in Tucson), I got the airstream out of storage checked into a campground yesterday plugged it in and fired up the the furnace and space heater.
The water in the dog bowl was frozen on the top but not all the way through. No sound from the pump.
This morning after another night in the low 20's, I went in the Airstream and turned on the pump. It was toasty warm, had thawed out, the water system pressurized and I was able to winterize successfully.
Next time I will listen to good advice from my spouse who tells me to winterize.
I hope everyone has the same good luck.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
We've been camping in this cold. 14 degrees was a bit much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I got lucky.
After a night in the teens (all time low for the date here in Tucson), I got the airstream out of storage checked into a campground yesterday plugged it in and fired up the the furnace and space heater.
The water in the dog bowl was frozen on the top but not all the way through. No sound from the pump.
This morning after another night in the low 20's, I went in the Airstream and turned on the pump. It was toasty warm, had thawed out, the water system pressurized and I was able to winterize successfully.
Next time I will listen to good advice from my spouse who tells me to winterize.
I hope everyone has the same good luck.
We've been living in the Airstream this week east of Tuscon and I've had a few freeze/thaw cycles! We only have an electric space heater and am using a single 110v outlet to just power the essentials (heater and laptop). In the mornings we turn all of the propane on to heat water for coffee and morning catbaths. It heats up pretty quick, but of course the underside gets much colder and I've been in and out, tightening and checking fittings, releasing pressure. It's not bad if you stay on top of it. And I definitely understand where everything is much better, so my winterizng after this trip should be a breeze.
JitneyBead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #11

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitneyBead

We've been living in the Airstream this week east of Tuscon and I've had a few freeze/thaw cycles! We only have an electric space heater and am using a single 110v outlet to just power the essentials (heater and laptop). In the mornings we turn all of the propane on to heat water for coffee and morning catbaths. It heats up pretty quick, but of course the underside gets much colder and I've been in and out, tightening and checking fittings, releasing pressure. It's not bad if you stay on top of it. And I definitely understand where everything is much better, so my winterizng after this trip should be a breeze.
Hey Jitney,

That's very cold for AZ! Winterizing is pretty easy to do I blow the lines and then add anifreez gave fun in AZ.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Speaking of winterizing, I met a gentleman while camping in GA who suggested that if I am using my trailer on a frequent basis and want to ensure that my lines do not freeze up during non-use to poor the RV fluid in my freshwater tank and then cut on the water pump and run the faucets (etc) until pink comes out and leave it. He also mentioned that I bypass the water heater during this process. What do you all think? Is this a safe way to temporary winterize. I am using my trailer almost biweekly and do not want to winterize since the weather here in GA is just above freezing.
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We are also in Tucson, and are currently living in our Bambi in our front yard while our home is going through major repairs after returning home from a 10-day holiday trip to a burst pipe in our kitchen and dining area ceilings, caved in ceilings, and 5" of standing water...due to an unexpected hard freeze over New Year's ... when we had the first bad cold snap of the season. We were at the 4CU New Year's rally that weekend... we thought we had the pipes secured, but were we wrong! What a surprise and what a mess. We have been fine in the Bambi during this week's hard freezes. We are running the furnace a lot and that keeps everything above freezing. The only good thing in all this is that we didn't have to worry about the pipes in our house freezing this time around...there was no water in them! We're surviving, but man, it is a huge hassle and disruptive beyond description. Guess we're going to have to move further south.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Albemarle , North Carolina
Angry busted water line agrosy TT

Water leak somewhere around commode (floor is wet)can hear water running , commode flushes ok. commode sits up on small platform. help 1976 argosy 26 ft rear bath.
eldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Copper or PEX

Is the plumbing in the Argosy the original copper? If so there are three lines running behind the toilet. The toilet supply line along with the hot an cold for the shower. If the moisture is on top of the platform and the holding tank below the toilet is not full. I would suspect and inspect the connection for the water supply on the back of the toilet. Also check the two lines going to the shower.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thank you for all of your help. I did take her to my house, pluggled her in and turned on the furnace. When things thawed out I poured in RV antifreeze at all the drains and just waited with crossed fingers. Things got a little warmer so I hooked up the water and turned it on. Water spewed everywhere from the back of the toilet. But I got really lucky - all i had was a busted valve on the back of the toilet. When that was fixed we hooked it up again and tested everything which was all right. I will be much more vigilant about winterizing in the future.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Congratulations!

That wasn't too bad at all.

Tags
frozen, plumbing