Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Fresh Water Tank Fills Unexpectedly

During a recent trip, I noticed for the first time that my fresh water tank filled to overflowing while hooked to shore water. Since I put only about 10 gallons in at the beginning of the season, something is up. Fortunately, I'm still under warranty, but thought I'd inquire anyway. Interesting that a while ago, I also found that my grey and black water tank valves were mislabeled. Perhaps my trailer was manufactured on a Friday!! Thanks, Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
During a recent trip, I noticed for the first time that my fresh water tank filled to overflowing while hooked to shore water. Since I put only about 10 gallons in at the beginning of the season, something is up. Fortunately, I'm still under warranty, but thought I'd inquire anyway. Interesting that a while ago, I also found that my grey and black water tank valves were mislabeled. Perhaps my trailer was manufactured on a Friday!! Thanks, Jack
Sounds like the check valve on the water pump is either stuck or has some trash in it. That's pretty easy for you to check, if you want. Simply unscrew the line going from the tank to the strainer on the pump, and turn the city water on. If water comes out of the pump, you've found the problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mine did that when it was brand new. Dealer replaced the pump due to bad check valve.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have never experienced this problem, but now I know the answer. Thanks!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
winter bypass blues

if your water heater bypass valves are in the bypass position, they will allow the gray tank to fill from city water. When winterizing your rig, placing the water heater valves in bypass allows the water heater to drain-into the gray tank. check those valves.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
if your water heater bypass valves are in the bypass position, they will allow the gray tank to fill from city water. When winterizing your rig, placing the water heater valves in bypass allows the water heater to drain-into the gray tank. check those valves.
If you look at the water heater plumbing, you'll see you are providing amazingly wrong information. There is one line to, and one line from the water heater... the bypass is just that... diverts the water from going through the hot water tank... that's it. It doesn't send it to the tray water tank.

The city water connection is nothing magical either... it ties in anywhere past the pump into the same line that runs all over the trailer. The water pump creates the 'end' of the line before the fresh water tank... so if you are getting your fresh water filled by the city water connection... you've got only one place to look... the water pump.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Thanks for the answer to this one. Sometimes the mis-information needs to be pointed out. Like you stated there is nothing magical about this at all.
OBPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks for these responses. I did install a bypass valve with an input line at the water pump for winterization use. Since I have had the trailer through one season already and this seems to be a new issue, I wonder if the valve install may have created the problem? Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
Thanks for these responses. I did install a bypass valve with an input line at the water pump for winterization use. Since I have had the trailer through one season already and this seems to be a new issue, I wonder if the valve install may have created the problem? Jack
It it an actual bypass, or a fitting you can hook to a bottle of antifreeze? If it truly allows water to go from the input side to the output side of the water pump, then if it is leaking the next stop is the fresh water tank.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Our trailer has an "autofill" feature that we enable/disable with a switch on the control panel. When autofill is turned on the fresh water tanks fills from the shore connection. If I don't turn autofill off the fresh water tank will overflow. The autofill indicator lamp is very small and I sometimes turn it on by accident. A few hours later somebody is knocking at the door telling me I've sprung a leak!

I don't know which years and models came equipped with autofill - just thought I'd mention it as a possibility.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Had pump check valve failure in both my 2009 23 and the current 2011 25 and both were replaced at JC under warranty. A word of advice - either drain your tank if you want to stay hooked up to city water or unhook and use the water in the tank. If you stay hooked up with the tank full and water dribbling out of the fill overflow you will get hard water deposits on the side of the trailer and they are near impossible to get off. Ask me how I know!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Water pump shut off valve

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote