Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mountain View , California
Fresh water tank filling when hooked to city H2O.

I have a fresh water tank issue that I'm trying to track down and am wondering if anyone here has had the same issue. I have a 2008 27FB (new to me) that came with a loud and slightly leaky water pump. It was the original pump as it was manufactured in '07.

When hooked up to city water (pump off of course) my fresh water tank was slowly taking on water. I figured that was because the pump had a bad check valve. So to kill two birds I replaced the pump. I'm very happy with the new pump as it's much quieter. I took the opportunity to update the original install to make it as quiet as possible (the line in was hooked directly from PEX to the pump, so I added flexible tubing).

One problem still remains... the fresh water tank is still taking on water when hooked up. It seems much slower, but I don't believe this should be happening. Is there another check valve I should check? Anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks, -Andy
OffTheCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
You are on the right track, as the pump IS the check valve between the water system and the fresh water tank.

I would think the odds are the valves in your new pump are leaking a little allowing the water to flow back into the tank.

I would try running a tank of water thru the pump and see if that solves the problem. If not, you probably got a defective pump.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yep, the new pump looks like it is defective also. My pump had to be replaced with the same problem early in its life.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mountain View , California
Thanks guys. That's unfortunate. I'll run it for a weekend trip and see if it's still behaving that way after using it for a bit.

-Andy
OffTheCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Did the new pump resolve the issue?

Hi Andy,
I know it has been a few years since you had the issue with the fresh water tank filling up while hooked up to city water. Did the new pump resolve itself after running it over a weekend trip and if not, was it due to a defective pump, even though new? We are having the same issue and have a 28ft 2008 Safari SE. If it wasn't the pump or check valve, what was the issue and how did you resolve it? What brand and model of pump would you recommend as a replacement?

Hope you are still on the forum and reply!
Many thanks,
Priscilla
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
This issue just started to show itself on our 2018 28 International. We’ve been using the pump probably more than 50% of the time. A few days ago we hooked up to city water and the next morning found the fresh water tank full. Last night we didn’t hook up to water and used the pump from the fresh water tank. Tonight we arrived at our campsite with 75% in the fresh water tank. A couple hours later and the tank is once again full. We’ll try using the pump over the next few days to see if the problem corrects itself. Thankfully its not a crippling issue, just frustrating.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lots of earlier posts on the pump check valve failing, and the tank filling:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pump...=airforums.com
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...er-191834.html

Try turning the pump on and off a bunch of times [city water off] . . . sometimes the grit will clear itself out.

Always use an inline filter in your hose when you fill the tank, and when you use city water.

If the check valve is bad, you may need a new pump.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
bad check vale?
dirty filter?
loose grommet on water valve?
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
It's a band aid fix, but since this is such a common problem you could just add a check valve in line with the water pump, I've been happy with one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-H2O-Aqua...47103081&psc=1
Old 03-16-2019, 03:56 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I think I found the culprit in my case. My Camco Evo water filter cartridge failed allowing charcoal granules to flow out of the filter. The screen for the city water captured most of the granules from the city water system but there’s no screen when filling the fresh tank allowing granules to enter the tank. When I’m living off the fresh water tank there’s a chance the pump will pick up some charcoal. Through use of the pump, my immediate problem of the check valve has fixed itself but I’m sure it will come again at times. Of course I will need to clean out the faucet aerators from time to time.

A bigger concern I have is charcoal has also entered my black water flush system since I often hook up to a splitter on the filter when flushing my tank. Charcoal has already jammed my anti-siphon valve which poured water inside the trailer and I’m afraid it may possibly plug up the tank sprayer!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
. . .
Charcoal has already jammed my anti-siphon valve which poured water inside the trailer and I’m afraid it may possibly plug up the tank sprayer!
Thanks for the detailed update. A good catch to diagnose this accurately!

Your concern about the black tank flush spray heads [plural] is legitimate IMO. There are reports through the years that, if you don't use those spray heads regularly with good city water pressure, they will get plugged up by fecal matter and TP lodging in the tiny holes in the spray heads.

Replacing the spray heads requires quite a bit of time and labor, a task we have not addressed after our anti-siphon valve failed also. As a result we consider ours to be an "older model Airstream" lacking a black tank flush system. This was the norm for decades, and our 1985 25' AS did not have such a system -- no prob!

Thanks again for your cogent analysis.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
... Of course I will need to clean out the faucet aerators from time to time.
If you have Grohe faucets you will need a special tool to remove the aerators.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
If you have Grohe faucets you will need a special tool to remove the aerators.
Thanks, suspected as much after looking at them. Currently flow is good so no issues yet.

We are at a nice park so I’ve been able to drain the fresh water tank a couple of times to hopefully get a little of the graphite out. I also tried the black water flush again with success so hopefully that valve is now working. It’s good to see that Airstream finally replaced the old failure-prone plastic valve with a quality brass valve!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have the same problem with my 28 ft Flying Cloud RB Twin 2018. I am going to contact the factory so they can send me a new pomp.
Lucky9332 is offline   Reply With Quote