Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Fresh water tank drain valve replacement

Funny, I repaired my leak by replacing the little plastic hose , ( less then $5.00 ) and when I went to drain the fresh tank for winterizing, the damn plastic calve handle broke, cutting my finger. Next spring, I need to replace that cheap pos ..
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Our first year with the 2006 traveling a gravel road in Nevada the plastic valve was sheared off by a piece of gravel. Broke it clean off. I just happened to back up where a hot spring was steaming and noticed I was leaving a trail of water. Thinking it was the tow vehicle, I stopped and discovered the fresh water tank was draining in the desert.... Ouch.

The first town had an ACE Hardware store and I bought a small cork for 8 cents or so. Did not fit, got a smaller one and it fit fine. Bought some extras, corked the open hole, took some picture frame wire and put one end around one philips head screw. Then across the cork to hold it in place and the other end of the wire secured by the opposite side philips head screw, securing the wire and cork.

Worked perfect. When we had a list of "to do's" for Jackson Center, Ohio the fantastic Airstream warranty team looked at my "cork work" and said they would replace the valve. Which they did and while doing so, I asked if they would attach a piece of sheet metal on the front and rear open areas to prevent it from happening again. Now the valve had protection from all directions.

Since I purchased a "spare white plastic valve" at the parts center... and had spare corks... nothing ever happened to the valve again. They said if you are repairing it yourself... not to let the part that the valve is attached to find its way into the compartment that holds the plastic water container...

So, if you find yourself in a situation you are not sure what to do:
1 small cork
5 inches of flexible picture frame wire
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:20 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

west rutland , Vermont
petcock came off in travels

On arrival in Myrtle Beach SC we went to sanitize the fresh water tank. As we were filling the tank, I noticed the water was just running out. Checking we noticed the petcock valve, the floppy thing, was gone! My husband removed the metal plate but we cant get the balance of the stem out, so we can replace it. Needless to say we can't carry fresh water. Any suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
wdaley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:31 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaley04 View Post
On arrival in Myrtle Beach SC we went to sanitize the fresh water tank. As we were filling the tank, I noticed the water was just running out. Checking we noticed the petcock valve, the floppy thing, was gone! My husband removed the metal plate but we cant get the balance of the stem out, so we can replace it. Needless to say we can't carry fresh water. Any suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
I'd hit up the service department at the local Camping World. I'm not a fan of those places, however the techs have probably seen this before on other rigs and can recommend the best way to remove the remnants of your broken valve. That's a pretty high volume location, I would imagine they have a replacement valve in stock.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Talking Replace Water Drain Valve Without Cutting

Everyone:

The water drain valve can be changed without cutting into the tank cover!

At least on my 2015 25 FB, I was able to reach down through an access hole in the floor below the refrigerator, loosen the hose clamp holding the valve in place, pull out the old valve, put in the new valve and tighten the clamp.

This is best done as a two-person job, with one person outside to replace the valve while the person inside loosens the clamp, holds the hose and tightens the clamp. It requires removing the panel at the back of the cupboard under the refrigerator (2 screws) and lying on the floor to reach down into the access hole. You can't see the hose or the clamp, so this is done by feel. It's not easy, but much better than the alternative!

David
Overlanding is offline   Reply With Quote