Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Carmichael , CA
Unhappy Fresh Water Leak / Plumbing Diagram

Hola, Streamers

My wife and I recently purchased a 2014 20ft "discounted" Flying Cloud knowing that it had an undiagnosed fresh water leak. I replaced the pump which had a defective check valve as well as the fresh water inlet / regulator. It still leaks and I have not been able to locate a plumbing diagram or service manual.

The symptoms are: When running either the new fresh water pump or city water (some junction where they meet up?) ... I get leakage from a sealed chassis area behind the axle on the driver's side on either side of the sewage tanks / valves. There is no sign of leakage from either the gray or black water drains ... we can flush toilet, drain sink or shower w/o water leakage. As soon as we turn on pump or pressurize w/ city water ... it begins dripping.

I removed panels from inside trailer and cannot find signs of water on any of the lines.

Any help you can give or ... link to plumbing diagram or service manual would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
PhysicsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Some things to check

Check the fresh water valve to the toilet. That can be overlooked when you winterize. The foot operated valve is easy to replace.

Also check the pex lines in the bath area behind the cabinets and the low water drain valves and the outdoor shower.

Since you already found one leak, I suspect something else had water in it when it got cold enough to freeze and that cracked one or more fittings somewhere. The low places where plumbing is exposed to the coldest temps are where I would start looking.

You may be able to isolate the location by pressurizing your fresh water system with air using an adapter you screw into the city water port that lets you connect to an air hose. Pressurize to about 40 PSI, Then after turning off all the taps, listen for the air escaping from the leak(s).
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Carmichael , CA
Jim ... thx for your reply.

I finally did isolate the leak ... in the shower valve ... cocooned behind the molded shower shell. I excavated the valve leaving enough melamine material to re-attach the trim plate. I was able to replace all 3 pex elbows with shark-bites.

This was by far the most daunting repair I have had to do to date ... but it seems to have worked.

Thanks again ... I am saving you response for future leaks.

Dave
PhysicsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Excellent!

Good job Dave, you earned that discount!
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Also for reference, for many models and years (but not all), the parts manual available online with include fresh water diagrams. The User manuals most often include the grey and black sewer line diagrams.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I have the same model When I turn on the water pump it will come on intermittently. I Put a paper towel under the fresh water inlet valve behind the wall under the sink and after an evening the paper towel is wet. Hence I assume the leak is in the fresh water inlet valve. How in the world do I fix that when it’s inside the two walls. Thanks in advance
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
How did you replace and or access to fresh water inlet valve. that is where my leak is. Between the walls
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote