Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Do I really need a Tank Flusher or Outside Spigot?

I'm not trying to stir up controversy, but do I really need a Tank Flusher or an Outside Spigot?

I'm rebuilding a 29', 1992 Excella. It came OEM with a No Fuss Tank Flush port and an outside fresh water spigot. I was mulling over the plumbing for these today as I'm ready to install my flooring. The wife hearing me moan about this said, "How often in the 6 years before beginning the Shell Off rebuild last year did we use the outside spigot?" Answer: never. As for the tank flush, the label was missing, and I really didn't notice it or know what it was until about two years ago I did use it some after that, but don't think it did much. I thought my tank sensors might start working if I ran it. They did not.

We're unusual in that we don't put any paper products down the toilet. The only things that go into the toilet are what our bodies produce, some natural digestive enzymes, and water, That's it. Toilet paper, etc, goes into a small waste basket next to the toilet and that's emptied pretty much daily.

As for the spigot I wasn't completely honest, I did turn it on Once, just to see if it worked, I just Never needed it. If we're at a RV park I have a "Y" connector. If I'm boondocking why in the heck would I run my limited fresh water from my outside spigot? My brain says, "It was there for a reason, you never know, it might come in handy one day."

I'm pretty sure my brain is wrong again. So, I'm trying to think if there's any seriously good reason to re-plumb either one.

Your Thoughts?
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Nope. They are both "conveniences" in my opinion. Nice to have - but not not life changing.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I use mine most of the time, depends if there is a hose available. In the BLACK tank I use a digester with odor control and RV paper.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I also use mine whenever water and time is available. That being said plenty of RVs don’t have them. You’d want to have a Flush Adapter on hand if you don’t have internal sprayers just to be able to rinse the tank on occasion.

I’m with you on the outside spigot. The use case for that seems pretty narrow. I have used my outside shower to rise things or dogs off. If you don’t have one of those I can see the spigot ‘s use more clearly.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Exterior water port seems an extra that is not needed. I would not install. A low water drain might be an alternative if you felt water acess from the fresh tank was required.

The flush is a major yes. Hooked up yesterday and watched the debris roll out after the dump had slowed. Would not be without one, except if The coach lived in sub-freezing weather. Then an accessory wand might be a better alternative.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Um, if that outside spigot is in the lower curved green/gray compartment, it serves as an excellent water heater drain. Gets more water out than the plastic heater drain. I discovered this when replacing my freeze split tank last spring, after owning my classic for almost 10 years. Close all faucets and line drains...open pressure relief valve...open spigot. Siphon action drains almost all the tank water. The cold inlet for the heater has an internal tube which almost touches the very bottom of the tank.

In addition, I have a short hose and shower head for washing feet at the beach, particularly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is in fact, also a third low point drain....I'd keep it now that I fully realize it's benefits.

Also (if excella is like my 2007 Classic...and I think it is), that outside compartment will freeze without the spigot to drain the short section of lines...including the fresh water hookup fixture.

Can you post pic of your water center to verify my statements?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So I went outside and took a couple pics. This plumbing phenomenon was discussed many years ago, and I don't know if it was ever fully resolved, so let me try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Water compart.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	353276

This is the lower outside water hookup compartment I referred to. It contains the city water hookup and pressure regulator, black tank flush hookup, and the outside spigot. The spigot can be used as outside water supply whether on pump or city water....if the inside valve is in the proper position....more on that later. This compartment can obviously freeze, as it is below and outside the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside spigot foot valve.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	353277

This shot is just above the floor, inside the heated trailer and inside the water heater compartment, under the bath sink in my case. A lot of folks wondered why the odd one way foot valve bypass around the exterior water shutoff???
If the valve is open, as in the pic, both city water and onboard pump water will feed the spigot for washing, etc. If the valve is closed you will still have city water to the trailer, as the one way valve will open under pressure and flow...BUT you will not have fresh tank pump water flow to the outside spigot and no pressure to the regulator/fresh hookup.

In the winter, one would presumably use the tank water only. In this case, with the valve closed and the spigot open, the short sections of line below the floor will drain and no tank water will get to the outside compartment, thus saving freeze damage.

In addition to the hot water tank draining advantage as noted above, you NEED a drain for those lines and regulator for sub-freezing weather, if the trailer is being used and not winterized. In addition, when winterizing, close the valve inside and open the spigot before filling the lines with antifreeze.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Perfect explanation, right to the point, no guesswork. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Bob. Why that short explanation doesn't appear in the manual is a mystery to me. I wrote owner manuals for Buick for a couple years back in the 80s. Poor manuals frustrate me. It's not rocket surgery to do it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Perfect explanation, right to the point, no guesswork. Regards, Bob

Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Rich,
Thanks so much for the explanation on the plumbing. Our 1994 Classic is set up this way and I have scratched my head many times trying to understand the purpose of the check valve.
Re-Pete I would definitely set up the plumbing with the spigot and tank flusher. I use the spigot for many things while in camp such as washing the dog, cleaning things, etc..... It is also helpful at the dump station to add water to the tank flusher, clean stinky slinky’s and washing my hands after dumping. I have been to dump stations where there isn’t water available. The spigot also serves as a low point drain.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I like to keep my trailer as original as possible, so if I was in your situation I would still keep both of those features.

Since both black tank flush and outside spigots are becoming common on white box trailers, having them on your Airstream may help resale, whenever that time comes.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Rich,

Ok how about the orange power cord? I have an idea what you did but I’d prefer your explanation.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have both. Use neither.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Think of it like a bidet. If you have never used it, you don't know what you are missing. If you have ever used it, you won't go without it.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
FWIW, I use them both pretty regularly when flushing my black tank. I have a short piece of garden hose that I use to connect the spigot to the flush valve.

Without the spigot, I'd need to run a second water line to my water source, be it at the post (if I have a sewer connection on site), or at the dump station if I'm dumping there. Most of the dump stations I've been to don't have threads on the non-potable water hose, so it would mean using a sleeve to connect. Just easier to use my own fresh water tank most times - especially if I'm on the way home and want to dump some water.

I'm sure there will be some who say its bad practice to connect the spigot to the black tank flush for fear of backflow, but there's a backflow preventer on the flush, and good pressure on the spigot.
WBCCI #1783, Region 2, Ontario Canada Unit
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Having cracked our cheap oem combo ck val/BF presenter (req by code likely) on day 5 of a three mo trip because i didn't get every drop out during a quick otr winterization, i quickly realized that the tank rinse had done a pretty good job. Bought a camco wand at CW as it became apparent, even with a full tank dump, and holding the flush handle down, simply left some residue.

once home, I replaced the plastic oem cv/BF valve with a brass one and feel much comfortable leaving a few drops as i'm trying to finish the otr winterization after sunset.

I can see the equipment omission argument, but feel personal preference ain light of our TT model is better for us. In our 20 there is a lot of vulnerable plumbing in the area, hence the brass.

Next time I'll also pay more attention to wind direction/chill on the DS connection area.
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Rich,

Ok how about the orange power cord? I have an idea what you did but I’d prefer your explanation.

Gary
Ummmmm, I knew someone would catch that. That is a poor man's 45 amp service. The cord is permanently installed through the floor....for an extra heater and dehumidifier in cold weather when heat pump is used and I want my money's worth on an electric site.

Orrrr, like tonight...I am driveway camping out in rural america dissolving my uncle's previous life. (moved him into assisted living and am selling off his property and belongings) He has a very small "cabin" with 50A total, with about 10 20 amp circuits. It is 95* and sunny. Extra loads, other than A/C and fridge are run on the cord to a separate circuit in his place.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Rich,

Did you do a thread about this extra cord install? I've pondered same sorta idea extra outlet to run a space heater direct and not thru AS wiring. Terminates in a std receptacle?

Sorry about Uncle, you're a good guy for taking care of the task.

And now back to our regular programming. To flush or rinse?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I have had units with and without and I by far prefer the ones with. I know some may feel that it's a convenience, and it is, but when dealing with black tanks in particular, it is very nice to have. I bring with me a water bandit for when there are no hose type connections. Doesn't always work, but, still my vote would be to have one, put one in it if you are rebuilding or buy one with one. It's a sound investment.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote