Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Converting Thetford to Valterra puzzle

I have read all the various threads I can find about this subject but cannot find where what I describe below has been addressed. May have been but I am not good enough at hunting info on the forum to find it...

I have an older tri axle Excella that is equipped the Thetford valves. I am looking for easy way to make the conversion without all the sawing I read about. My question is --- Why can't I just glue (or use some of the powerful calk/glue calk used by AS) the Universal Adapter to the stubbed out Valterra connection? Then just switch my end cap to the Valterra end cap and be done with it... No sawing?

I am all ears... Thanks for educating me because there is probably some good reason that a newbie like me is missing! Thanks for feedback... Jim
griffithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If all you want to do is use a Valterra hose, then just put the adapter on the end and you are done. If the valves are working, why change them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Some of us Foretravel people have cut the Thedford connector and replaced it with a third valve with Valterra fittings. That might add a few inches to the overall length (maybe), so it may not work for you. The advantages of the third valve are that there is another safety (less chance of a surprise when you take the cap off) and the ability to empty the black tank, then close the third valve and open the grey tank, which fills the black tank with soapy water to help clean it out.

You would have to look at your specific arrangement to see if you could do this, but it is a fairly inexpensive project and doesn't take all that long.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Cut off the Thetford ring and glue on a Valtera ring.
Costs $2 and primer and glue. You already have the hacksaw!

Any good RV place Carries the valterra ring.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Post 3 above is how our 91 is plumbed, it came to me this way so I wasnt totaly aware it being altered other than it looking too new compared to the labeled valves.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
After 13 years, replaced the black and gray water valves, as both were leaking. During change, replaced connection fitting to Valterra. Have not regretted it. Camper Clinic II in Buda, TX did the repair and change.
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
Maryville , Tennessee
The pipe from the valves to the Thetford connection is 3 1/2" on my '96 30' Classic. I used a Zip saw to cut the connection of right at the back of the Thetford connection and gluded a Valterra connection on. Works fine and only took a few minutes.
earljones458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
That is what I have been doing. However, there are only two ears on the Universal Adapter and lately I have broken one of those ears off the adapter a couple of times trying to wrestle the hose on and off the adapter. I figured if I glue that adapter on it would likely hold more permanently; long as I use the right glue.... thanks. Jim
Old 12-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks and may have to look at that approach if I decide gluing the universal adapter on the Thetford connection want work. I think a third Valterra valve would interfere with the operation of the black water and gray water valves on the Airstream.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
So far both my valves are holding; if and when they start leaking I will go to with Valterra and change both out.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Cut off the Thetford ring and glue on a Valtera ring.
Costs $2 and primer and glue. You already have the hacksaw!

Any good RV place Carries the valterra ring.
I realize that is one fix; but why not just glue the adapter to the Thetford fitting? Be easier than cutting the Thetford fitting off. Just leave it glued in place? I would have to change out the Thetford cap to a Valterra cap? My question is there some reason I should not glue the adapter to the Thetford fitting?
Old 12-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks sir and possibly what I will have to do; but still wandering why just gluing the universal thetford to valterra adapter to the thetford connector would work just as well?

Jim
Old 12-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
I think you are asking if you can glue the Thetford to Valterra adapter to the Thetford outlet, the simple answer is yes. I assume that would be so that you don't have to worry about removing the adapter when you are trying to remove the cap or the hose. If that is correct, it would be fine to glue it on, probably with the appropriate pvc or similar cement. Be careful not to get the glue on the seal as it may damage the seal itself. Just put it on the circumferential surfaces. If you ever wanted to remove it, you would then have to saw it off.

My only question, if I have understood YOUR question is why? If your valves are ok, why change? I know that most modern hose sets come with Valterra fittings and I'm guessing that is the reason. I don't buy the hose sets. I just buy a high quality hose and install Thetford fittings. I like them better. They seem more robust to me.

If you do decide to glue it, get a new adapter with all ears intact. Happy New Year and good camping wishes to a triple axle friend!
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just silicone seal the adaptor on. If you eventually change valves use the Tetford again. They are good valves. And easy to rebuilt.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
I sure like this forum; lot of great suggestions for newbies like me.

fwjumper you have pegged my question and after reading your comments and Bill M and the others have decided to not try to glue it on. My Thetford valves are good. I have a couple of good Valterra sewer hose that I want to try to use; but they are a tight fit and I must have been putting the "Universal" adapter in a bind as I try to attach the Valterra hose and I broke a couple them trying to make the attachment. That is a pretty flimsy adapter in my opinion with only two ears holding it on. That is what got me thinking about gluing the thing to the Thetford connection exiting my sewer tanks. But; I have decided (Duh!) to change my approach and attach the adapter in advance to the Valterra hose (maybe even glue it on the hose end) and then each time twist on the adapter and hose to the Thetford ring.. That way I will not be messing up my Thetford system... At least I think I will try that first. After while a $10 a pop for the adapters; might as well go on an buy the Thetford hoses and forget it. Thanks for all the good advice... Jim
Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Bill M. Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to try to preserve the Thetford system and if I do glue the universal adapter to anything it will be the connection end of the Valterra sewer hose; not the Thetford connection exiting my sewer tanks. Thanks again. Jim