Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Black Tank Vent Connection Loose. Fix?

Howdy,

While checking water pump I noticed the black tank vent pipe is loose where it connects to the tank. I can move it up and down a little.

I don't want to break the roof seal by lifting too high to do a legit fix right now without confirmation it's ok.

If not should I just silicone or some other removable compound to seal fumes?

If so would construct PVC glue be the way to go is there something better for this connection? There's just a slopped on yellow adhesive now...

Thanks,

Rounder 44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If it is falling into the tank, I would take it back to the dealer for repair under warranty. If it is a slight movement, just a fraction of an inch it is probably ok. This intersection of tank/vent pipe should be flexible but not allow sewer gas inside the trailer. The connection at the tank needs to remain flexible so that the movement between full/empty and/or movement while traveling does not excessively stress the tank and crack it.

However, if you are going to DIY to limit movement, this would be my advice: Take the roof vent cover off. Then lift the vent pipe to just slightly, 1/4" minimum, above the metal roof and secure it at this level from the top, temporarily using something mechanical (screw, wedge, etc). Then use caulking around the perimeter of the roof opening to seal/adhere it in place.