Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Newspaper bags reign over other options!

Wow... big spenders here for plastic bags.

We keep all of the plastic newspaper wraps delivered six days a week for Canine Poo Poo Puree use. If we give it a fancy French name... it becomes a more elegant procedure and it improves my eye and hand coordination at my elevated age. You do not want to miss your targeted items.

You can also stuff PP PooPoo TP into these bags and they can be tied into knots and be hermetically sealed. This is scientific technical terminology being used.

Those that live in a desert environment and get only 'rubber bands' must have to figure out how to use those efficiently. Maybe after dehydration before use... DBU.

As luck would have it, only those with the acumen of saving quarters to become dollars can understand that being frugal is more important than stuffing those dollars into a trailer's black tank. We paid for our Airstream in those dollars. Not those used and stuffed, but those saved by being frugal. A handful of cents and nickels are not a very good option.

I still pick up One Cent clad coins when spotted. Canadian cents and nickels are better and worth more than face value for their metal content. The deluxe bags used by Maggie and FCStreamer can easily hold $25 in valuable cash, versus US or Canadian paper currency which are not worth the paper to... well, not worth as much in weight.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I only get the Sunday papers, and they are not wrapped, tho I do save produce bags for doggie doo-doo.

If I'm going to have it hanging in my bathroom, I'm going to have to be able to stand to look at it.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
There are some really, really good Black Water tank problems 'filling up' the Forum. They are a must read, but like myself... you need to restrain yourself from adding any sensitive humor to the... pot.

In the Netherlands in the early 1960's, as a kid who could be flexible... they had Chamber Pots or you could just do Number one out the window onto the grassy areas below. They still used out houses since Napoleon was looking for more resume material. For other options I did use the out house.

Last time we visited the homestead, they had sewers and flushers. Wow. I do miss those days as a kid. And, I do not recall having a shower but used the same techniques at the homestead as we still do while camped in our Airstream. The shower is for storing extra pillows and blankets.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
WHY even dump toilet paper down your stool in the first place?
Well, there's your problem right there.

If you've got toilet paper in your stool you're doing it wrong.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
Well, there's your problem right there.

If you've got toilet paper in your stool you're doing it wrong.
At first I had a question mark over my head thinking this one over.

You are really Clever! I give you five stars just for befuddling me for a bit. Does not happen often.

Some may have the sequence wrong from reading the instructions on the packaging, must be your point. Obvious to us, those with problems have toilet paper in their stool and could easily correct the situation by getting the sequence of steps, changed.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
tp troubles

There is one small black tank in a 65 caravel, and no space to move to if it plugs then smells! In Venice and also any Greek island, it is a violation of local ordinance to put TP down the toilet; you could back up the entire city! so I have decided that to be nicer to my airstream, and my up north septic system and to my partners more sensitive nose, and be like a greek island and bag all my used TP. those of you who have never had a problem, good on you. You are a very small club in the rv world. I always sit down for #1, because I cleaned school bathrooms for 26 yrs, and I can tell ya, guys can't aim worth a darn! joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
At first I had a question mark over my head thinking this one over.

You are really Clever! I give you five stars just for befuddling me for a bit. Does not happen often.

Some may have the sequence wrong from reading the instructions on the packaging, must be your point. Obvious to us, those with problems have toilet paper in their stool and could easily correct the situation by getting the sequence of steps, changed.
Having stool filled tp would eliminate any wiping, yes?
gabugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Powder Springs , Georgia
An old timer recently suggested adding a bag of ice to the black tank following dumping. Gonna give that a try next time we're out and about.

Bug
gabugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Somewhere in this thread a comment was made to add 5 gallons of water after several times of use prior to dumping. Do you take a bucket or what to get all that water into the black tank?
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bring a newspaper and SIT on the Pot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Somewhere in this thread a comment was made to add 5 gallons of water after several times of use prior to dumping. Do you take a bucket or what to get all that water into the black tank?
I take a five gallon plastic bucket and dump fresh water down the toilet inside the trailer. Turn the water pump OFF and hold down the 'down the hatch' with your foot while you pour the water.

If five gallons does the job, try three gallons... you will find a volume that works best for you.

Add some chemical everyone sells to 'bio degrade' the solids. They claim it works. I do not know.

'Modern Society' has left few options for those who have never experienced what others, at far away places like camped in isolation within a National Forest in Idaho, do for regular bodily functions. It is not polite discussion on television and everyone remains ignorant on how much of the world goes on with their 'daily business'.

Our restroom is a shovel, TP and a short hike away from the campsite. The TP should be disposed of as trash as it takes forever to break down in the arid climates. But... if I depended on everyone to do the right thing, I would not be picking up plastic and aluminum containers in the forest.

At least the Alaska programs describe moving the Out House when... at capacity. Styrofoam apparently is a popular seat option.

The San Blas Indians in Panama in the late 1950's, as an observant kid, I never did figure out where their restrooms were located. The thatched house was there, no running water of any kind and no restroom to be seen. Never gave it a thought until now. No odors, smells or people wandering around looking for a public restroom.

The northwest part of Flathead Lake near Somers, Montana had Flathead Indians, or at least what was left of the relatives, set teepees along the shores of the lake when my father was a kid. Nobody discussed restroom facilities, but obviously there were no public restrooms then, either. Never bothered to ask, but obviously the Indians were not at any discomfort knowing what to do after generations of migrating in the area.

When those on wells have their electricity go down... no water. The average 'city dweller' would have a steep learning curve when Off the Grid. Ignorance, at times, is not bliss. It is frustration and a call to 911 before the entire family is in distress over things that should have been taught in a history class.

Water is to drink first.
The other options are exactly that. Options. Not priorities. Some day this will become important. Right now... you are on your own and be prepared.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Yeah, the "rest of the world" has it easy when it comes to sanitation - no plumbing, toilets, TP, etc. to worry about. Of course, 2200 children around the world - mostly in third world countries - die of sanitation-related diseases every day, for a total of over 800,000 dead kids per year. CDC And that doesn't even count the adults. But still, sanitation is overrated.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote