Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
Coyotetrack

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Barbara , California
Black and grey tanks filled unexpectedly

A weird thing happened on last outing to full hookups campground. Upon setting up and hooking up, including turning on water from campground supply, the black and grey tanks filled up. No faucets were running. I noticed it when dripping came from around toilet area. Then I noticed the toilet completely full. It was a mess. How could this have happened? If pressure was too high does relieve valve empty into the tanks?

I donít camp much with full hookups so I must have done something wrong. When using a water supply do you still use the pump or is the street pressure enough?

Thanks,
Coyotetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My guess is that you connected the city water too the black tank flush connection. It happens...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Toilet backed up is a pretty good way to say the black tank is full.

How do you know the gray tank is full? Did the shower backup?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
My guess is that you connected the city water too the black tank flush connection. It happens...
^
YEP

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37DB2890-A831-46EF-828C-E128522893E0_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	406026   Click image for larger version

Name:	41CC0A8A-4041-4ABF-9782-58AE7EFE529D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	406027  

Love for the Adirondacks

Instead of going to íStarbucksÖI make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I’m pretty sure you unintentionally hooked your water hose to the outlet that activates your black tank flush sprinkler versus to the city water outlet. On my AS, both outlets are located right next to each other vertically. They should be better marked.
P.S. when using the black tank flush with black tank valve closed, don’t let it fill longer than 5 minutes before pulling the black tank valve open. Varying water pressures at campgrounds can fill the tank fast with the same result as this Poster.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I’m pretty sure you unintentionally hooked your water hose to the outlet that activates your black tank flush sprinkler versus to the city water outlet. On my AS, both outlets are located right next to each other vertically. They should be better marked.
P.S. when using the black tank flush with black tank valve closed, don’t let it fill longer than 5 minutes before pulling the black tank valve open. Varying water pressures at campgrounds can fill the tank fast with the same result as this Poster.
More like 2 1/2 minutes for OP.

Please note; your 25' has 38 gallon black tank while his 23' has only 18 gallon black tank.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We had that happen, used the black tank flush instead of the city water hook up (and we've been using this trailer for 3 years now, it was a total oops). Luckily, we caught it when it started dripping outside although the toilet was totally full it didn't overflow and even luckier still our black tank had been fully cleaned out on the last trip and it had nothing in it at all.

To be sure it never happens again, we painted the cap of the black tank flush with a bit of red nail polish as a warning! A cute little skull and crossbones...
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
A perfect example as to why anti-siphon devices are needed.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Santa Cruz , California
Something similar happened to me last time out in my 23'FB. I wasn't using the Direct city water connection but was using the forwards connection where you can fill with hose or by hand. My grey water tank started to fill. I assumed it was because I didn't leave a faucet open as an air vent. I caught it at 25% so didn't need to make an extra dump but it was a bit of a PITA.
Any ideas on what is happening with either the OPs or mine?
Twinfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfins View Post
Something similar happened to me last time out in my 23'FB. I wasn't using the Direct city water connection but was using the forwards connection where you can fill with hose or by hand. My grey water tank started to fill. I assumed it was because I didn't leave a faucet open as an air vent. I caught it at 25% so didn't need to make an extra dump but it was a bit of a PITA.
Any ideas on what is happening with either the OPs or mine?
Hi

There is no direct connection from the fresh water tank to the gray tank. Unless the water pump is running, there is no connection from the fresh tank to the plumbing inside the trailer.

Best guess: As the weight went up, the trailer shifted and the sensor on the gray tank went from 0 to "something". They are not high resolution devices.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
Coyotetrack

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Barbara , California
Thanks

Thanks everyone. Yup, did the dumb mistake of hooking the water up to the flush connection. Live and learn. Have a great day.
Coyotetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Water hook up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotetrack View Post
Thanks everyone. Yup, did the dumb mistake of hooking the water up to the flush connection. Live and learn. Have a great day.
I recommend that you NOT Use the Water hook for you water pressure.
Use the pump.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
Bobaganoosh

2005 19' International CCD
Tucson , Arizona
I agree, you almost certainly hooked up the city water to the flush connection.
We did that our very first time out!
Fortunately, Bambi was brand new & clean, because we had a lovely little waterfall coming down the steps as we sipped our cocktails by the fire!
😎
bobaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
Bay city , Michigan
As to your other question about running the pump while hooked up to city water, no, the pump is not needed.
Jomo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Toilet backed up is a pretty good way to say the black tank is full.

How do you know the gray tank is full? Did the shower backup?

Bob

I would have thought that when you hook up to the flush fitting the black tank would fill and then back up until the roof vent for that tank overflowed onto the roof, and the toilet should not fill if the toilet flush valve was not opened. I have done that.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Iím pretty sure you unintentionally hooked your water hose to the outlet that activates your black tank flush sprinkler versus to the city water outlet. On my AS, both outlets are located right next to each other vertically. They should be better marked.
P.S. when using the black tank flush with black tank valve closed, donít let it fill longer than 5 minutes before pulling the black tank valve open. Varying water pressures at campgrounds can fill the tank fast with the same result as this Poster.
And definitely be sure to use an external water pressure regulator on the connector to your black tank flush. There is no internal regulator. I blew out the cheap plastic check valve on my 2019 25 FC early this year due to high water pressure. I actually heard in pop. Replacing the $5 part was easy.. Accessing it was a pain .

In my case no leak was created because the broken piece completely blocked the inlet tubing between the check valve and black tank. But I could not flush the black tank due to the obstruction.

Neither my AS manual nor the plumbing diagram I received from Jackson Center showed this gray plastic check valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D44F6DE4-AC80-426F-9EED-AE0097EAF5DF.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	406693  
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomo58 View Post
As to your other question about running the pump while hooked up to city water, no, the pump is not needed.
The electric pump is the safest way to use the Airstream water system.
The pressure form the outside water source is unprecictable at best. That unknown pressure can ruin a trip in a few seconds when the pressure finds
the weakest point in your plumbing.