Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Bad odor in 2011 30' FC

I have had a 2011 30' FC for less than a year. We used it last in January, and it has been stored since. I check it every couple weeks. About a month ago I noticed a bad odor, seemingly from the black tank. I added a couple gallons of water through the toilet and used the chemical pellets 3 or 4 times. The toilet holds the water fine, but the odor persists. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check the batteries, and check for evidence of mice.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I believe that gases from the grey tank are to blame. Keeping water in the sinks' drains will help. Don't forget the shower.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Empty the tanks, and run water through to rinse them out before putting it into storage. JBinKC is probably right - it may be the grey. Pour some water down the drains and shower to flush the stagnant standing water, or did you put antifreeze in them before you put it away?
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If the trailer is attached to shore power, a rotten egg smell could be coming from the battery...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Trophy Club , Texas
Batteries or grey tank. Thanks for the responses. I took the antifreeze out two weeks ago and flushed all fixtures including the shower. I never thought about the batteries, but the trailer is plugged in at the storage facility so the batteries are charging as the trailer sits. What should I check for re the batteries. They are obviously on the outside of the trailer and I don't smell anything until I open the door. The smell is inside. Any further advise? Thanks.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The toilet and lid surfaces must be squeaky clean. Could there be a dead mouse? I would still be suspicious of the black tank. Look down into the black tank with a flashlight, any residual solids in there? Odors coming out?

The standard converter in your Airstream puts too high of constant voltage when left plugged in over long periods, and could seriously damage the batteries. Some have replaced the converter with a 3-stage type converter/charger, others do not plug in the trailer, but use a small portable 3-stage charger such as Battery Minder to keep the batteries up. Others are stored outside with a solar charging system.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Check out the Camco Cyclone Sewer Vent for a solution to extracting gases from your holding tanks. It has proven to be a positive addition to our Airstream. Since installing it after experiencing the same problem that you are having, we have not had any odours, with or without chemical additions to the holding tanks. Jim