RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Cataumet , Massachusetts
Alde heating system

The Alde heating system was new in 2017 [I think]. I was wondering if there were any problems that had to be worked out in the first few years before they worked properly. We are thinking of buying a used Airstream and am looking for any feedback on if there were any years to stay away from. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We sold our motorhome because of too many maintenance issues and don't want to return to that again.
Thanks in advance.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
JEB
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Lisle , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The Alde heating system was new in 2017 [I think]. I was wondering if there were any problems that had to be worked out in the first few years before they worked properly. We are thinking of buying a used Airstream and am looking for any feedback on if there were any years to stay away from. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. We sold our motorhome because of too many maintenance issues and don't want to return to that again.
Thanks in advance.
I had an Alde in my previous, non-Airstream, trailer. I had read somewhere on this forum that there was at one time a recall on the Aldes installed in Airstreams because of a missing grounding wire and the kind of glycol used at the factory in early production runs. Both issues have been remedied but you should check the one youíre buying to make sure if it was part of the recall and the work has been completed.

Assuming those issues are ok, itís very important to check the glycol during your inspection. See if you can get access to the expansion tank. If itís dry, thatís a big problem because itís likely the system is dry and if it was operated dry, the circulation pump could be damaged. If the glycol level in the tank is ok, check the color and make sure it isnít brown. If itís brown, that likely means there is corrosion in the lines and that could be an even bigger problem. The Alde system is supposed to be flushed and refilled every two years but a lot of owners donít keep up with the maintenance and a lot of shops donít have the equipment to do it properly.
JEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Thanks in advance.
This thread contains a long, sordid story about Alde in the Classic models. It probably contains anything you'd want to know about the system in those trailers.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote