RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Airstream Internation 28" Pex Leak Fix

Hi All,

I've had a small leak, I think for years, that I have tracked down to a leaking join in the hot water line, directly under the fridge. I have made the equivalent piece of pex and am trying to push it in with the push in fittings. I need to just push this thing in another 1/4 of an inch ...

https://imgur.com/a/GpNBtEu

Any tips on how to get this thing pushed in? I effectively have to lay face down in the cabinet under the stove just to reach it with both arms. So pushing it together is the equivalent of holding both arms out straight overhead and pushing together. It's tough, I got it pretty far. And most of that was squeezing the fitting and the tubing with my hands.

Any tips?

Austin
godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Looking at the other end, it was clear that I had cut that side of the PEX at an angle. So it's possible that my mark is 1 1/4" in instead of 1", depending on where I measured the mark from. Proceeding on the assumption that I had pushed it together sufficiently, I put the rest of it together and connected water. What do you know? No leaks! I didn't turn the hot water heater on though, that's the only time it had leaked before, presumably the hot line is under higher pressure when the heater is actually on.

Any advice on how to better test the line could be useful. Otherwise, I will be trying the hot water heater tomorrow AM. Getting too hot now.

Thanks, and safe travels to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godber View Post
Hi All,

I've had a small leak, I think for years, that I have tracked down to a leaking join in the hot water line, directly under the fridge. I have made the equivalent piece of pex and am trying to push it in with the push in fittings. I need to just push this thing in another 1/4 of an inch ...

https://imgur.com/a/GpNBtEu

Any tips on how to get this thing pushed in? I effectively have to lay face down in the cabinet under the stove just to reach it with both arms. So pushing it together is the equivalent of holding both arms out straight overhead and pushing together. It's tough, I got it pretty far. And most of that was squeezing the fitting and the tubing with my hands.

Any tips?

Austin
Old 10-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by godber View Post
Any advice on how to better test the line could be useful.
Compressed air, similar to winterizing or how new home construction roughed in plumbing is tested. If you know the exact area of concern and can see and reach it apply a regulated 40PSI or so to city water connection and soap bubble test the area.

I made a combo winterizing and leak down test tool for water system. If you'd like further details, ask I'll describe.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Tempe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Compressed air, similar to winterizing or how new home construction roughed in plumbing is tested. If you know the exact area of concern and can see and reach it apply a regulated 40PSI or so to city water connection and soap bubble test the area.

I made a combo winterizing and leak down test tool for water system. If you'd like further details, ask I'll describe.

Gary
Good suggestion, I got the brass adapter, I'll get a regulated air compressor and try that in a few months when I pick it up from storage again. I might try redoing the plumbing, getting a different cutter so I can make a more even cut.

Thanks

- Austin