Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Germantown , Tennessee
70's water regulator. Keep? Test? Replace?

As part of my reno, I'm redoing the plumbing in my '73 Safari. Picture shows the water pressure regulator and (I think) the pressure relief valve. (Please ignore the hole in the floor...that's been taken care of with all-new floor in the bathroom.)

Question: I don't know if this regulator is original. I will probably just replace, but I don't know the internals to know if these are bulletproof or have to be replaced periodically. So some thought there would be nice. I have read where folks take it out altogether and use an external regulator hooked up to the water inlet. What do folks recommend?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	403592  
lojoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #2

1976 Argosy 24
Salem , Oregon
Remove

I removed my regulator and one way valve when the valve had a dramatic failure. Replaced the one way valve with a ball valve and use an external pressure reg on my hose. Easy and reliable!
FamilyCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Lots of folks put the (portable) pressure regulator directly onto the outlet of the shore water supply. This way, the water pressure is already regulated before it hits your potable water supply hose. The downside in going this route is that you lose it, leave it behind, or forget to install it.

good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote