Old 07-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

2020 33' Classic
Birmingham , AL
2020 Classic Hot Water Help

We just bought a new 2020 Classic trailer and have it set up at our first RV Park. We have the propane on and it plugged into shore power and water. Before we shower we turn up the shower boost on the Alde system but we still just have lukewarm water. I read in another forum that there is a temperature regulator behind the shower handle in the bathroom. We removed the handle and found the temp regulator but now can't seem to get the collar off. On the Kohler website it has a red collar with a set screw that can be removed but on this one it has an orange collar (picture attached) that we can't seem to get off. Does anyone know how to remove this or have other advice for getting hot water to the shower?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kohler.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	372134  

JuliaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Las Vegas , Nevada
Hi! We are in the same position. After a 10 day vacation in our new 33’... we are back home Andy taking it in for repair.

We couldn’t get hot water at any faucet or shower.

Airstream tried to trouble shoot over the phone for a couple of days... never did they recommend taking the faucets apart.

I hope they can figure it out. I have read so many nightmares on the Alde systems.

Ahh... and don’t pay attention to my screen name - we had a 2020 Globe but traded it in for the Hot waterless Classic.

30Globe2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi JuliaAnne and 30Globe2020,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 07-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Also check the Alde threads on the forums. You may need to adjust the pump speed and mixing valve. I did all three fixes, pump speed, mixing valve and removed the shower limiter. With the shower boost turned on the water temperature in the system is 160+ degrees.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
I agree you should check the Alde threads. There is an adjustment on the plumbing near the Alde water tank itself. It is a safety setting. You can increase the temperature by moving the valve setting. No need to change shower valve settings.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Pull the orange thing. Is slides on to the gear but it is tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFFF4313-6D1A-4D49-9EE8-1AD17482E9F8.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	372254   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8E276B1-BA5E-4EE1-96B2-9385DB250D6B.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	372255  

LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I don’t have pics but in the Alde thread there is discussion of the mixing valve. That is the main issue. Brass T looking thing with a black plastic ‘hat’. Under the rear dinette seat. Mine is in the end cap facing the door.

Unscrew the screw on top of the hat. Turn the geared knob under the hat to adjust how much cold water is mixed with the hot water. That adjusts the temp of the water supplied on ‘full hot’. The water direct from Alde is too hot so it is mixed with some cold and sent through the lines as hot. Code regs make them set that too cold for us humans. Needs to be adjusted. Very simple, don’t be afraid of gushing water. You’ve got this. And congrats on the new camper and some early mods! Hot water adjustments were our first as well.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
Very simple, donít be afraid of gushing water. Youíve got this. And congrats on the new camper and some early mods! Hot water adjustments were our first as well.
Well, if it's the same mixing valve as the '17 Classic, gushing water is very possible. First, OFF the Alde, OFF the pump or hose to the trailer. Then run hot water until your air cushion is expended. Turn the knob to the + or Hot position stop. Remove knob screw, pull knob off, twist it so the pointer is now at the - or Cold position. Reinstall the knob and screw. ON, Alde, water, twist the valve to max and see if the water is hot enough.

It is possible to unscrew the valve stem from the mixing valve, and if water (hot) pressure is present, there will be "Water in the People Tank"; always a bad day in submarines and Airstreams. And internal parts will be sprayed with the water across the trailer.

The '17 Classic thread was Much Ado About Alde. Perhaps time for some one to start a 2020 Alde Knowledge Base thread. Always easier to learn when all the user knowledge is in one place.

Lifetime learning is the operating system for 'streamers. Keep safe out there.
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

2020 33' Classic
Birmingham , AL
*Resolved*

Three things happened that got this resolved. We called airsteam and sent in a request online and they were no help other than asking us to bring in the airsteam to a tech.

1. I contacted Alde directly and ,Michael Schicker, a Sr Development Technologist called us quickly. He was very helpful and told us where the 2 flow knobs were located that needed to be checked and set to 2.5. Both of ours were set at 1.5 from the factory.

2. We removed the flow regulator from the shower head so now we have some water pressure.

3. Thanks to help from this thread we were able to adjust the temperature behind the wall plate of the shower valve.

I am very happy to say that I had a nice hot shower last night!!!

JuliaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote