Old 07-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

2020 16' Bambi
Newmarket , New Hampshire
2020 Bambi 16 sewer odor

I keep having issue where sewer odor is coming from under sink, opening silverware drawer almost knocks me over, one occasion I had to leave the trailer. I was told its just bad design of putting the vacuum whatever under there that if you turn exhaust fan on it pulls the odor thru the trailer.

Doesnt happen all the time but this is truly disgusting/health issue I would think design problem

Anyone else have this problem and any solutions?

Thank you, Ruth

Rmtm1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

42 2' 27" N / 74 7' 6" W , US
This is the diagram from 2020 Airstream Manual. The long pipe exits the roof of the trailer that carries gasses out. Could it be that there is no water in the S trap under the kitchen galley maybe its leaking, check for wetness under there or possibly a bird built a nest in the cap on the roof or a cracked waste pipe. These are just maybe.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	371988

Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
In the diagram, "3" doesn't appear to have a trap in that image.

If there is no trap, the galley drain will act as a vent. Since you are running a shared black/grey tank, you will be smelling the toilet tank as well. Yuk!

If the wind is blowing, it can force air into the roof vent resulting in smell being pushed up the drain pipe to the sink.

You should be able to see if there is a trap just by looking under the sink. If there is a trap, run some water in the sink and let the trap fill with water. That we help with the smell.

Check the connections from the sink to the tank. You should be able to see if any are loose or disconnected.

You could also look at adding a one way flapper of sorts to the roof vent. This can help by preventing air pressure from entering at the roof vent. Turning on the fantastic fan will also draw air in the roof vent and up the sink. If your windows are closed while running the fan, that should be one time when the smell gets quite strong.

You should add some deodorizer like Happy Camper to your tank as well. You need that in the tank to help keep it clean and break things down. Depending on which product you use, will dictate how much to put in but add it at after you drain the tank every time.

Hope this helps!
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I have a 2017 16 and it has an S trap, another thought if you have never used the shower S trap may be dry. I seriously doubt the kitchen galley was designed not to have the trap.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I have a 2017 16 and it has an S trap, another thought if you have never used the shower S trap may be dry. I seriously doubt the kitchen galley was designed not to have the trap.
I think you are right. Not even Airstream would be so mean as to forget this important part. Most likely the traps need water and a window needs to be cracked open while the fan is running.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Burnsville , Minnesota
If the trap is dry, then you smell foul smells in the sink. Since the smell is under the sink the problem is with the island vent. It is located behind the sink and under the faucet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_170154.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	372039  
jdm-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Burnsville , Minnesota
Check the island vent on the waste stack

If the trap is dry, then you smell foul smells in the sink. Since the smell is under the sink the problem is with the island vent. It is located behind the sink and under the faucet.
jdm-mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another name for the "island vent" mentioned above is "Air Admittance Valve". That may help if you want to google it.

AAVs are commonly used in houses as well as RVs. They do fail sometimes. I'm in the middle of replacing one in my trailer. My AAV was glued in but usually they are just screwed in, so they can be easily replaced.

On another thread here, someone says there is one simple test you can do: unscrew the AAV and shake it. You should hear it rattle. If no rattle, it is bad, so replace it. Or there is some chance you could get it working by washing it in a bucket of soapy water--maybe there is some dirt preventing the valve from working right.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
You have a 2020 trailer with a 3-year warranty. Why not take it to an Airstream dealership and ask them to fix it?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
2019 16' Sport
Worthington , Massachusetts
Red face Air Admittance Valve

We had a sewer odor cominng from under the sink of our 16' Bambi also after about a half year of purchasing it new. The smell would crop up under certain weather conditions or sometimes when we used the overhead Fantastic fan. Traced the smell to the "air admittance valve" as depicted in the photo by jdm-nm. Not knowing what it was at the time, I just put saran wrap around the top of the valve with a rubber band. Stopped the odor. Never had it again. Stranger yet, never had problems with water draining in our sink. I guess we just got lucky.
We got 3 foot-itis and traded the 16' Bambi in for a 19 footer. This was a good move for us and we are quite happy with the 19 footer. Anyway during the trade-in, I mentioned to the technician at the dealership about the saran wrap modification I made. He told me about it likely being a faulty valve which he would replace before the Bambi would get a new owner. Our 19' doesn't have any odors, but I now know what to do if they appear. Saran wrap of course - till a new valve arrives from Amazon.
Searching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

I never noticed that Air Admittance Valve under the galley sink behind and above the S trap, this is good information. Thank You all above that know your trailers
Old 07-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #12

2020 16' Bambi
PatLee: Airstream service is who told me it was how it was designed!
jdm-mn/SSquared: I found the AAV! Not screwed on, and not glued on since I can easily turn it! Will try to remove and test! (Tight space)
I know they had issues with glueing pipes as one end of the p trap not glued and shower water poured out of the bottom of trailer!
Someone else suggested water in the shower drain Which I did.

All: Thank you very much!!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #13

2020 16' Bambi
AAV under sink

So I obviously misunderstood - took cap off, thats not what I need to shake to test....its the whole section below the cap thats glued on that needs to come off to be tested.

At least I can now talk intelligently to AS service next time I bring it in. Til then, may just use Saran Wrap!

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B328B7A8-1D48-4070-AF7E-2272B768C73C.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	372148   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6D5DD64-1DE1-4E63-B6CF-FC62E28BB375.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	372149  

Old 07-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Sounds like the perfect storm! Install only one roof vent and then share your black and grey tanks.

Then rely on a simple valve to take care of the rest.

Just thinking out loud but I might be inclined to install another vent pipe and a water trap under the sink if possible. It would be a lot of work in the end but that's what I like to do

I guess a new AAV and perhaps a backup stored in the trailer would work as well and be much simpler.

I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction!