Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Tijeras , New Mexico
2018 30' Flying Cloud: No water. Just pours out of low point drains

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure this one out...

When I plug in the city water, it simply pours out the two low point drain tubes under the trailer. I've contacted Airstream and looked at the owners manual... all it says is to check the winterization valve under the dinette seat... Well.. I've done that and it still pours out. There must be another valve somewhere to fix this..

I'm stumped.... with no water to the AS..

Thanks,
Darren
MarinesPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Somewhere inside the trailer right above the two places the water is pouring out of there should be a hidden pair of shutoff valves. The Airstream manuals have tended to be a very generic guide, and often miss details like this.

Search around and under stuff in the vicinity of the tubes--the valves should be right above them. They may be well-buried and hard to spot.

As an example, some of mine are hidden behind a drawer under the kitchen cabinet, and one is under a false hinged shelf in the bottom of my wardrobe cabinet where my water heater resides...my 'manual' mentions nothing about that one...

And we won't talk about the hard to remove kick panel that totally conceals the water pump...

Once you find the valves, turn the handle so the handle is crossways to the pipes going in and out of it...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario

The low point drains on my 30’ Signature are located behind the access panel, under the rear dinette seat, and are accessed through a hole in the floor. Find somebody to help who has really tiny hands that are really strong and can bend his wrists to 270 degrees.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Darren did you read my reply in that other thread?

Peter

[click on orange arrow to go there]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
On older threads you need to quote the OP if you want to get his or her attention IMO.

FWIW our low point drains [FC20] are well-hidden by the pipes under our dinette seat near the water heater. They are hard to find, and even harder to turn on and off -- those sticky plastic valves with 90 degree on/off. There are more low point drains in out rear storage compartment also.

The new search function in the blue box above works well, and these results may point in a productive direction IMO.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2017...=airforums.com

MarinesPT can you see where the low point drain lines exit the belly pan? The valves should be just above +/-.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
If the low point drains are gushing water when you are attached to city water, they should also be gushing when running the pump. If not, I think that you may have a more severe issue.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio

Valves I had to find on my ‘18 FC rear bunk: 1: under the rear full bed, pulled the mattress up and there is a hole in the plywood, reached it easier through the back right external storage door, there is a hole in the wall inside it that was easier for me to get a handle on the valve and turn it. 2: inside the furnace heat vent under the range (to the left a hair) the vent cover and wood panel pulls away, the vent is flex tubing, and there is a valve 6 or so inches in. Then there are the valves under the left wheels.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I have a 2014 FC 30' Bunk and the two drain valves you are talking about are outside under the trailer where the water would pour out. I assume you looked there but just in case...
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Tijeras , New Mexico
Thanks so much. I was able to find the hidden black valves and shut them off. All is good now. Whew!! I would have guessed these valves would be a bit more like brass fittings... but ok.

Thanks for the help!

Darren
Old 08-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Wherever your water tank is (mine is between left 2 tires), there is a valve. Is it closed?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinesPT View Post
Thanks so much. I was able to find the hidden black valves and shut them off. All is good now. Whew!! I would have guessed these valves would be a bit more like brass fittings... but ok.

Thanks for the help!

Darren
Where were they, please, so other folks can learn from this.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Tijeras , New Mexico
We had to remove the entire panel underneath the dinette seat and lift a piece of vinyl that was concealing the black valves. They were impossible to see or reach through the small round opening. Both were hard to turn but the problem has been resolved!

Thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks that is crazy!

Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
"Thanks that is crazy!"
Ditto.

Observation: The dealer didn't do a complete pre-delivery check list from the factory?

What? Owners manual more guidelines than actual as-built detail? No, tell me it ain't so!

Sorry about the sarcasm. But I too have unfortunately discovered that the owner's manual is not a truth teller. Small problem with the bathroom sink draining into the black water tank and not into the grey water tank. Manual says grey water tank. IMO if you can't be accurate about this kind of stuff, then don't have one.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Great that everything is working now.

1. Looks like the Dealer prepared your unit, by testing and then bleeding all the air from your plumbing system.....and then unfortunately, failed to close lowpoints before delivery to owner.

2. I wish to heck Airstream could provide accurate and detailed plumbing and electrical schematics for each model trailer.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote