Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Franklin , TN
2017 Sport 22FB - Shower cartridge

Does anyone have a link to instructions or a video showing how to replace the shower cartridge (handle - on / off), not shower head, for a 2017 Bambi 22ft? It is a Moen fixture and I just need to replace the cartridge not the entire thing. Thanks!
J5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Garibaldi Highlands , British Columbia
Did you ever get any help with this? I have the same issue now but can’t figure it out.
Squampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Call Moen customer support. If they can't identify the cartridge from your description, take a picture and send it to the address they give you.

Lifetime warranty. Great service.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I was searching through the Airstream site the other day and came across a parts book for my trailer. It shows just about everything. Lots of exploded views included and part numbers which appear to be google friendly as well.

J5man, Here is a link to your parts book: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...Parts-Book.pdf

I hope this helps.
PB_NB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Franklin , TN
Thanks everyone. I have not had a chance to go back and work on it again yet, but I have a few ideas now. I will let you know if I can resolve it myself or if I have to take it in. One idea I had was to call a plumber to meet me at the Airstream at the storage location and let them have a shot at it.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
As you enter the 22’ main door...look immediately to your left and you will see a removable panel adjacent to the main door entrance. Pop the plastic screw covers off and remove that panel, in order to access the backside of that Moen fixture, if necessary.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
I have been trying to get my leaky cartridge changed on a 2018 sport 22’ for about a year now. I had it in for that fix along with a few other things before the warranty expired last April. The dealer couldn’t find the leak, but as soon as I got it home it started leaking again. Since the dealership is 300 miles away they suggested sending the cartridge and me doing it myself. Assuming it was a moen cartridge I watched all the online videos but they were completely different cartridges. I then noticed in very fine print on the faceplate of the shower control it says “fontana”.
I could not find any instructions to remove this brand cartridge and the dealer pointed me to here for advice. I’ve since figured out how to remove and replace it but unfortunately snapped a water hose in the process. I did have to go in through the back trap door to access. You can reach it from the shower but the seal is so tight after 3 years of use I Couldn’t get enough pressure on the fitting from that angle. Unfortunately when I pulled back the fitting I snapped off the right angle hose fitting to the shower hose. I’m waiting for a replacement to come to finish the job. All wound have been fixed by the dealership if they had bothered to connect the trailer to water before trying to diagnose a water leak, but let’s not go there.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Franklin , TN
Wow! what a pain in the A$$.....I have called two dealers also and not a lot of help really. They don't want to deal with it either. Thanks everyone for your insight. Stay tuned on the saga : )
Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Franklin , TN
Thanks to you for the info on here and trial and error, I have finally replaced the entire faucet. I will post the instructions below. A few observations: The shower is not a Moen as indicated by Airstream, it is a Fontana brand as listed above in another comment. There are no instructions online anywhere that I could find to repair the factory installed shower. This thread was the best source of information. I replaced it with a Delta brand per a plumbers suggestion. So to "repair" a leaky faucet on this unit, you really need to REPLACE it. More info listed below with a few pictures too. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Franklin , TN
Airstream Shower Replacement for 2017 Bambi Sport 22 FB

Current shower is not a Moen as indicated. It is made by Fontana.
No online instructions or videos could be found. Plumber recommended Delta brand.

Take out current unit:

1. Unscrew handle with allen wrench. Then unscrew cartridge and trim fittings from inside
2. Access panel on wall to left as you walk into Airstream. Remove plastic caps that cover screws.
3. This give you access to plumbing behind the shower wall.
4. Remove brass rough. The fittings are plastic and you can unscrew with your hands

Installing New Unit: Pieces needed:
1. Delta Multi Choice Valve Rough In Kit (R10000-UNBX) Multichoice Universal Tub/Shower
2. Delta Trim Kit T13220 (Monitor 13 Series Shower Trim – Fits Multichoice Universal Valve
3. MAKE SURE to get a ½ inch Galvanize CAP to screw on top pipe fitting for valve kit

1. Unscrew plastic cap in Valve kit where cartridge will go
2. Remove small black plastic screen inside cartridge (see instructions included in box)
3. Screw on Galvanized (purchased separately) on top valve
4. Place square plastic black wall spacer between valve unit and wall. Flat side of spacer sits flush to wall.
5. From inside of shower, insert cartridge into valve kit. Make sure it is seeded well into valve kit
6. Attach trim kit ring from inside with the long screws to the valve kit.
7. Attach shower handle to cartridge with allen wrench
8. Attach plastic water supply lines of Airstream to new Valve kit. 3 connections
Old 05-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
I had originally complained about the shower leaking when the unit was still under warranty so the dealer got me the Fontana shower cartridge. They are a few hours drive from here through the mountains so I did the replacement myself. Getting the carriage out was complicated by the plumbing all being loose after taking of the faceplate. I didn’t think to screw the long screws back in for support and removed the whole brass fitting. The cartridge was so jammed on there it needed to be tapped with a hammer and it finally popped out. The O ring is the only thing holding it in, but that was enough to make it super tight.

I broke the plastic right angle fitting on the hose to the shower so had to make a new one. . It has brass fittings now so hopefully more durable. Getting it all installed back into the shower was super frustrating as I live alone and had no one to hold the fittings in place from the shower side while lining in the pieces. Also reconnecting the hose to the shower nozzle was very hard to do without a helper.

If airstream could make the cartridges easier to order and simple instructions to replace it would be a great for people in the future to avoid this frustration.
FYI a plumber told me that had it been Moen and not Fontana, any retailer like Lowe’s or Home Depot would supply the cartridge for free as they are warrantied for life.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Franklin , TN
I cannot see how to post pictures on here as referenced by my previous post. However if anyone is on FB, there is a AS 22 ft page where I posted them.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Healdsburg , California
I have a 2018 22FB. I've been pondering installing a recirculating process between the shower hot water PEX and the Water Heater cold water inlet. I'd need to run another PEX line to do that. A Tee would be needed on each end as well as a 12VDC recirculating pump, a 5 minute timer to turn it on/off, and maybe a backflow preventer. At present, hot water takes about 90 seconds to reach the shower and wastes about 6Cups of water into the grey water tank, unless we capture it in a bucket for later use. If you have any, I'd appreciate your thoughts about this. Thanks in advance.