Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
1974 Airstream Fresh Tank Fitting Size - Help!

Finally getting to plumbing. I am using the original 1974 fresh tank but I have switched to a different tank level monitor system. With that said, I have a bunch of the threaded holes for the old tank level sensors that I need to plug.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what size plug I need. It’s close to a half or 3/8 but those don’t fit. Maybe it’s metric?

Let me know if anyone has any info.

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I don't know the size either, but here's something that might work.

While removing the floor in our '73, I inadvertently cut about a 8" gash across the top of the fresh water tank with a circular saw. I took the tank to the local RV dealership and they were able patch it. If you search around the repair forums here you may be able to find the instructions to do it yourself. Basically, you're just heating a raw plastic repair rod and filling in the open/damaged areas. Problem is I can't remember any of the particulars (what type of plastic, what type of heat source, that kind of stuff).

Somebody else may chime in with more info. Good luck.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
So after 3 box stores as well as a few local hardware stores I have finally made some progress.

The fitting is a 3/8 mip. Where this goes sideways is no one seems to make a 3/8 mip elbow to 1/2 pex. I am going to check McMaster tonight.

Denver, CO
Aopsahl7 is offline   Reply With Quote