Old 02-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
1973 tradewind, looking for grey tank plan

I am in the process of adding a REAL grey tank (or two) to my 1973 Tradewind twin/ rear bath. I plan on using one from VTS that holds 21 gallons and installing just behind rear axle. Has anyone done this and still have the diagram of where you added the spin on fittings for inlet/ vent exit? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

1972 23' Safari
Newark , OH
Hi Moparjohn, I have a 72 Safari that we're rebuilding. I want to do what you're proposing. I see that no one answered. Did you go through with it?
Safari John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Just did this...

I just did this and finished with the strapping to hold up my tank today. I have a 1972 Safari Airstream and used a 25 gallon tank from recpro. I got all my pipes cut, fittings placed , plumbing routed, I’m just waiting on some tank fittings From recpro to finish the install. I’ll upload some pics later. I also installed to tank right behind the rear axle. I have twin axles and 2 twin beds and bath in back btw.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I put two of the VTS tanks in my '73 Globetrotter. They occupy the first two bays aft of the bay under the single axle. The aft-most tank has a spun fitting as close to the bottom of the tank, in the center of both the fore and aft sides. It has a single spun fitting looking up on the curbside for a breather. The foremost tank has a single fitting in the center aft side of it to line up with the fitting on the aft tank. They are connected with a Fernco flexible coupling. The fore-tank has two spun fittings near the curbside end, one for a breather, and one for input from the kitchen sink.

I'll look for the diagrams, but there is no universal "template." My tank installation was custom fit to my plans for cabinetry and plumbing, and I imagine yours will be too.

I'll post the diagrams if I find them.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
grey tanks

Safari John, No I have not done it yet. So far I removed the old grey tank that was mounted on the rear edge of trailer, I put a lift kit on my trailer and NOW it is finally home after 2.5 years. So I can work on it in my driveway. Next I will remove the belly pan from the rear to figure out how I can make it happen. MPJ
Old 08-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Belegedhel

I would like to see your progress, It sounds just like what I need to do. in a perfect world my new grey tanks will have the vent tied into the existing vent pipe that is in the rear closet (bathroom). Do both tanks need a vent? or just one? they will be connected and hopefully they will join at the rear of the trailer into one dump valve. MPJ
Old 08-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My tanks are joined as low as I could put the fitting in order so that the tanks both drain as much as possible. As a result, the aft tank will be filling from the bottom, which will result in trapped air at the top of the tank unless a breather hole is installed. I intend to tie both of the breather lines together and go out of the original roof vent.

I hunted around for the diagrams and found that VTS had sent me a diagram, and that I had just drawn in where I wanted the fittings and then faxed them back. Anyway, I scanned those drawings and attached them here. Good luck reading my scribbly handwriting. Anyway, Tank 1 is the Fore tank, Tank 2 is Aft. The positioning of the top fittings was designed to allow the end of the tank to actually be inserted into the frame rails, and then the fittings would be as close to the rail as possible so that I wouldn't have pipes coming up right in the middle of my cabinetry. On the aft tank, I see that I put the exit port slightly off-center. I don't recall my reasoning for doing that--it is probably because the tanks aren't centered, and I was trying to get the exit to line up with the centered dump valve so that I wouldn't have to put in a bunch of elbows.

Anyway, use with extreme caution.

I have a few pics of the tanks in place with the frame upside down, and of the floor where the input and vent holes are, but they aren't particularly illustrative.

good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tank 1.PDF (209.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Tank 2.PDF (244.4 KB, 3 views)
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote