Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

london , Ohio
water leak

Have a leaking gasket on what I think is the water pressure regulator on a 1969 Globetrotter. There seems to be a cap on the bottom but it is rather hard to get at and even a 10" adjustable wrench seems too small. Any suggestions for repairs in central Ohio?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumping.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	240941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure Regulator or Relief Valve.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	240942  

old hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Suggest you remove it entirely and replace with a modern one.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hello old hen

If you're hiring the work out, then the Airstream service center in Jackson Center would be able to help you with that. It is adjacent to but mostly separate from the Airstream factory, from what I understand. By all reports, their capabilities are considerable and their rates no higher than all the other places (I've never been myself, it's too far).

The "leak" arrow in your photo points to the check valve portion of a combined check valve and pressure regulator. There is an access plug there for cleaning and service of the check valve swing assembly. There are three approaches to the repair:

1) Remove the check valve and regulator assembly from the trailer so that a bench repair may be made. This would allow wrenches of any size, impact tools, and torches to be brought to bear, as necessary.

2) Repair the check valve plug gasket in-place as you are attempting to do. If I were doing this, I'd try to get a 6-point socket wrench in there on the end of a long breaker bar. If there isn't room for that I'd try the box end of a combination wrench.

3) Remove and discard the assembly and replace it with a modern equivalent.

The check valve is necessary but the regulator less so. It's rare to run into campgrounds that have a problem with high water pressure -- I've done so once in all my travels. Easiest thing to do when encountering that, except for a long-term stay, is just fill the freshwater tank from campground water supply and run the pump.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

london , Ohio
Thank you for the tips. That helps with the decision making. Looks like replacing the whole unit is the way to go.
old hen is offline   Reply With Quote