Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
Need Help On Globetroter

Hi Folks:
After a long delay in an axle delivery and being put at the end of the line at the garage when finally got the AS home. First was putting in the 2 windows that were missing. Thanks Aluminuminum !!! The 2 windows went in dead easy. The missing refrigerator vent and collar was another issue. Let's not go there.

We have wires that God only knows where they go. Original heating vent I still have but until we decide the heating system it is off. Six inch aluminum pipe cover from HD sliced a bit to fit the hole sealed it off for now.

Three Saturdays of cleaning and it looks much better. We have floor rot but we knew that so we are hoping the frame is OK. If not, we will deal with it.
We found that regular windex was the best for getting the crude off the walls.

Question number 1
We have the correct gasket for the exterior door. But what is the correct location. Does it go to the bottom of the door? I assume the gasket goes under the hinge also. Also how do I clean up the bottom rust? Does that need the gasket too?
Question number 2.
We have the 2 original inside top lights but how do they come off? One has screws in the sides the other doesn't.

Thanks,
Layback
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bertha door.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	251430   Click image for larger version

Name:	bertha window.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	251431  

Name:	Bertha kit.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	251432  
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If your inside lights are the square ones with 4 bulbs and a 4 position switch, unscrew the on/off switch knob and there is a retaining ring under it that you unscrew and the plastic cover comes off. Since aluminum doesn't rust, the rust must be coming from the steel top of the step. I like scotchbrite pads to clean up aluminum where the finish isn't going to be polished. Don't' use steel wool on aluminum.
I had the same questions with the door gasket. Raining here now so I'll look tomorrow and see how I installed mine but I am pretty sure I put it along the bottom. Send me a PM if you would like pics of how my door gasket is installed.
Love 68!!!!
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
Bruce and Rachel
Thanks for the help. I can turn the front square light knob all I want in any direction. It is not coming off. I also don't feel any clicking that it is going from one position to another.
Whatever is easier on the gasket a description or picture. Right now we are just trying to get it as watertight as possible before it gets too cold. Luckily, it has been a really mild fall.
Mr and Mrs Layback
Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
If your inside lights are the square ones with 4 bulbs and a 4 position switch, unscrew the on/off switch knob and there is a retaining ring under it that you unscrew and the plastic cover comes off. Since aluminum doesn't rust, the rust must be coming from the steel top of the step. I like scotchbrite pads to clean up aluminum where the finish isn't going to be polished. Don't' use steel wool on aluminum.
I had the same questions with the door gasket. Raining here now so I'll look tomorrow and see how I installed mine but I am pretty sure I put it along the bottom. Send me a PM if you would like pics of how my door gasket is installed.
Love 68!!!!
GREAT tip on scotchbrite versus steel wool.
For the light, see if you can press a REALLY skinny/small screwdriver blade against the shaft to keep it from slipping, while you turn the knob to loosen. Seems like I had the same problem with a bad switch. Once that comes off the light cover can be removed by loosening the retaining nut. When you take off the cover, you'll see the screws (I think there are four) holding the entire assembly to the ceiling. You may have to remove the bulbs themselves to see all of the screws. Keep us posted... dig the pics.
Ruck
Old 11-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
Wink

Thanks Ruck
We will try that when we a chance. I think today is going to be a leave day.
We got out one back closet. Most of the side wood is not is good shape. So we will save it for templates. We then attempted to remove the stove. Then it occurred to us that the propane tanks were still connected. After 15 years I doubt that there is much let, but we didn't want to take any chances . Back to doing B before you can do A.
Today's question, how many acorns can you find in an AS?
Layback
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151107_120706.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	251895