Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Women Airstream Towing: Fact or Fiction?

From my experiences, watching Airstreams being towed by Women, backing up, behind the steering wheel and watching them back up a 3/4 Ton 4x4 aligning the trailer hitch to the trailer... it is Fact.

They do it without excuses... I could not see, the ground is not level, I am avoiding a rare plant, the Earth's gravity is screwed up here... you probably can offer some other comments. I can only make up some off hand. Men have great imaginations.

They put Men to shame. These women are capable of towing Solo, without a critic hanging onto the door handles in fear.

I have no idea where women learned to tow a trailer. Maybe some women will step forward and explain if their mother took the time to give proper instructions... or their father... or their husband.

I have been getting emails from Las Vegas Airstream where they are giving FREE classes in towing an Airstream. Chances are... no men will show up. It will be... Women.

Women WANT to Learn. Men... they believe they were BORN with the innate ability to tow a go cart to a 44 foot cargo trailer at birth... they think. Some should let their wives drive... maybe their Blue Heeler as they have common sense.

What, if your are brave want to make comment. If not, MEN must rule in Airstream towing.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Very true...for quite awhile here..👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4a7.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	362703   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	362704  

Old 03-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The Woman's Fallacy to Towing

Robert, a man of no nouns.

The 'Woman's Fallacy to Towing'. I would have to assume many Men fall into this same situation. Especially if you never pulled a utility trailer behind a mower or had a pair of Wave Runners on a short trailer in tow.

Go to the Dock or Beaches at Lake Mead outside Boulder City. Pull out two folding chairs and enjoy...

Men are possibly discovering the 'secret to towing' a trailer just by how they think. You know... I think I can do (fill in the blank). BIG is popular with Men. Nothing is too big... just too... small.

Women who are single believe that the 16 foot Bambi is the way to go. It is the shortest. It is the lightest. It can be towed by most any vehicle. It has a full compliment of interior options and enough room to be comfortable. Easier to heat. Easier to cool. Easier to not overfill the pantry. Lots of EASIER. Lots of Not so Easy when attached to the tow vehicle.

Men figured this out when Chariots were popular. One, two, three or four Horse Power models.

Today, Men mow the lawn and these riding lawn mowers also can pull a 'short utility trailer'. Pulling is easy. Backing one up... is an eye opener. Very difficult. If anyone can back up a utility trailer behind a riding lawn mower... or an ATV... you can tow anything!

I have noticed when 'some' purchase their first trailer... short at first seems to be a great place to start. ...and they are not that inexpensive for shorter. Someone can figure the cost per foot compared to a 23 or a 25 foot.

The shorter the trailer, the more difficult it is to back it up. Pulling forward... easy. There may be a sweet spot for backing up. I liked our 23 foot and it could back into spots that it would take a longer trailer to work out the angles.

Obviously the interest is not much, I offer this as a common mistake believing that the shorter the trailer, the easier it is to back into a tight spot.

Wrong.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Most people are terrible at backing a trailer because they turn the wheel too far/too much/too fast.

With experience you learn, most of the time, with your hand at 12 on top of the wheel, you rarely need to turn past 3 or past 9 in either direction.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a small motorcycle trailer. 9'.
To make it harder, I can't see it in the mirrors without a bike on it.
It jackknifes just thinking about backing. When I can back under control, I feel like I accomplished something!
At Aluminlina 2018 I watched a lady arrive with her Airstream, She backed like a pro. Women can do it, just takes practice.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
My wife tows a trailer over 100 days a year for her outfitting business. The only problem we’ve encountered is her dad taught her to look over her shoulder to back up. That’s a problem if the trailer is small and you can’t see it, like a raft trailer. I worked with her to increase her confidence using her mirrors and it’s been a good thing.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Really Ray, you are not even that old.

Is there any reason a woman would not be able to back a trailer.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Most people are terrible at backing a trailer because they turn the wheel too far/too much/too fast.

With experience you learn, most of the time, with your hand at 12 on top of the wheel, you rarely need to turn past 3 or past 9 in either direction.
Yes...but put your hand at the bottom of the wheel and turn 4 to 8 and the rear of the trailer will go in the same direction as your hand.

Bob
🇺🇸

It's easy....
Old 03-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Men: Big Sissies wanting to tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Really Ray, you are not even that old.

Is there any reason a woman would not be able to back a trailer.
Most men are Overgrown Playground Sissies.

If the wife does not let him do some towing... he will cry, pout and just make a big mess of things. Women relent because of their generous nature. Then will go out and do some serious shopping.

Revenge has a cost, you know. My wife has many nice things.

Well... this is how it works for me.

Any Sissy responses to add to mine? We need to compare notes... and costs. Cannot find an Emoji Sissy. I am not experienced at this.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
If I were to even suggest that my wife drive while towing a trailer, the response would be something like, "now where is that phone number to the Hampton Inn?".

I've told her that I want her to learn in case something were to happen to me while we were out. I usually just get a scowl. Same thing with changing a tire on the car. She refuses.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
I think everyone -male or female- if they're honest with themselves know it's a process, not an innate ability.

I was taught as a teenager by my dad who could park anything in his sleep. Later I had boats and had to get them in/out the water. Then some 30 years later came the AS. There was never a question that I would tow and back that trailer.

It's not often pretty nor fast. But don't rush me or make "cute" dumb*ss comments while I'm trying to focus and get my trailer-backing zen on and I'll get it done. And please don't distract the DH while he's providing guidance.

Like so many things in this world, it's intention, attention and practice, practice, practice.
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
My daughter can back a trailer much better than I. But she has a F250 and a F350, a horse trailer, two gooseneck flatbed trailers, and a snowmobile trailer.

I suspect the snowmobile trailer is the hardest to back in a straight line.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
My daughter can back a trailer much better than I. But she has a F250 and a F350, a horse trailer, two gooseneck flatbed trailers, and a snowmobile trailer.

I suspect the snowmobile trailer is the hardest to back in a straight line.

City men need to reread Mark's post. This is a woman who will come after you with an Iron Skillet and whip your arse into shape.

You did good Mark. My relatives left Minnesota in the late 1890's as it was getting too crowded and found lumber on the NW side of Flathead Lake in Montana. Many still spoke Swedish when I was a kid. The women... all had Iron Skillets.

Those days are sadly gone. When men were men and women ran the operation with an iron heating on the wood burning stove, two to four kids running loose outside and a skillet.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
My dad taught me to drive with our 19 ft Concord travel trailer when I was 16. Put me behind the wheel when we were on vacation. that was his way. I drive about 50% of the time when we're traveling. Not the best at backing but I can do it. I'm a FIRM believer that both people of a pair need to be able to hitch, unhitch, travel and set up/take down their camp. If one is ill, the other can do it. I can.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I'd love to share the driving with my best girl. However, she won't go anywhere near the driver seat of my truck--even when there is no trailer attached. Anyone have advice on how to convince my wife to consider piloting our her rig?

EDIT: The Airstream is registered in her name, so technically it is her toy....
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
I'd love to share the driving with my best girl. However, she won't go anywhere near the driver seat of my truck--even when there is no trailer attached. Anyone have advice on how to convince my wife to consider piloting our her rig?

A happy husband she will make.

Here is a Western Joke to be played on YaHoos from out of town.

Remember the Bench Seats in 'now considered' Antique Pickups that are now considered Collectable and NOT worn out.

You be the passenger on the FAR RIGHT. Your YaHoo friend is in the middle and your 'Buddy' is driving. When you cruise the local 'hot spot', you, on the window side on the right... lean over to the left and begin to attract attention by HONKING THE HORN. HONK...HONK. It is an attention getter. Everyone is looking.

You, the sly fox, lean over so NO ONE SEES YOU, but your Buddy and the YaHoo sitting real close to one another.

Times have changed, but memories haven't. It use to be funny.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

City men need to reread Mark's post. This is a woman who will come after you with an Iron Skillet and whip your arse into shape.
<snip>
I doubt it. She might grind your arse into shape with an angle grinder though.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post

Next time you are on the interstate, find a wide open rest-stop to stop where she can drive off with the trailer attached in a simple environment.

Have her drive 30-40 miles to next rest-stop and park in the big-truck parking area where there are pull through parking spots.

Once she does that a couple times and gets used to the 'feel' that might reduce her hesitation to drive more often.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Next time you are on the interstate, find a wide open rest-stop to stop where she can drive off with the trailer attached in a simple environment.

Have her drive 30-40 miles to next rest-stop and park in the big-truck parking area where there are pull through parking spots.

Once she does that a couple times and gets used to the 'feel' that might reduce her hesitation to drive more often.
I would be very cautious using the restroom with this scenario in mind.

How would I catch a ride to catch up with her at the next truck stop? If she even does, stop.

Once anyone enjoys towing an Airstream... there is no stopping.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
This is a funny thread. My sister and I are over 60 years old (way over) and we towed trailers when we were kids; tractors with hay wagons graduating to horse and boat trailers. Ken and I retired and have been traveling over the last 15 years with a trailer of some sort (sleeping on the ground got too hard) and both of us need to be able to tow the trailer. This is a safety issue. What happens if one of us becomes ill on the road? What if we need to make a "speed run" from Florida to Maryland to beat an incoming snow storm? Now, my parking is not the greatest; but I can do it. Recognize that I am going to do it slower and very carefully. On the other hand, I pulled a 30' 5th wheel coming through downtown Atlanta at rush hour. That was "white knuckle" towing and we arrived safely at our destination.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote