Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #301
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Is there some rating on such a heater? BTU's? Which one is recommended - may consider this route.
This is the one I use in my 30' Classic, cheap but highly efficient & safe. Also use at home garrage when cleaning. (Home depot or online for less than $30.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	200554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	200555  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	200556  
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Less than 30! YES!!

How long have you had it? Any drawbacks with that model?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #303
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Less than 30! YES!!

How long have you had it? Any drawbacks with that model?
4+ yrs going strong and 7 other friends/ family got introduced to same. They bought them as a one year knock off (up state NY and Ontario winter Country) but the workforce or should I say workhorse refuses to die (3yrs +). I bought 2 just incase my 30' classic needs more than one but I was wrong, one is all it takes every season. My furnace fan speed is always at low just to circulate the warm air through my plumbing underneath whenever temp drops below 30 degrees outside. There are more name brands out there and I think that they all work just as fine. The simple the controls, the better.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #304
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I just today saw a nice electric ceramic heater at HD. It is a little larger than I would like but then again I wasn't shopping for one. We have a small cube ceramic heater that measures about 8"w x 10"h x 6"d. Quite and efficient for when hooked to electric and it works great. This one at HD looks to be a good choice but somewhat larger. Was $69 I think. If I was in the market I would have looked much closer.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Just one thing to keep in mind, a lot of theses heaters draw about 15 amps. So you might not be able to run a heat pump or heating element in your AC. Now if you have a 50 amp hook up, then no problem!

Other wise they are great!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Pizza? In an Airstream? Now that isn't very campy/camperish!
Maybe its Dijorno! Hey, my first few outings were white castle frozen cheeseburgers microwaved before I learned to use LP!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #307
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I eat a lot of cold cuts, ravioli, and ramen!
I will grill out when time/weather permit.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #308
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
PharmGeek, it's been a hoot reading your thread! Congrats on the new Stream. I've really enjoyed the adventure and anticipation of your purchase. You know, up until this thread, I only thought that the refurb of one of the old ones would hold that much build up, that much "I CAN'T WAIT!", that much passion for the day of finally getting in it and camping.

Guess I was wrong there, huh? Enjoy your new Stream. Looks like a fine crew you've got to camp with there. Tip for when the kids get a little older, head down to Disney and stay at their campground. We've done that twice when the kids were younger, and its just awesome...

Had two instances of "How much you got in it/ Would take to rent it?" just this week. I told them, if I calculated my time in the refurb at minimum wage, I only have slightly more than 37 million dollars in it, and I'd rent it out for $1000 an hour... both of those guys were kidding around with me, good friends. Haven't had anybody that wasn't close enough of a friend bother asking.

-Red
Old 11-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #309
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh me oh my - imagine the number of posts I would generate of I undertook a restoration

Talked to wife about heater last night - she was like "uhhh let's just see how we do using stuff that already is in the trailer and that would just get in the way" -

I still like the heater option for occasional sub freezing temps and skip winterizing to save propane both at home and when at CG - and these units a pretty small I think - going to HD to look at them - may pick one up on cyber Monday

Monte sano folks told me they will be mostly empty and we will have whatever we want

Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #310
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Talked to wife about heater last night - she was like "uhhh let's just see how we do using stuff that already is in the trailer and that would just get in the way" -
I'm with the wife. Cost of propane compared to everything else?
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #311
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post

I'm with the wife. Cost of propane compared to everything else?
I was wondering this last night - although when at CG answer us obvious but most winter use will be at home for cold snaps

I'm worried also that using that instead if furnace will hear inside of trailer but not as well the pipes and tanks

I'll probably just see now long my propane lasts me first

Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #312
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Btw - back to thread topic

A friend of mine lSt guessed the cost of my trailer as higher than actual by 25k and he went on about how worth it

3 friends of mine came over last night - became the "man can" and they all were really impressed while they sipped their four roses bourbon (I'm not much a drinker of whiskey) and we sat around talking - everyone was really surprised and were talking about all that we can do

I think people once they see and get into an AS they will feel the price (while high) is not such an outrageous thing - as far as it being "worth it and the Pre conceived judgements that go with it.

As a home addition alone this has proved AWESOME!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #313
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Pharm, for camping I agree with your wife - the propane heater is great for warming the whole Airstream quickly. I try to carry as few "extra items" as needed. If you're open to unsolicited advice I would advise against using heat of any sort to protect your AS plumbing against freezing unless you're staying in the trailer. If the trailer is next to your house, it is freezing outside, and you have the heat on you think you're OK. But all it takes is once for the heat to fail - trip a circuit, run out of propane, whatever - and then you run the risk of a frozen plumbing joint, expansion of the ice, and broken fixtures that will be a chore to fix.

At a minimum I would blow out the lines with compressed air. If you do this right you can let the AS freeze without worry. Some people even here in Ohio just do that and are OK through the winter. I go the route of the RV antifreeze. Whether you live in the north or south, if you run the risk of freezing temps it would be safer to take one of those two routes. Just my opinion.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #314
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
At a minimum I would blow out the lines with compressed air. If you do this right you can let the AS freeze without worry. Some people even here in Ohio just do that and are OK through the winter. I go the route of the RV antifreeze. Whether you live in the north or south, if you run the risk of freezing temps it would be safer to take one of those two routes. Just my opinion.
I like the idea of blow out lines without filling with pink fluid, but Wouldn't you need to drain the WH and antifreeze the drain traps also?
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #315
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yes, you would.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #316
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
I have never put antifreeze in my water lines but drain traps. Once I air-blow the lines, drain/air-blow the water heater at the on set of winter, I stop using the clean water plumb lines and water heater. All the 3 to 4 trips I make in winter (on my way to Florida & other less cold States) are restricted to portable water (2 or 4 five gal rubber jerry cans & 1 five gal self dispensing home depot drinking water) . I stole Paula's (Foil Again) idea of boiling water on the stove or portable 2.5 gal plastic electric water heaters for bath. Last year, I added some antifreeze to the black & Gray tanks while traveling thru the cold zones just out of caution and no freezing noticed when I got to Florida. When stationary, I tend to drain all waste into the black tank and keep the gray empty or add some antifreeze just in case I mistakenly dump water in it.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #317
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The winterizing stuff has not fully clicked for me

For furnace to fail what breakers would have to trip? - the house breaker would but then batteries to converter still good

You would need to have 2 failures?

Still that is a possibility - we only have a handful if sub freezing nights here in AL - ill probably figure out a winterizing routine still though - just have not figured out how to do it at all - I need an adapter for a compressor - Ido t have a compressor except for a portable small one for a car - can I use that? Or a hand bicycle pump? Or buy a compressor?

I'm going to read the manual today and see if I can better understand the winterizing stuff

Old 11-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #318
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Hi,

If you don't already have it, I'd recommend getting Rich Luhr's "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming". It contains a wealth of information, including winterizing.

Good luck,

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #319
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I've read it - not very detailed on winterizing as I recall - I really loved that book though - another copy came with AS as well

Old 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #320
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I use a Black and Decker Air Station to blow the lines, works fine with adapter for city water inlet I bought at WalMart. Just don't forget to remove your under sink water filter in the galley if you have one because if you don't, it WILL freeze, crack and leak. Never mind asking me how I know!
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote