Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Will be touring AS factory~any advice?

Hi there, we are driving across the country and want to stop by Jackson Center for the tour (either on way back east or on the way home!!). I know that there is only one tour per day, M-F at 2pm and I know that I can't take photographs inside (this will just kill me). Is there anything else I need to know? Does anyone know how long the tour is? Thanks y'all!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Be prepared to take home, Airstream jacket, Airstream Cap, Airstream Ball, Airstream "You name it" from the store. They have lots of good stuff there, not necessarily cheap, but you will buy it anyway.
Allow 2.5 hours for the experience.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Hi there, we are driving across the country and want to stop by Jackson Center for the tour (either on way back east or on the way home!!). I know that there is only one tour per day, M-F at 2pm and I know that I can't take photographs inside (this will just kill me). Is there anything else I need to know? Does anyone know how long the tour is? Thanks y'all!!!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Have fun.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Take cash... leave your credit card far away
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Anna & Paul,

I am so jealous!!!! Enjoy the experience. Are you getting closer to your forever trailer? Cheers,

Bruce
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since you are still looking, this will give you some idea how they are made. The service center is behind the area where you wait for the tour and spend money on Airstream gadgets. They don't stop people from going into the shop as long as you stay out of the way and don't bother anyone.

Every once in a while someone posts photos of the tour. I expect they are using a cellphone camera.

It may last longer on Fridays. But we've done it twice and I'd love to have more time and go through everything in great detail. Every tour is a little different.

Don the Tour Guy has been doing this forever. If you ask him questions about corrosion or QC he is adept in avoiding the questions.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
We did a similar trip about 2 years ago. Got there late in the afternoon and parked in their full hookup terra port for $10/day as I remember. Seem to recall it was also the only RV park anywhere near so the convenience and price was a pleasant surprise. After a leisurely breakfast, we decided to check out the factory store. If you're on a tight budget don't go in there as you will certainly find too many things you suddenly must have! :-)

Unless something has changed, you get a comprehensive tour on Monday through Thursday but some things are only seen at a distance because it is an active production line and they can't let folks get between the workers and their work. We were told that if we came back on a Friday we could get a closer look at things as they weren't doing any actual assembly then. If you wanted to get a closer look at a trailer in various stages of the build, Friday might be better, but if you want to see how they do it, then the other days are best. Wear comfortable shoes as this is a walking tour and you cover a lot of territory.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Newark , Ohio
We toured on a Friday afternoon last December. We were the only ones there and Don took us into every nook and cranny in the place and let us look inside all the trailers. He is a wealth of information and so great to talk to. Have a good time!
Crazy Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
See if you can locate the monkey that does the caulking and have him returned to the wild.....

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We toured the factory last month and it was a great experience being there. Too bad on the day of our tour, the Good Sam Club had a rally in town. There were about 50 of us on the tour and most owned SOB's. Don was a bit overwhelmed as he said he thought this was the biggest tour of AS history. So, we would like to go back on our next cross-country trip. Everyone should try to get there one day!! Hope everyone is having a great summer!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The tour is never quite the same, so repeats can be good.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
That would be quit a crowd.

We did it in fall of 09 and their was one other couple on the tour with us.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
We toured the factory last month and it was a great experience being there. Too bad on the day of our tour, the Good Sam Club had a rally in town. There were about 50 of us on the tour and most owned SOB's. Don was a bit overwhelmed as he said he thought this was the biggest tour of AS history. So, we would like to go back on our next cross-country trip. Everyone should try to get there one day!! Hope everyone is having a great summer!!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
How fun that would be!!!!
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote