Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Why Did You Choose An Airstream?

Speaking for myself we started looking a square corner RV's. We knew very little about trailers. Looking back I was about to make a big mistake.

There was an AS dealer near us and one day we decided to stop and look at their AS stock. Boy, it was an eye opener. After looking we never looked at another square corner trailer. Since this was our first experience with an RV we didn't want to put a lot of money into an RV and then discover that we did not like the lifestyle.

We purchased a 77 Argosy. It was 25 ft long with the rear bath and twin beds. For its age it was in great shape inside and out. Although we really liked the Argosy I really wanted an Airstream.

After getting into the Argosy we started to appreciate their construction and how many older Argosys and AS's that were still on the road. They had an unique look and an almost "cult" following.

We upgraded to a newer AS this summer because we discovered that we really liked getting out for the weekends. Visitors alway remark how warm the decore of an AS is on the inside.

I picked the AS because of the quality of construction. Course we all know they are not "cheap" and the don't look "cheap" regardless of age.

Why did you purchase your AS?
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Because AS's are as unique as the people who own them......
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Image, Reputation, History, Wally, WBCCI, Cool Factor,

they move down like a stream of air,

and

I've always wanted one...
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
I started out with a couple of Coachman's a 22ft. and a 24ft. I sold the 24ft. and got my first Streamer a 27ft. Excella. I will never go back. One thing I like is that the 27ft. Airstream is easier to pull than the 24ft. Coachman. Also I was unable to keep either Coachman from leaking. The curved walls of an Airstream are much more inviting and give it a homier feel.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Because an Airstream is really cool and different.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Airplane, Airstream, 2024-T3, Rivets
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
There was another choice?
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Originally purchased a used SOB to see if the reality was as good as the dream. DH was still not comfortable with not having the "security" of a conventional home. So we bought a house and he detested it within 6 mos. Really happy he had some reservations now, because we only knew what looked good and functional. Found RVCG and ordered their book and CD. Equipped with the better info and understanding of how an rv is/is'nt built, AS was the only way to go. The up front cost is higher,but a whole lot less over the long term. Plus it is a really cool unit to tote around. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

People,People,people....I got to meet so many wonderful people in the Airstream travels. We have been to RV Shows and still love the cozyness of the Silver Bullet!! Now we are on our 3rd A/S and still love it!! Where else do you get to see America with the locals by having something in common.....I must admit I do miss The
By-George Articles in the Blue Beret... AirstreamHobo
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Answering the original question as to why we got an A/S....

We had another brand as our first camper and really enjoyed camping. When we purchased our house we sold the camper to help make a down payment on our home. After a few years we really missed getting out and camping so we started looking for another camper. We came across a 1968 Safari of which needed quite a bit of work on it. At the time the price seemed to be the factor as to making the original purchase.

After we made a few repairs and started using it we were hooked. We enjoyed it until trading up to a 75 international. After owning that for a while we enjoyed camping in a 1983 Excella. We really enjoyed the A/s's that we owned and the attention that came along with owning one.

However, in time we out grew the space and sold the A/s adventuring out into the unknown other brands. We purchased a M/H of which we only kept for about 2 years then we traded for the 5th wheel we now have.

Although A/S's are nice we are very happy with what we have now. I still enjoy watching this forum and feel like I'm still part of the A/S family. We even find that we still watch for the silver shinny things when we are out on the road. I guess it's where we met so many nice people along with the common bond between camping in general. We have a few photos of our 5th wheel in our photo gallery from when we first purchased it if you are curious.

Happy camping and don't be surprised if somewhere some place someone camping in another brand comes up and introduces themselves to you as silvertwinky!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had a friend who owned several. He found one for me back in the 70's. I got too busy working to use it and sold it. Once you've had one, you can't get them out of your heart. Finally got another about three years ago. It is our much loved Argosy. Never really wanted an AS, BUT one big one found us this Fall and is now parked beside the Argosy. We have looked at several other brands that are beautiful when new; however, you seldom see an older one in decent shape. Didn't take us long to realize that a vintage Argosy/AS is a great investment. Right now we're investing a lot in the new 31ft to get it ready for the Spring I'm dreaming of.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
We have a local Airstream dealer. I had been drooling over the Airstreams since the mid-Nineties. But every year I saw the price increases and I felt that I couldn't afford one.
In 2001 we bought a square-sided SOB and the troubles began. Long set-up times, lots of maintenance. I was not having the fun that I was expecting with a new RV.
In 2004, despite the cost, we bought our Airstream. Set-up is easier and maintenance is less. Plus it looks cool and we get lots of interest at the campgrounds. I'm a Happy Camper.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
we had 3 SOBs ...all class A's ....all with alot of problems...so we wanted to stay RVing ...so I said only if we get an airstream....best move we ever made !
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Raymond , Mississippi
I purchased one for a deer lease, 1970 Land Yaht/International 27' 90% original. It was used as storage for clothes for the first owner. The second owner used it to travel out west to fly fish. New air, wheel bearings tanks and regulater was all that was needed. Thinking about selling it and upgrading. It gets in your blood. I wish my wife liked this type of recreation. Good investment.
olebuck39154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
You might look at this post;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/why-buy-28207.html

Bill
Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Mine reason is that it was a childhood fantasy. My young mind was filled with scenes of adventure, camping and taking flight When it became obvious that I was spending money to rent an apartment that I was never in, (it only took me 6 years, I'm slow, not stupid), I thought of an Airstream. My roomate's first advice was don't buy an Airstream, but that was what I was looking for. As it's just me, I wanted a 27 footer. Close by my rental, I found a 2006 Safari SS. The previous pilot and his first mate bought it at Bates and didn't use it much. I bought it at Longview next door. After looking at oher TTs, an Airstream was the only one I could live in or travel with.

Anyway, what does SOB mean? duh.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Sarnia , Ontario,
My Airstream chose me...

I believe you have to have a calling, especially if you have a vintage Airstream. I would lie awake at night thinking about the 66' Caravel I now own before I bought it. I had no choice.
Anton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I remember seeing them as a kid when camping with my parents and siblings in a my Grandpa's Norris trailer.
I've always wanted to own one and now I finally do. I also wanted to purchase a trailer with the least amount of depreciation so if there are reasons I must sell in the future I won't feel as bad. Another reason is because I found the size that fits well with my tow vehicle - the wife seems to like it too.
I have no delusions when it comes to maintenance - everything a persons owns seems to take a lot of maintenance. Keeping up with maintenance also helps resale value - some have called me "anal" about maintenance.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Because . . .

I was attracted to them even as a child, and I knew one day I would own one. My Airstream is a blast from the past but future is now.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Because other than the floor, I don't have to worry about dry rot. Of course there is the floor...but I didn't know about that potential problem when I bought my first A/S.
My last SOB started losing a piece of skin as I was going down the road. I pulled over to check it out. I used my screw gun and screws to make an emergency repair but had trouble finding any good wood in the walls to anchor the skin too.
At least I won't have that problem anymore...
It really came down to quality and towability. The box just pushes too much air.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote