Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Who's CURRENTLY RENOVATING???

Hey everyone! There's such a wealth of knowledge on this forum from so many of you who have renovated Airstreams in the past and so firsty, thanks greatly for that!

Secondly, how many of you out there are CURRENTLY at this very moment, RIGHT NOW going through the renovation process and what Airstream are you working on?

It's intriguing to find out, and I guess, kind of comforting to know how many of us are in the same boat... well, the same RV.

Thanks!
- Lee
Lee_RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Lee, there aren’t as many forum members in the middle of a renovation as there a few years ago. But, there are a few. If you scan the new posts on Airforums every couple of days you’ll see new posts by renovators. I follow mainly those that target the pre-70s. But I do glance at any renovation in progress.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Thumbs up

Got it! Thanks Bubba L - that's good to know and I'll definitely keep an eye on the forums for active renovators
Old 05-18-2023, 09:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Palo Alto , California
We have an ‘81 it’s mostly finished and we are using it regularly. But we still have a project list as an arm of more things to do to it.
Mullers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:17 PM   #5
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Love hearing that Mullers!
Old 05-19-2023, 10:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
I have a 1970 Safari Special Land Yacht that I'm restoring.* I am doing a shell on floor replacement and will restore the interior, keeping the original look.* So far I have removed the interior, had the frame repaired and treated for rust, replaced the axle, and caulked numerous leaks.* I'm currently installing the new floor.

This has been a long and challenging project, but interesting and satisfying as well.* The knowledge I've gained from other Forum members has been an enormous help.**
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I'm working on the record for the longest time spent rebuilding a trailer. I think I am over 10 years now, and still at it. '73 Globetrotter.

The good thing is that the general design of these trailers really hasn't changed much since 1969, so there is plenty you can learn to prepare you for you 2000's + shell-off from the guys who worked on their 70's vintage rigs 10 years ago.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:20 PM   #8
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
I have a 1970 Safari Special Land Yacht that I'm restoring.* I am doing a shell on floor replacement and will restore the interior, keeping the original look.* So far I have removed the interior, had the frame repaired and treated for rust, replaced the axle, and caulked numerous leaks.* I'm currently installing the new floor.

This has been a long and challenging project, but interesting and satisfying as well.* The knowledge I've gained from other Forum members has been an enormous help.**
------

That's fantastic @DremStremer, yah its satisfying work isn't it!? But long and challenging is for sure... was your subfloor rotted out?
Old 05-19-2023, 09:25 PM   #9
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I'm working on the record for the longest time spent rebuilding a trailer. I think I am over 10 years now, and still at it. '73 Globetrotter.

The good thing is that the general design of these trailers really hasn't changed much since 1969, so there is plenty you can learn to prepare you for you 2000's + shell-off from the guys who worked on their 70's vintage rigs 10 years ago.
Sweet! @Belegedhel 10 years is a long time!! But all good things come to those who wait hey!?... must be a real passion proj by now. Thats a great point about the long-jevity of the vintage design though, I'm loving seeing the consistency across the years. Our '77 seems to be built pretty damn well, though it feels there's a massive learning process at ever curve, literally everything custom to fit... but... Step by step!
Old 05-19-2023, 09:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
hi lee...
im working on a 2013 23fb international Aussie model with 2x doors

today i hook up shower back to grey water tank

so far ive been modifying or undoing past wrongs from origional owner with great sucess:

acaicia benchtops
flooring
toilet
gray water tank back on line.
galley bench seat and table.
lift kit
wheel upgrade
rear death wobble bin removal.
oak trim replace with tasmanian oak.
new bed
ourdoor slide out cabinet cooker grill.
new appliances
new curtains
new steps

future mods to go are:

new awning fabric
mudflaps for offroad
touch screen radio
shiplap and wallpaper on certain walls.
stone guards to all underbelly stop cocks etc etc etc
Attachment 432090
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Renovations rarely end. There is always something to improve on or add.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:25 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
'74 Sovereign

My '73 took 8 years, (shell-off) renovation, and used it twice, now gone, then bought a '74 Sovereign, and have been at it, on a (shell-on) renovation, for 3 or 4 years....losing track of time. The hi-light of this build is the 600 mile, white knuckle journey I had to make from Columbus to Myrtle Beach...without any bulkheads or inner skins, as we moved to the Carolinas for retirement.
Currently wrestling with the belly wrap UGH!. The new floor is in, and will start electric, and plumbing next. Hope to be ready to roll at years end.
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:11 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_RP View Post
------

That's fantastic @DremStremer, yah its satisfying work isn't it!? But long and challenging is for sure... was your subfloor rotted out?
My Airstream had the typical floor rot in the rear. About a foot of the rear floor was rotted right through. Same thing in front of the door. Plus there were some soft spots under the front window and along the sides.
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Hello, hoping I can squeak in with the "Vintage Kin" category. Currently chest deep in a 1946 Spartan Manor 25 foot. Past projects include : 76 Argosy 24, 61 Ambassador, 68 Overlander (current rig), and several other smaller projects, all involving frames and floors and partial to full renos. The Spartan had been gone through once before so there was nothing original to try to save. So far I've dealt with sliding windows, rebuilding vents, door latches and hinges (yes, there are 2), plywood floor overlay remove and replace and on and on. Some polishing done. Most insulation done. Front curved windows resealed/replaced. The list goes on. One of the most interesting features is that the trailer has what I can only describe as a "plastic" sublfloor just as an Airstream has a plywood one. It is in amazingly good shape so I didn't replace it, just layed a layer over it. I've been at this one since Oct of '21. Currently experimenting with bending ply for the curved ceiling, seems to have promise.
Keep at it, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Been working on a 71 Globetrotter for what seems like forever. Currently trying to get the tanks all installed.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:48 AM   #16
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DremStremer View Post
My Airstream had the typical floor rot in the rear. About a foot of the rear floor was rotted right through. Same thing in front of the door. Plus there were some soft spots under the front window and along the sides.
Man, I've seen those horror stories of foot-going-right-through-subfloor images and such. Luckily our '77 was always kept mostly in the Nevada desert and so other than water stains there was no real rot or holes to contend with.

Good job you replaced it all - no easy feat!
Old 05-21-2023, 11:49 AM   #17
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggs View Post
hi lee...
im working on a 2013 23fb international Aussie model with 2x doors

today i hook up shower back to grey water tank

so far ive been modifying or undoing past wrongs from origional owner with great sucess:

acaicia benchtops
flooring
toilet
gray water tank back on line.
galley bench seat and table.
lift kit
wheel upgrade
rear death wobble bin removal.
oak trim replace with tasmanian oak.
new bed
ourdoor slide out cabinet cooker grill.
new appliances
new curtains
new steps

future mods to go are:

new awning fabric
mudflaps for offroad
touch screen radio
shiplap and wallpaper on certain walls.
stone guards to all underbelly stop cocks etc etc etc
Attachment 432090
Lots of work there Baggs! Sounds really great. How'd it go with the shower hook up?
Old 05-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #18
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
Renovations rarely end. There is always something to improve on or add.
True True @57Vintage!
///

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxter View Post
My '73 took 8 years, (shell-off) renovation, and used it twice, now gone, then bought a '74 Sovereign, and have been at it, on a (shell-on) renovation, for 3 or 4 years....losing track of time. The hi-light of this build is the 600 mile, white knuckle journey I had to make from Columbus to Myrtle Beach...without any bulkheads or inner skins, as we moved to the Carolinas for retirement.
Currently wrestling with the belly wrap UGH!. The new floor is in, and will start electric, and plumbing next. Hope to be ready to roll at years end.
Hey @Bauxter, that's a tonne of work! So rewarding though I'm sure, especially making it through that 600 mile mega journey!! Belly wraps certainly don't sound fun to wrestle with... are you posting pics anywhere of the process?
////

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Hello, hoping I can squeak in with the "Vintage Kin" category. Currently chest deep in a 1946 Spartan Manor 25 foot. Past projects include : 76 Argosy 24, 61 Ambassador, 68 Overlander (current rig), and several other smaller projects, all involving frames and floors and partial to full renos. The Spartan had been gone through once before so there was nothing original to try to save. So far I've dealt with sliding windows, rebuilding vents, door latches and hinges (yes, there are 2), plywood floor overlay remove and replace and on and on. Some polishing done. Most insulation done. Front curved windows resealed/replaced. The list goes on. One of the most interesting features is that the trailer has what I can only describe as a "plastic" sublfloor just as an Airstream has a plywood one. It is in amazingly good shape so I didn't replace it, just layed a layer over it. I've been at this one since Oct of '21. Currently experimenting with bending ply for the curved ceiling, seems to have promise.
Keep at it, Mark D
Hey Mark, wow the '46 Spartan Manor sounds incredible - any photos of that one? Seems there's so many parts to focus on and each one because a mammoth project before moving onto the next. That plastic subfloor sounds smart!

I'm wonding, how are you bending the ply? The soak-in-water then clamp method? Or...?
Old 05-21-2023, 11:55 AM   #19
Lee from Retro Projects

1977 31' Sovereign
SoCal , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Been working on a 71 Globetrotter for what seems like forever. Currently trying to get the tanks all installed.
Nice one @Aerowood - is it the rear-bath model? Trying to picture the tank placement. And wondering whether you're equalizing them or keeping separate?
Old 05-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
aldinga beach , south australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_RP View Post
Lots of work there Baggs! Sounds really great. How'd it go with the shower hook up?
well i think ok...2 hrs of cutting and checking ...i had to make my own trap out of shortened elbows..must have crawlled underneath AS quite a lot...used 2" all the way...

today i take a bucket and check joins

hope your projects are more simple hahahClick image for larger version

Name:	20230520_154248.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	432160Click image for larger version

Name:	20230520_154256.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	432161
baggs is offline   Reply With Quote