Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Argosy, Argosy, Argosy.

Limited edition, tambour, etc. etc.

I rest my case.
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up The bestest

Ha - Ha The 1990 Classic 250 moho is the machine
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
well having read all these great comments I would have to say that the 79 25" Tradewind is the way to go
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Every Airstream owner has their own opinion, but after a bit of compairson of value, the sifting of functional features, you are left with the only one really true correct design choice. The 1968 24' Airstream Tradewind.
Love it!

I found, by talking to my dealer when I purchased this answer, which I believe is somewhat on target.

"Well, the 25" models are the most popular. The 23' has many of its advantages but with easier towing (narrower and lighter). It comes down to liking the corner bath and smaller tanks, or not."

One thing I found interesting when looking at a few 23' '09 models they showed me was that I really liked the model layout of the one I believe called the 23C no longer made, that they said, was unpopular yet; I found it a potentially excellent choice with its multi-use L lounge, tall cabinet in the corner and roll out/roll away table- ended up buying used but what a model. I would have probably purchased that one if a used model I liked hadn't become available. Here is what it looked like with the option below:

Name:   images-3.jpeg
Views: 602
Size:  7.2 KB

I believe it comes down to what others have said- needs and intended use on the layout. About everything else is the same. Now I say twin model with great lounge seating is best!

Quote:
Of all the Airstreams I've owned (15 I think), one of the best floor plans I've seen was in the 75 22 footer double axle Argosy with the Center L layout.
Hmm, I looked up the Center L Argosy shown under 1976 model line. Rear door, no static bed, L dinette, sofa, rear bath. Interesting layout.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
We have no idea what the "most desirable Airstream model" would be for anyone else. However, we really like our '94 21' dual axle Sovereign. 50 gallon freshwater, and solar. Bought from a couple who had lovingly taken care. We have now updated and personalized and it is our paid for dream.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
huh, that's funny rob, i was thinking the same thing
I tend to agree.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Love it!

I found, by talking to my dealer when I purchased this answer, which I believe is somewhat on target.

"Well, the 25" models are the most popular. The 23' has many of its advantages but with easier towing (narrower and lighter). It comes down to liking the corner bath and smaller tanks, or not."

One thing I found interesting when looking at a few 23' '09 models they showed me was that I really liked the model layout of the one I believe called the 23C no longer made, that they said, was unpopular yet; I found it a potentially excellent choice with its multi-use L lounge, tall cabinet in the corner and roll out/roll away table- ended up buying used but what a model. I would have probably purchased that one if a used model I liked hadn't become available. Here is what it looked like with the option below:

Attachment 240036

I believe it comes down to what others have said- needs and intended use on the layout. About everything else is the same. Now I say twin model with great lounge seating is best!

Hmm, I looked up the Center L Argosy shown under 1976 model line. Rear door, no static bed, L dinette, sofa, rear bath. Interesting layout.

We have the 23C. 2006. I keep looking at 25's but once we are out and about with this largest of the small trailers I'm quite satisfied. Best of all, it's paid for!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Interesting older thread, now recently revived. It sounds to me like finding the best Airstream is a multi-part exercise. First, one must establish the "mission profile" of how many people and pets, for how long, and where will you be. A young couple with no children or pets, both of whom work Internet-based businesses and will live full-time in their coach, will want something different than a young couple with two small children who want to go camping several times a year for a couple of days to a couple of weeks at a time. Neither of these coaches might be right for a retired couple who are full-timing and want to see the entire United States.

Once the mission profile is established, a budget must be established. That will include not only the purchase price, but also any necessary repairs and upgrades to the coach and tow vehicle. In some cases it may also include the tow vehicle. At the same time the decision will need to be made about how much repair is acceptable.

The first two parts are the easy ones, since they only require that all parties agree. The third part is the hard one - actually hunting down the right coach. As has been noted on other threads, some sellers list their coaches and then don't respond to interested parties. Others misrepresent their coaches (sometimes intentionally, most often unintentionally). Still others don't post proper photographs. Sometimes the price is too high, sometimes too low. Sometimes the coach you want is so far away that the cost to get it would be prohibitive. Those who buy new, of course, don't have most of these issues. They can just go to their dealer and order the coach of their dreams.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #49
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
So much depends on what kind of camping you like to do:

1. More wild or more urban
2. Weekends or long journeys
3. with or without all the comforts of home.
4. Boondocking or full-service RV resorts

and the type of person you are:

5. more environmentalist (looking for low gas mileage) or more into creature comforts.

and the number of travelers,

6. two-legged and four-legged;

and how much storage space is in your tow vehicle

7. a truck with a cap on the back for max. storage of camping gear, or a sedan with room only for a few suitcases.

We prefer more wild, and find that a shorter trailer serves our needs very well. I just made a revs. at St. Mary's CG in Glacier National Park, and 23 feet was the maximum length this CG accepts.

We do a mix of shorter and longer trips, with the max. so far at 6 weeks out, much of it in National Park and BLM campgrounds, where the sites for big rigs may be limited. We find it disappointing to hope for a back-to-nature experience, only to be walled in by monster 5th wheels and motor homes with toy-haulers, that totally block the views we drove so far to see. The Bambi lets us get into more interesting spaces, in campgrounds restricted to smaller rigs and tents. (Many public CGs have some big rig sites, but the number tends to be limited.)

We are a couple plus one medium-sized dog. The covered back end of our truck has ample storage space for camping gear, so we don't miss having more storage space in the AS.

We find that interior space is truly a state of mind. We went with the 19-footer on our second AS only to get a full bath and a little more kitchen, not because we felt personally constricted in the 16-foot Bambi.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:27 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Eight years ago I posted on this thread of most desirable Airstream model and all of us concluded, one way or another, that it was in the eye of the beholder per se. Now years later I want to answer again specific to what I believe are notable differences in Airstreams. I just got back from the Tampa RV Supershow 2024 and have more experience than I did years ago.

Putting personal preference aside on colors, etc., there is some delineation in models by these items:

Stationary bed count (how many will you regularly be sleeping) vs. makeshift bedding area.
Horizontal space (counter space for working, eating, chttps://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-to-dispose-of-camping-propane-tanks/ooking, etc.)
Storage volume (cabinets or space to store supplies, etc.)
Seating count and comfort

And the elephant in the room- Multi-use space. What all can I use this space for?

I can only speak of my personal experience with my Safari 25 but over the past 10 years I have altered it. I found that you can make it meet your need. I wanted comfortable seating and the best IMO was the 30' with their Villa couch so I swapped mine out for one, I had very little workspace so I considered what I did regularly in that space and ended up making a portable office in the bedroom over one twin bed (multi-use in case I need the bed). The IKEA chair fits perfectly between beds. In the kitchen space I created a makeshift counter that is portable. When installed it adds 27" of countertop to the kitchen. I have enough storage and beds for my need. I was able to increase my bed count to four adult sleepers from three by adding a blow up sofa option to the Villa couch. I've made several upgrades also from larger TV, better stove. This leads to that last question- how you can utilize space for more than one function? A twin bed option opens up to sitting area, dressing area, sleeping, and an office. The nightstand is a coffee bar! Some need doggie space so that must be available too- open floor space is critical for animals.

When you look at Airstreams, you will see models that have more or less of the named feature set. Some focus on seating number like the 28', the 20' counter space, the 30 and 33 comfort (both have best seating), storage 27 vs 28, etc. You can see it if you look and use a measuring tape. The bathrooms in most are about the same- a few big ones but mostly the same. Think about using the space for what you want and it will come together or you will brainstorm on a model of how you can make it fit with some creativity!

All this has to do with what you will do inside. The why wander part is another consideration- some would not want a desk or computer while camping!
Old 01-22-2024, 03:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
"Most Desirable" is all about Perspective!

Keep in mind...your perspective changes over time too! What was "most desirable" then, is not necessarily the same as now....at least for us!

When we started out in 2000, we were working stiffs that would only get out 'camping' for a weekend or a week at most. We were looking for a small trailer (1964 GlobeTrotter - 19') to use instead of a tent on short weekend get-aways. Lower cost, less demanding tow vehicle, fixer-upper, etc...

Then in 2007 we "upgraded" (1956 Safari - 22') to something bigger w/full-time beds (function) as our time off work included longer trips & two dogs. We went older, for the "coolness-factor" and towed with a vintage TV. We also had more disposable income for "toys".

Now, our needs have changed once more as we are approaching retirement...we've added a more "modern & longer" trailer (2015 Flying Cloud - 27') so we can full-time for a couple of years. Instead of "a tent", or a "vacation hub" it will be "home" for awhile.

Each has it's own "most desirable" features...just depends on your lifestyle & choices.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:36 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Shari,

I'm with you. Started with a 1970 Safari Special (still own), then to a 1966 Overlander (still own) then a 1966 Safari (sold, but have first right), then a 1956 Front Kitchen (still own), now have a 1996 34' Widebody Front-Kitchen. Depending on the type of travel we wish to do, we use the trailer that works best. Either that or I have a problem selling things!
Old 01-23-2024, 12:35 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I'm with you.

Either that or I have a problem selling things!
Like minds, similar paths Paul!

Fortunately, we're just down to two AS plus my Scotty, which will be on the market in the Spring! It's kinda cathartic getting rid of "things"....although, I doubt we will ever get rid of Birdy! We'll see how the "full-timing for 2 years" goes - coming from a 4K sf house to a 27-ft trailer...we may hate it and never want to step inside a trailer again!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:10 AM   #54

2017 30' International
Aiken , South Carolina
Airstream Most Desirable?

In June of 2020 we went searching for an Airstream. After looking at all the models, a 27’ or 28’ would be the smallest my wife, me and two big dogs could sustain our life without removing one another from this earth. Unfortunately, in 2020 new Airstream’s were sold out by May. We started searching for used ones along the east coast. One trip to Charleston, SC and three more to Florida, we found a 2017 30 ‘ International Serenity. Suits us perfectly. Like most of us will recommend that you need to decide your comfort level to determine the size. Weight of trailer fully loaded along with cargo will determine the tow vehicle size, another thing is how long you will be traveling. Weekend or months on end. Airstream site will give information about the most popular size that they sell. No matter which model you end up with, I recommend a Pro-Pride hitch. Read the forum, it contains an enormous amount of information.
sculpt is offline   Reply With Quote