Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
What kind of uniqueness have you done?

I was very impressed recently looking at SmokelessJoe's pictures of his remodel. He took an Ikea metal salad bowl and converted into a sink in his bathroom. How clever.
So, I'm wondering what else people out there have done similar to this. Kinda like the lady who made a bolster and sticks her blanket in it during the day.
I love inventive ways different people think. When you have to come up with unique ways to pack your AS, or craft it into your own.
What have you done to make yours personalized?
Alaska1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska1966
Kinda like the lady who made a bolster and sticks her blanket in it during the day.
Hey! That's me!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
I loved that!!! If you think of anymore let me know. I will have lots of time on my hands this winter to play with my "new/vintage" Airstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Hey! That's me!!!

Shari
Old 09-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Minor hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska1966
...What have you done to make yours personalized?
I know you are barking up another tree, but there is something that appears to be unique about my Overlander's refurbishment. I am the only one I know who has seamless sheet vinyl covering the floor instead of some form of wood.

Between having small children and knowing that stuff happens, I decided that I would spend too much time worrying that a wood-plank floor would not fair well, and would diminish my family's camping experience.

Past that, the only other unique thing done was to incorporate computer speakers into the decor to listen to the radio (pix at my web site) since my Airstream came without wall mounted speakers.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hmmm... I've put a pair of 120v flourescent fistures inside the curtain hangers for indirect lighting in the living room, and replaced the (broken) center vent with a Fantastic Fan. I've also removed the old radio, and replaced it with a new CD player with aux inputs for the DVD player I've installed.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Why'd he do that?.....still and again

Ref. a question I asked last year...Why'd he do that?....in reference to the many confusing and bungled mods to old Airstreams. Don't get me wrong, I really like personalized additions or modifications. We all find clipped wires, drill holes, additions and gaping holes in the cabinetry....and we all wonder Why'd he do that?
Along those lines, every year at the end of summer, there is a rash of Airstreams that come up for sale....interior stripped, belly pan off, holes cut into the top and left empty, etc., etc. The feeding frenzy of summer is over, the reality that it WILL cost over 5000 dollars to a basic redo on a "needing TLC" Airstream sets in. Bingo!!!its up for sale....in way worse condition than found. Too many nice vintage ones are lost. "Why'd he do that?" Don't believe me? Look at our classifieds and EBAY.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have modified the top of the “entertainment center” credenza to support a 37” LED HDTV and my G4 Mac Tower. Also replaced the dinette tabletop to match. Photos at Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Photos - vswingfield's Images
Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Overlander63
Hmmm... I've put a pair of 120v flourescent fixtures inside the curtain hangers for indirect lighting
Humm .... mood lighting - why Terry you old dog......
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
I'd love to see a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I know you are barking up another tree, but there is something that appears to be unique about my Overlander's refurbishment. I am the only one I know who has seamless sheet vinyl covering the floor instead of some form of wood.

Between having small children and knowing that stuff happens, I decided that I would spend too much time worrying that a wood-plank floor would not fair well, and would diminish my family's camping experience.

Past that, the only other unique thing done was to incorporate computer speakers into the decor to listen to the radio (pix at my web site) since my Airstream came without wall mounted speakers.

Tom
Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
I didn't mean tricking them out so much. I was looking for inventive ideas. For me it's all new and I'd like to see what great ideas people have. I've seen several on here. But I know there's more people who have done interesting things with their Airstreams for travel. We are trying to make ours pretty again. It already is to us of course. It sat for the last 20 years and needs tlc. I'd like ideas so we don't make mistakes. We live in Alaska. So we can't get to rallies and visit people and see what they have done to theirs. We have no intentions of selling ours anytime soon. It's our new baby. We're in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Ref. a question I asked last year...Why'd he do that?....in reference to the many confusing and bungled mods to old Airstreams. Don't get me wrong, I really like personalized additions or modifications. We all find clipped wires, drill holes, additions and gaping holes in the cabinetry....and we all wonder Why'd he do that?
Along those lines, every year at the end of summer, there is a rash of Airstreams that come up for sale....interior stripped, belly pan off, holes cut into the top and left empty, etc., etc. The feeding frenzy of summer is over, the reality that it WILL cost over 5000 dollars to a basic redo on a "needing TLC" Airstream sets in. Bingo!!!its up for sale....in way worse condition than found. Too many nice vintage ones are lost. "Why'd he do that?" Don't believe me? Look at our classifieds and EBAY.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since I know what many of your roads look like in Alaska (if they haven't changed in the last 25 years), the first thing I would do is install a rock guard on the front window. Since it is light a lot of the time when you would be camping, a solar panel would be a good idea to extend your boondocking stays.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Fairbanks , Alaska
25 years? It sounds like your due for another vacation here. I'm sure it's changed up here quite a bit. We are just now getting the small malls in town. Home Depot, Lowe's, Barne's and Noble, Old Navy and several others.

Thankfully the last owner installed a rock guard. The solar panels are of interest. I need to look into those. I just discovered another neighbor has an AS down the road from me since the leaves are falling off the trees. I haven't met them yet. But I'm hoping they might have some knowledge of them.
Thanks for the hints....

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Since I know what many of your roads look like in Alaska (if they haven't changed in the last 25 years), the first thing I would do is install a rock guard on the front window. Since it is light a lot of the time when you would be camping, a solar panel would be a good idea to extend your boondocking stays.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
CUstom mods that work for us

We made the following additions/enhancements to our 1963 Airstream that worked for us:

We did not like how the rooftop air conditioners disturbed the classic trailer profile so a the air has been mounted in a custom slideout:

Extended the Gaucho so it is now the size of a full queen:

Added a storage box to the front to hold chairs:

Put an outside shower (with hot water) - great for quickly washing up:

Few other things that I don't have pictures handy for:
-Added under trailer storage are for tire
-Added grey tank
-Added receiver on back so bike holder can be added
-Replaced stove with microwave convection (we don't even use our stove at home so this was a no brainer)

For the most part these have been great additions (still not sure about having the air on the floor - have not tried it in hot weather).

Hope this helps give you some ideas...
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Hmmm... I've put a pair of 120v flourescent fistures inside the curtain hangers for indirect lighting in the living room, and replaced the (broken) center vent with a Fantastic Fan. I've also removed the old radio, and replaced it with a new CD player with aux inputs for the DVD player I've installed.
Terry,
I did that as well except I used those lite strings..One on both sides..WOW, it really set off the ceiling nice...

ciao
53FC
sigv question abt the A/C...
Did you configure for drain? I would think it would be sooo simple.
One of the best Ideas I have seen or heard abt in many yrs~!!!
Airstream should use this concept on all models~!!
ciao
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
One of my neighbors had put out for anyone who wanted it a gorgeous oak coffee table. I snapped it up, then cut it to replace the dinette table. It sure does look nice IMHO and I've had a lot of comments on it.

I sure like the Ikea bowl idea. Got a buddy who is looking and who I will look like a hero too .

Barry