Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
TX Veteran Designation on Drivers License

Went to TX DOT office this morning to make some changes to my drivers license and found out that since Jan. 2012 they will put a veteran designation right on the new drivers license (DL).
You have to have your DD214 with you and must do this in person at the DOT office. It costs $11.00 to make the change.
Now I can go shopping on Veterans Day with my DL and get my discounts without having to carry my DD214 in my pocket to show the clerk at Sears.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
And perhaps get a little more slack from Johnny Law as well, should the need arise.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Went to the TDL office today

They announced this at our American Legion meeting a while back.

I went to the TDL office in San Marcos today to get Veteran on my TDL. I had to fill out a simple form and wait about 20 minutes for a free clerk.

It took only minutes to do the paperwork and would have been even faster if I had not had three honorable discharges. The first from enlisted status to be commissioned, the second to civilian 3 years later, and the third after being called up for the second Berlin crisis. The clerk insisted on checking and copying all three DD214s. After thumbprints and a photo, I am left with a temporary license until the real thing comes in the mail.

I'm finding a lot of places that give veteran discounts. Best so far is my closest HD with a 10% discount.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
John,
Thanks for telling us about the HD discount. I was not aware that they gave it.

You lucked out with a short waiting period to get a clerk to handle it. In Ft. worth, I had to wait outside the building for 40 minutes before I could get in the doors. Then 2 more hours before seeing someone to process the papers. Reminded me of the old days of "Hurry up and wait". Not complaining, just saying you are lucky that you live where you do for state services.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
John,

You are lucky that you live where you do for state services.
I don't know whether all HDs give the discount, but the one in Dripping Springs sure does.

You are right that I live in a good area for government services. Hays county is a fine place for all sorts of services. For instance, I have never waited more than 10 minutes in Dripping Springs to pay property taxes or renew a car registration. And I get a smile every time. The TDL office in south Austin is a bit closer, but I am not about to go there since I know it would rival your experience in FTW.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
This is great info. Thanks so much!!! I cannot believe how much I learn from all of you!

Thanks to all of you for your service to our country.

Kelly
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
John,

You lucked out with a short waiting period to get a clerk to handle it. In Ft. worth, I had to wait outside the building for 40 minutes before I could get in the doors. Then 2 more hours before seeing someone to process the papers. Reminded me of the old days of "Hurry up and wait". Not complaining, just saying you are lucky that you live where you do for state services.
Wow, where did you go? The big office down south?

I had to go for the photo-and-eye-test renewal and chose the one at Jacksboro Hwy and Boat Club, just outside 820. I think the whole thing took about 20 minutes, including the wait. I think I chose well!

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Wow, where did you go? The big office down south?

I had to go for the photo-and-eye-test renewal and chose the one at Jacksboro Hwy and Boat Club, just outside 820. I think the whole thing took about 20 minutes, including the wait. I think I chose well!

I went to the Lake Worth office. It was an experience for sure. Maybe I just went there on the wrong day. I think it was a Friday. Let that be a lesson to me!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
And perhaps get a little more slack from Johnny Law as well, should the need arise.
Why is that an expectation?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2

Why is that an expectation?
It has been my experience that when an officer is in a position to exercise some discretion, he's more likely to do so for a member of an organization he respects. (all other things being equal.)

Firemen and paramedics don't tag their personal vehicles JUST because they're proud of their work. Full disclosure: my partner is a licensed paramedic.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Very much so. The last time I was stopped, I was exceeding a rather silly speed limit. The officer looked at my USAA insurance card and said "You're a veteran." When I answered that I was an old fighter pilot, his attitude visibly changed He let me go with a scolding.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Just FYI Lowes and Home Depot both give 10% off to vets nation wide. On veterans day at Lowes you get an additional 10%.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I go to the DPS (Dept. of Public Safety) here in Cooke County Texas. This place is GREAT. No wait and all people speak real English and the signage is mostly in Real English too.....only foreign language signs are mandated by Law. Now, some of you may go crosswise on that....but, I also live in Hidalgo County Texas....I do know the difference. Veterans in both Counties are recognized.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
I scanned my DD 214 in high rez, then shrunk it down to credit card size, printed it and had it laminated. It's small but clear enough to read (if you're wearing your glasses!).
Saves a trip and some time if you have the tools.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Verizon & ATT give veteran discounts except on data plans.

You have to go into a company store and let them copy your DD214.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Discounts are good. I like where this thread is going.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . I wonder if other states have same ? We're about to move to AZ & have to go thru changing everything. As an aside, picking your spot for any government service is Important. I drive from ATL to Griffin,Ga (54 miles) to talk to the Social Security folks. Much less hassle. ATL offices are packed & generally staffed with rude folks...........Thanks & regards, Craig
Old 03-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
It has been my experience that when an officer is in a position to exercise some discretion, he's more likely to do so for a member of an organization he respects. (all other things being equal.)

Firemen and paramedics don't tag their personal vehicles JUST because they're proud of their work. Full disclosure: my partner is a licensed paramedic.
Yes, we have discretion; however, we are trained to treat all with impartiality. Being human, I understand your point; however, since attending the state LE academy in 1979, I have worked hard to train the rooks and myself to remain impartial. We also try not to label or tag our vehicles to expect any consideration (even as an EMT/Paramedic) due to color of the law. (Although I admit proudly to having a Go Navy sticker on my topper window)

There is a huge disagreement with some folks in other LE agencies expecting "professional courtesy". Around here, we do not extend it nor do we expect it. In fact, that question often comes up in the screening / selection process!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Yes, we have discretion; however, we are trained to treat all with impartiality. Being human, I understand your point; however, since attending the state LE academy in 1979, I have worked hard to train the rooks and myself to remain impartial. We also try not to label or tag our vehicles to expect any consideration (even as an EMT/Paramedic) due to color of the law. (Although I admit proudly to having a Go Navy sticker on my topper window)

There is a huge disagreement with some folks in other LE agencies expecting "professional courtesy". Around here, we do not extend it nor do we expect it. In fact, that question often comes up in the screening / selection process!
Understand that I didn't mean my observation to be disparaging to law-enforcement officers. We all perceive the world through the lens of our experience, and while training can help us make better or more consistent decisions, or at least decisions more in line with what the designers of the training intend, there's still influence from the life we've lived.

It's much more easy for me to understand extending a bit more leeway to veterans and emergency personnel than the more explicit "professional courtesy" you alluded to. I'm thinking in terms of warning vs. ticket for a vet driving 76 in a 70 on the open road, not so much letting someone off for running 90 in a 70 in traffic because they're a cop. It's back to my original caveat of "all other things being equal."