Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Two Door Trailers - Airstream are you listening

I was lying in bed last night not sleeping well because a neighbor just had a fire in his trailer - probably caused by a 15 year old water heater. I'm lying in my bed in my 25' FB SE looking out the front window at my propane tanks and thinking about my water heater right under my bedroom closet. He got out of the small bedroom door on his trailer - the escape door.

I'm thinking about the "emergency exit window" at the foot of the bed that I long ago decided wasn't physically possible for me to get out of without attempting a swan dive from the foot of the bed. I'm not ancient, but the window is small and three feet off the floor..... it's a JOKE as an emergency exit.

I then thought, jeez why didn't they make this window into a DOOR? Of course it only took one more moment to realize that it would be on the roadside in the 25, but could easily be on the curb side on the 27 FB with queen... and the 25 could be reconfigured so that the bed was flopped to the other side and there was a door at the foot. (Of course with twins, it's a no-go either way.

I once more checked my secondary extinguishers, made a note to myself to replace the water heater at 10 years or earlier and finally drifted off to an uneasy night's sleep.

Remember ALWAYS do a safety check on your appliances and don't try to repair badly worn propane appliances, replace them.

Paula
Old 10-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Great Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I was lying in bed last night not sleeping well because a neighbor just had a fire in his trailer - probably caused by a 15 year old water heater. I'm lying in my bed in my 25' FB SE looking out the front window at my propane tanks and thinking about my water heater right under my bedroom closet. He got out of the small bedroom door on his trailer - the escape door.

I'm thinking about the "emergency exit window" at the foot of the bed that I long ago decided wasn't physically possible for me to get out of without attempting a swan dive from the foot of the bed. I'm not ancient, but the window is small and three feet off the floor..... it's a JOKE as an emergency exit.

I then thought, jeez why didn't they make this window into a DOOR? Of course it only took one more moment to realize that it would be on the roadside in the 25, but could easily be on the curb side on the 27 FB with queen... and the 25 could be reconfigured so that the bed was flopped to the other side and there was a door at the foot. (Of course with twins, it's a no-go either way.

I once more checked my secondary extinguishers, made a note to myself to replace the water heater at 10 years or earlier and finally drifted off to an uneasy night's sleep.

Remember ALWAYS do a safety check on your appliances and don't try to repair badly worn propane appliances, replace them.

Paula
Paula, Great tip! I am sending you Karma for that one! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Your post about a second door to replace the emergency exit window got me to thinking also. I, too, have a 25FB queen bed. I would love to see a second access door in place of that window. I would want it on the street side, though. It would need to be there (as the emergency window is) to provide access to or from the trailer if it were to somehow end up on its right side. I would also like to see it there for late night quick access to "sewer central". I would never again have to dash all the way around the trailer in my undewear to pull the gray water release handle prior to the shower pan overflowing. This arrangement would easily cut this trip in half. This could also be very beneficial in a black water emergency.

Some of what I just said was somewhat in jest, but the more I think about it, the better I like it. I went and measured, and the width of the opening of the window is the same as the door. We have an appointment at JC for Lucy to have some work done on October 22nd. I am going to ask them about the feasability of replacing that window with a door, and if it can be done, what would it cost.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Good Point.

It’s 16 feet from the closest edge of the bed in my Excella to the back of the dinette by the door. That’s as long as some trailers. A second exit could have real benefit. Of course, there would be some loss of structural integrity and another place to leak.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Good Good Point Paula!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
It’s 16 feet from the closest edge of the bed in my Excella to the back of the dinette by the door. That’s as long as some trailers. A second exit could have real benefit. Of course, there would be some loss of structural integrity and another place to leak.
The loss of structural integrity would be minimal, if any. As to leaking, my door is about the only part of the trailer that has never leaked.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We never tuck in for the night in our Airstream that I don't find myself thinking about emergency exiting. I know in our trailer that the rear window at the head of the bed is an emergency exit, I've looked at it, but I've never actually gone through the steps to prove that I could do it. Actually, I have visions of 1) being stuck half in and half out while the campground gathers round to offer suggestions while rolling on the ground laughing or 2) getting out, but not knowing how to put the window structure back together again. I propose Emergency Exit 101 to be put on the agendas of all upcoming forum rallies to be held this year and next. I'll just bet I'm not the only Airstreamer out there who is unskilled about using this lifesaving feature in our trailers. CanOpeners, what do you think? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
So that's why they painted that window red, huh?

I've not "tried it out" - guess I will though now that this in my head!

Does it just pull free of the frame? In other words, am I gonna be dropping that puppy on the ground?

.............Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I'm affraid to try-out the emergency window. I'm sure that it will come out as designed. I'm sure it will go right back in nicely and leak from then on.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
ok, i confess, i never have tested the emergency exits. october is fire prevention month! now would be a good tme to do it. it gives a plus to turning the ewater heater off at night.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
They made the 34' with a double door for a couple of years in the 90's, it's one of my favorite Airstreams. The should at least offer it as an option.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
There is no designated E- exit in our '66. I have an extinguisher next to the door but after reading in the Forums "What if a fire began between you and that door", I bought another extinguisher to place in the rear bath. Should such an emergency occur and the extinguisher isn't enough I can use it to smash the rear window. My wife and I don't have agile bodies anymore but if we have to we will tumble over each other getting through that window opening. It probably would be a good idea to smash that window before attempting to extinguish the fire. We have at least a plan.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Mine has a second door.

OK it has a second door because it isn't an Airstream, but that is precisely one of the reasons I bought it.

I remeber one of the members having a mid-60's "California" model he was rebuilding. It had both doors on the curbside. There was also the late 40's Whirlwind with two doors curbside(unfortunately not many of those around).

My Spartan Mansion has the front on the curb and the back on the street. I love it but in my planning the new interior layout I am finding all sorts of things that could go in that space. Doors take a lot of room that would normally accept cabinetry or other items that run above the window line. The window may be the same width as a door or wider, but still allows things to be positioned underneath such as beds and tables.

Most trailer manufacturers are required to build their product according to certain building codes just as home builders do. The emergency window is required by code because you must have a second exit. Unfortunately, there is only so much room for a door as we all know.

Still, i prefer the two doors and I think manufacturers should listen to the buying public. I have learned, if you want something from a design, most of the time you can find a way to get it. I beleive Airstream can find a way to put in the second door at least as an option if enough people ask for it.

Brent
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
what difference does it make which side the emergency door is on .....in an "emergency" I wouldn't care!
It would make sense for the window to be a door in our 27' FB with queen bed...is a retro fit possible?
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I test my emerg window regularly and bring a number of fire extinguishers as well.

Though I do keep the fridge on LP when not connected to electric and run the furnace when needed, I have turned off the water heater when not in use at night. Costs me more to heat it back up I know, compared to a maintained temperature, but it gives me piece of mind, cause in my case, the water heater is right under the foot my bed and what a hot foot that would be!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

Paula
Paula,

If the window comes out the procedure is easier to perform than describe but I will try. With the window out, Head first out the window facing into the coach, back to the outside. Sit on the window frame, only the legs from the femur down are now inside, push out until the crook of your knees are on the window frame, lean back against the out side of the trailer and extend your hands to the ground, hope the reach at this point Then just take the weight off the back side of the knees and roll out on to the ground. I have never needed to perform in an emergency but have practiced with an older RV in the past. Quick and easy with a little practice. May be worth the effort.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Exclamation Emergency exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
-- I'll just bet I'm not the only Airstreamer out there who is unskilled about using this lifesaving feature in our trailers. -- ~
You're not!

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It probably would be a good idea to smash that window before attempting to extinguish the fire.
Neil, This is exactly on target. Get out first, fight the fire from outside if it's still small enough and safe. Grab your extinguisher on the way out - if it's safe.
Kudos to all of you who have pre-planned the scenarios in your head - this role playing may save your life some day. Do the same for you home, check your smoke detector.
I hope you never have to use any of this in an emergency.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Paula - I recently emailed Chris Burch in service to ask if this was something they could do in my 27FB flying cloud. And the answer is no.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately - that window isn't a viable exit in an emergency (though the description provided above seems like a potential exit strategy). But am I supposed to throw my Bloodhound out the window first? In a true emergency - the confusion and panic would just make exit that much more complicated. Why NOT a door there - even if it opens to street side - it would OPEN and make for a much more likely exit.

I'm wondering what other options there could be? A ladder going up to the window inside and down to the ground outside? A human-sized "doggie door" below the exit window? A second window below the exit window for a closer to the ground escape? An Airstream body expert who could do the additional door?

I suppose thinking about popping out the bedroom window (over the a-frame) might be worth investigating, but the propane tanks and setup there aren't helpful.

I don't know why it's been in my mind recently but I'd really love to have a different solution for this. 😳
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My exit window is above the desk in the rear of the AS. Our technique is pop the window, get up and sit on the desk, get feet out the window, then roll and slide to the bumper.

Wife, kids and dogs go out first...

We have big fire extinguishers on BOTH ends of the trailer to cover us as we bail out. Anything else is just stuff.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote