Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have the front gaucho, or fold-out couch, in our Overlander, and had the dual gauchos and slide out table in our Argosy. They give a lot more room in the trailer when it is folded out of the way.
As far as easy ways to hitch up, one thing that is a big help is the electric tongue jack. I installed one last year, after sugery, and it makes a huge difference not having to crank the trailer up and down.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
First, ease of driving varies. My inlaws once had a Class C MH with rear bath and kitchen that was horrible to drive. All over the road at 60mph. My wife drove it 2 miles and pulled off to let me take over. And she's not a timid driver.

A well set up TT combination is easy to drive once you get used to the length. With hitching, the hardest part is inserting the torsion bars and applying the tension. You may find it to be too much. However, look at a Hensley hitch, because the torsion bars stay set, as far as I know. It's a bit tricky at first, but most who have one get used to it. It is also the best and safest hitch, to be sure.

We love the foldout credenza table. We would not choose a dinette now. It's flexible in its configuration, and wider than most dinette tables. We keep two lightweight wooden folding chairs (bought ours at IKEA) bungee corded in the closet.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Does a Hensley require less physical effort than the other hitches? The heaviest part of the Reeses dual cam is lifting the hitch with shank and ball into the car receiver. Our new one is heavier than the last and it takes me some real grunt power but once it is attached we do not remove it for the trip duration. As overlander says you definitely want an electric tongue jack. The trick to putting on the bars is to crank up the rear of the car with the jack to take tension off them until they are hooked up.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I love my trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
A big problem with a larger, more comfortable TT is having enough TV to pull it. When not traveling folks may not like having to tool around town in a 3/4-ton.
...but baby, you hit the nail on the head with this observation. Little did I know that my 3/4 ton Suburban would turn a Lexus SUV into an "economy car"

But actual truth is that I've learned to love my big honkin' heavy Chevy! NO ONE tailgates that sucker and I find that people rarely cut me off in traffic. I've also become a kinder, gentler less aggressive driver too (just to mess with people's heads). I do dislike how many people with big trucks turn into total a...holes, so I've gone to the other extreme.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Pat,
Might I suggest that you and your husband rent a travel trailer for a week, take it out, try hooking/unhooking, towing/parking, etc. You have had a motorhome, and no doubt know what that is all about including the toad. I doubt you will be able to rent an Airstream, but an SOB will give you an idea.
As for being able to, I have a couple of friends from Las Vegas, both in their 80's, who joined us and 32 other couples on the second group going on the Golden Anniversary Tour last year through Canada. We moved every 2 or 3 days for 59 days. They hooked up alone, unhooked alone most of the time. They worked as a team. Mentally, they are extremely sharp, however, physically, challenged to say the least. They do the chores adequately, however, I will be the first to tell you, at 54 years of age with a bad back, I enjoy the chores of motorhoming more than I do trailering. There are times when the MH will not go where I want, and I use the trailer then. Hmmmmm.....maybe thats the idea that could be of use....one of each?
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #26
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
David brought up something that is of concern to my husband: how hard is it to up and unhook?

Is there a hitch that a 65yo woman can handle? We are going to look at a 25ft Classic. I can do most things, but am not as strong as I once was. Are some hitches easier than others? IF we settle on a tt, we will want the best, safest, easiest hitch.

Another question: how do you who have no dinnette like the fold out table? Does it work well instead of the dinnette? The fold out table seems like it might be ok. anyone have one?

Pat
Pat, the 25' is an excellent size, not too small that you'll feel crowded, but not so large that it's unwieldy or overwhelming to tow. I don't have a dinette in our new trailer and don't miss it at all. In our 23' Safari years ago we had the front couch/fold out table and it worked very well.

Regarding hitches, a standard friction control drawbar and ball mount will weigh on the order of 25 lbs or so. That's the heaviest part, and as Carol mentioned, the hardest part is getting it into the receiver on the truck. If you have an electric tongue jack, there's not much manual labor involved in hitching up at all. It takes practice, but it's not difficult.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have both most of the thime we prefer the MH (SOB) with the toad.
I would think there would be someone in your area that could show you what is involved with the TV/TT hook up. If you have the electric jack and know a few tricks it is not that hard. If you don't know the tricks is can be difficult.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
I would think there would be someone in your area that could show you what is involved with the TV/TT hook up. If you have the electric jack and know a few tricks it is not that hard. If you don't know the tricks is can be difficult.

Garry
I live 20 miles away from them, they have but to ask...
Also, our trailer is stored less than a mile from the Airstream dealer.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Does a Hensley require less physical effort than the other hitches? The heaviest part of the Reeses dual cam is lifting the hitch with shank and ball into the car receiver. Our new one is heavier than the last and it takes me some real grunt power but once it is attached we do not remove it for the trip duration. As overlander says you definitely want an electric tongue jack. The trick to putting on the bars is to crank up the rear of the car with the jack to take tension off them until they are hooked up.
Heavy iron is heavy iron (Hensley, Reese, Equalizer). But I hear you on the weight of the hitch bar/ball combo. What's worse is when I put my Enkay Rockguard onto the hitch bar before I lift it off the ground -- though I do have that down to a system, assembling them in the proper orientation immediately below the receiver. However I do recognize that I'm both strong and healthy. Like Carol, ours also stays on the truck the entire trip. Carol's mention of engaging the WD bars definitely is easier the higher you electric jack the tongue. My Argosy is all hand crank but not a problem due to the lighter weight; I'd still install an electric jack if it was my primary trailer. The Safari would be a doozy without the electric jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I don't have a dinette in our new trailer and don't miss it at all. In our 23' Safari years ago we had the front couch/fold out table and it worked very well. ..... If you have an electric tongue jack, there's not much manual labor involved in hitching up at all. It takes practice, but it's not difficult.
I went from a 24' narrow body Argosy to a 25' 11" wide body Safari. There is some difference backing but not much -- mostly visibility. Towing? The Argo is a powderpuff by comparison but a newer (read: heavier) 25' can't be towed with ease by anything less than a 3/4-ton tow vehicle.

re: Roger's comments on choosing between a dinette or gaucho. The new 25' FB has a dinette and a couch right next to it. Great social space!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
If you rent a TT with the wrong setup, hitch etc., it might send the wrong message. I'd probably take Terry at overlander 63's offer and get some first hand advice from a long time airstreamer. Could be fun.
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #31
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi starflyte1--We have traveled extensively in both motor homes, and our 27' Airstream trailer. If you consider what type of travel you will do, the decision becomes eaiser. If you move frequently, and are on the road 2 to 3 days a week you will be best served with a motor home. If you plan to be in one place for 2 weeks or more a travel trailer will be best.

Another thing to consider, which is well covered in the posts above, is the cost of motor home running gear maintenance, which is big. A $1000 doesn't go very far. A tow vehicle is a lot less expensive to maintain, a lot easier to replace, and a lot eaiser to use when you are home. Over 18-years we have traveled in our A/S as long as seven months, before returning home, and towed it with about five Chevy full size window vans, and 10 Suburbans, which also were our daily drivers. The maintenance on the A/S over this time was about $1500 for tires, batterys, brakes, water heater, and toilet. This year we got new Dexter axles for $1274, which will last longer than we will.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I've been following this thread and just had to add my 2 cents worth.
The comparisson of an SOB Class C with poor handling is interesting but perhaps a little off base regarding the questions of AS Moho or AS TT. Frank might want to take a ride in an AS moho and experience the quality.
The cost of an appropriate tow vehicle for a 25' TT will be quite a chunk of cash. Take the cost of a Classic AS now going cheap. Factor in a toad that you might already have, or the cost of an economical one. Now if you're in a location for a couple of weeks you have something economical to drive (lightweight toad) and sightsee from vs. a monster truck and monster monthly payment?
Either way you look at it, if you have a moho with a toad vs. a TT with a TV you have a combo that will require due care and dilligence while driving and parking.
At least we can all agree on one thing...."It's got to be Airstream."
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Terry, thanks for the offer! We may take you up on it.

Glen, we already have both a tv and a toad. Just bought the Suburban last week and really would not like to get rid of it. Like FoiledAgain said "big, heavy, honkin' CHEVY". Also hate to think of getting rid of my PT.

All of my questions and concerns are being addressed except one.
What does gen prep mean on a pricing sheet for a tt?

I am so lucky to have found this forum. We have made some costly mistakes in the past in chosing mhs, but think the next one, whether it be a mh or tt, will be THE one, due to all the discussions and suggestions on this board. Thanks!

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
All of my questions and concerns are being addressed except one.
What does gen prep mean on a pricing sheet for a tt?
Pat
General Preparation. It may also be listed as a PDI (pre-delivery inspection, or dealer prep). Usually consists of washing the coach, making sure the tires are properly inflated, wheel lugs torqued, lights and appliances work, etc. Usually takes the tech a couple of hours to do.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Hi, Terry,

I mis-quoted the order form.

Someone has posted a 2005 order form. One of the options listed is "generator prep-remote" costing $227 and weighing 9 lbs.

Also, the 2006 has remote generator ready option. ??

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote