Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

2009 31' Classic
La Quinta , California
Travel to British Columbia and Alaska

We are taking our airstream to Alaska thhis summer..I would like to know how some of you others re: Routes taken, places to see/avoid..any other information you would fell that might be helpful

Mike Kline
La Quinta, CA
Mike Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Beautiful British Columbia

I have traveled extensively throughout Alberta and British Columbia, Canada.
Depending on when you are going and how much time you have, and whether you are returning or staying.
Get on Hwy 97 at Ellensburg, WA. Located on I90 east of Tacoma. This will take you thru the Okanogan Valley of Washington, crossing the Canadian border at Osoyoos. From there you have three great choices. Stay on Hwy 97 up thru Williams Lake (locally called Bill's Puddle) to Prince George then on to Dawson Creek. Choice 2 is to go north out of Kamloops on Hwy 5, then on Hwy 16 to Prince George. Choice 3 is to take Canadian Hwy 1, it intersects with 97A at Sicamous which is north of Kelowna. Stay on Hwy 1 until you get to Lake Louise in Alberta, then go north on 93 thru Banff and Jasper National Parks. All three routes are absolutely beautiful.
If you decide on route 16 west out of Prince George, the chances of running into rain increase dramatically.
As it does when you cross the Yukon Territory.
Take at least one full set of tires as spares for your trailer. The ALCAN Hwy is one rough and tough road.
HAVE A GREAT TRIP !!!!!!!!!!!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hello Mike. There are a number of threads on Alaska and I'd advise you to check on a lot of them.

I can think for 4 ways to get there, but the Alaska Hwy will figure in just about any way you go:

1. You can pick up the Alaska Hwy in Dawson Creek, BC, and take it to Alaska. It gives you some historical perspective. We live further east than you, so we go through Calgary and Edmonton to get to the Highway, or through Banff and Jasper, then north to the Highway.

2. Take the Ferry. You can pick it up in Washington and go north or pick it up Prince Rupert, BC, and take it to Haines or Skagway, then drive to the Alaska Hwy.

3. Make your way to the Yellowhead Hwy (crosses the middle of BC, east-west) and then take the Cassiar Hwy north to the Alaska Hwy.

4. Go north through Alberta into the Northwest Territories and then go west and south to the Alaska Hwy.

You could take a succession of Alaska ferries across the Gulf of Alaska and avoid the Alaska Hwy if you are allergic to it or want to do something hardly anyone does.

I started a thread about who is going to Alaska this year that has some information: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...ska-61581.html

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote