Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Toilet and Shower in my Tent

I had a toilet installed in my tent. A North Face tent, with the four crossing aluminum flexible rods. Those used on Mount Everest. Imagine that. I purchased it in the early 1970ís to use when collecting Fossil Vertebrates on Ranches in western Nebraska.

Climbers on Mount Everest used their North Face as a toilet as well. It is cold at elevation. Body parts can easily freeze if exposed to fridgid wind. Also during daylight hours. The toilet worked very well, if promptly used.

I used a flashlight in and out of the tent for light. Open the tent vents for fresh air.

A Shower was added to the North Face Tent. A one person shower with only cold water. It drained into the toilet. The Tent was Level. No gauges. If it was full. I knew. I had to squat to fit when washing my hair in the shower.

A card board box with clothing served as my dresser. A carton of food, some geologic maps tucked in between the toilet and shower. This was great insulation, also.

The sleeping bag rested upon a inflatable mattress, but uncomfortable. I found a Memory Foam mattress, cut it down to size to fit the open space available. It was very comfortable.

A folding chair sat outside the tent with a small plastic folding table. A propane cylinder cooktop sat on the tailgate of the small 1978 Toyota 4x4 with camper shell. This was before Toyota offered full sized trucks. This was a four cylinder. Great gas mileage.

I had a fork, spoon, a butter knife and a hunting knife attached to my pantís belt. I ate food out of a can if the contents did not need heat. Otherwise I used a stainless bowl that was purchased at a Laramie, Wyoming garage sale. Also several sweaters and a hat.

The five gallon water jug lasted a week to ten days. A water system was extended from the Black Hills of South Dakota across a pasture at this Ranch and kept going, somewhere. I did not follow it to the end. There was a pump head where I lifted it and cold fresh water was available in the Badlands at 100 degrees on cooler days. I could also use this to wash up, if needed.

When I passed my 29th Birthday... I felt no longer immortal. Passing 40 years of age was tough with a wife and two daughters. Daughters slept in the back of the Toyota Tundra. I had upsized the vehicle. Kept the North Face Tent. The tent is rolled up in the carrying bag in the garage. A bit small for todayís standards.

As 50 went by I said Hell with the Tent, the toilet, the shower and the cardboard boxes. At 56 years old... I bought a 2006 23 foot Safari with Solar. It was nice. The Airstream had everything the tent had as standard.

I currently have a 2019 27 foot International. It is OK. I set the North Face Tent next to it. The tent has a toilet and a shower. I use the International to store things. Life is good.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
This was a special time to remind those who find problems when using their Airstream.

It is an inflatable aluminum tent... in my opinion. Enjoy your inflatable tent. It is wonderful.

Figure out how everything works. Ask questions on the Airforums. Make the best of your youth... and those like myself... a healthy person exceeding my estimate of life expectancy.

Some... of the previous post was a spoof. Maybe most.

What is your story? My Boondocking has improved over the decades. Now... I have no place to go. I have been everywhere.

Been there. Done that.

Maybe I now need to buy a Tow Vehicle and leave my RV Garage. What do you think? Diesel or Gas? So many decisions. Have to find my North Face tent. It works.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Live like a King in your Tent... or Airstream

Whew... now that you may possibly be a Tent Camper that fell for the temptation of an Airstream... here is how you might try to maintain that spirit of adventure.

Medicine Bow,Wyoming: 2006 23 foot Safari on its first Adventure, second day of use, at The Virginian Hotel. This is breakfast. Our second day on the road.

If you are able to live the Tent Lifestyle with an Airstream, you will have the best of both worlds. Don't get the RV Park Syndrome that comes with Aluminum Fever. The savings will pay for your Airstream if you keep it for a long time. We kept ours for 8 years.

You do not need hookups. You do need Solar. It helps if you have a dog, or two.

Make NO Reservations. Pick places outside your experience that look interesting... on a map. You already know how to do that. Imagine the same experience now in your Airstream. You can retain the Sense of Adventure and live in a well equipped home on wheels.

Less than 20% of Airstream owners will camp in National Forest and Bureau of Land Management vacant land with hunter's camps and logging pullouts built before many of us were born. These places are usually... NOT on any MAP. You have to find it and take the GPS location to FIND it again in the future. We record ALL of our decent campsites. You never know when it comes in convenient... which can be often.

Small towns have parks, rodeo grounds and visitor parking. You will become adept at finding these places over time. They may not allow Tents... but an Airstream... Whoooo Hooo for you. We have never been asked to leave any temporary campsite... but you must be discrete. Be out of the way. Tucked so that you are not blocking access to the area, but in a position you can easily... remove yourself if asked. Often... they will allow you ONE Evening.

Are there any Tent to Airstream campers following this? If not... I can let the Thread die on its own and not participate.

How have your Tent Camping Skills transferred to Airstream Boondocking?

Yes... I ate the whole pancake. Maybe a good portion what Nancy did not eat of her pancake, as well. The Virginian Hotel no longer makes this size pancake, so you will have to settle for less. Sometimes the Airstream Magic works. Sometimes it doesn't...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0834.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	372183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0842.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	372184  

Name:	DSCN0849.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	372187  
Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Improvised Space... and the Tent Shovel Tango

Our first year and using what we learned Tent Camping. This 23 foot Safari had a small Solar Panel on the roof and we never replaced the AGM batteries after 8 years.

The Tent Shovel Tango requires no water. No dump station. The shovel is to dislodge a boulder creating a privy. Toss in soil/dirt is the FLUSH. We pack out our toilet paper. It takes years to dissolve naturally. We pick up after our dogs in town... but in the woods... come on.. they compete with bear, coyotes and herds of cattle.

New Mexico at 7600 feet. Scattered showers and the both Blue Heeler pet porters are protected from the wind and drizzle that trip.

Our campsites are NOT KOA. They are better. They are A.OK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1022.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	372191   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1021.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	372192  

Old 07-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
I still have my North Face Windy Pass tent but the 1980 Toyota SR5 is long gone.
paulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
The 23 and 25 foot Airstreams fit almost anywhere.

Some photographs for inspiration. Wyoming and Utah campsites found by pointing at an area, find a road that 'might' get us there... and set camp.

Many find this very difficult to comprehend... the first time towing a trailer and not tossing a tent into the back of a pickup. I still was learning HOW to back up. After this kind of camping... you get... really, really good quick.

I am cleaning up some early photographs taken in 2006. These give you an idea how easy campsites can be found in nowhere. National Forest campgrounds in the Bush are also very handy and under $6. One NFS campground may be indicated on a map... but four could be on the stretch of road.

Do not trust your map more than 60%. Many are not accurate and a paved road... is not. Some are former 'wagon toll roads' in Colorado. I have found wagon roads, cut into the side of the hill at Oregon Buttes that have large trees now growing out of part of it.

Some Stagecoaches took two days to travel and along Beaver Rim, Wyoming there are old tin cans scattered around as proof. Lander was still 20 miles to the north and the sun was setting with the Wind River Mountains... all to see.

If you are reluctant to even attempt an unplanned OTG Boondocking Trip... that is your loss. The skill it requires is already learned from tent camping. The trailer makes it so much easier.

You learn Up, Down, Left, Right, Forward and Backward as automatic reflexes to avoid tree branches, bushes on the sides and rocks, boulders and angles of the road to avoid dragging your bumper.

Try it. If you do not like it. Post it on this Thread with photographs. We want to see what you did. For me... it is a Ahhhhhhhh. Cannot wait. Two weeks we are out of here... again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1903.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	372197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1978.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	372198  

Name:	DSCN2017.jpg