Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Theatre (what they were called then!) projectionists and carbon-arc projectors with real film. Not those video projectors we have now where you can see the artifacts in the picture. There are no artifacts in film!

I used to work as a television engineer and compression artifacts drive me nuts! Especially when I'm paying seven bucks to see the movie!

I have a longer story about my best friend who was a projectionist for many years, here: The Theatre Projectionist
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Respect for experience in the workplace!
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #63
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Vinyl still rules....

One of the best things about it....you have to actually sit down, pay attention, and LISTEN to it, when it's finished it requires you to actually choose what you would like to hear next.

Bob
Not sure how that is any different than a CD in terms of how it is used, but I sure like your Beogram TT (tangential tracking) turntable.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #64
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
B&O 4004....

Bob
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Joe Walsh has it right..."I'm an analog man in a digital world"....

Rich
Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #66
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Great story. Almost as entertaining as the movie itself.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
I have a longer story about my best friend who was a projectionist for many years, here: The Theatre Projectionist
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Oh the fun we had at the drive-in movie theater.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #68
Jdh
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Slc , Utah
Class.
Style.
Common sense, and decency.
A good hat.
The right shoes.
A good martini, and the right scotch.
Smoking a cigar wherever you wanted.
I was born in the wrong decade.
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Baseball cards in bicycle spokes. Vroom, vroom.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
How about stuff Airstream used to put in the trailers, like the counter mount Margarita maker......Nutone blender.

Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #71
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
We need a simple "starter motorhome" that is not too complicated for the young ones to get the bug.

Graeme's 1937 Ford "Housecar"

Dave
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
We need a simple "starter motorhome" that is not too complicated for the young ones to get the bug.

I second that. Where is the VW poptop camper of today? A sink, a stove, a bed. No toilet, black water tank, complicated valves and intricate electrical and plumbing systems.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #73
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
What are we thinking!

Who in their right mind would have done this wonderful deed 20ys ago?

BBC News - London 2012: US Ralph Lauren uniform made in China

If that does not work try this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...iforms-burned/

If you were in a position to represent your country, would you want to wear this outfit made off shore?

What we need back is some common sense!

Dave
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
What are we thinking!

Who in their right mind would have done this wonderful deed 20ys ago?

BBC News - London 2012: US Ralph Lauren uniform made in China

If that does not work try this one.

Lawmakers Want ‘Made in China’ U.S. Olympic Uniforms Burned - ABC News

If you were in a position to represent your country, would you want to wear this outfit made off shore?

What we need back is some common sense!

Dave
I am very tired of paying serious dollars for something only to realize that only the box/packaging is US or Canadian made and the actual item is made offshore, and not well. Highly respected names with critical items like axle/wheel bearings that explode when the shop is trying to press them on as one recent example. It was just a good thing we had a shop doing the work and not at home (we were on the road - the friends TV lost a rear wheel bearing) or we'd of probably not gotten a replacement for free. The shop commented that this is not an uncommon thing.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #75
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
The BBC has a good review of the lifestyle of the 50's and 60's through advertising on their site today.
Adds include 57 Caddy and 58 Pontiac and other good old memories of the good life.
BBC News - Ads from America's real-life Mad Men

No Airstreams.

Dave
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Great link, Dave. It was a blast seeing those ads. I have quite a collection of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Many of those ads were in them. It's amazing how things have changed, not always for the better.

This is one of my favorite videos about aerodynamic designs. There is actually an Airstream near the end. I forget where I saw it the first time, probably on this forum.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good things in the here and now...

Some things definitely were better back in the day BUT there has been real progress, do you remember circa the 1960's that:
  • long distance calls were $1.05 for the first minute and $.35 for every minute thereafter. Talking to grandma in california was something that happened on birthdays and Christmas.
  • glass ketchup bottles - and the great debate where some brands were "Catsup" and others were "Ketchup" - and you'd wait and pound and wait some more then turn the bottle toward you and PLOP - a quarter of a cup of the stuff would land in your lap.
  • Picture tubes that took 3 or 4 minutes to warm up. I couldn't stand to miss a minute of "Cheyanne" and it was always a battle to get the dinner dishes cleared up so I could watch (8 years old with the hots for a man 17 years my senior - shame on me.) BTW I miss men with chest hair - the heck with men waxing!
  • Playtex RUBBER girdles - yes they really had them - I bless the chemist who invented spandex. Other punitive underwear that largely passed in the 60's. "Texas" bras - underwires that tortured you front and back ("Texas"? - Head em up, move em out!) Right after WWII the "new look" lasted for a few years - it was long full skirts, and victorian pinched waists complete with corsets and waist cinchers that could break a rib.
  • Garter belts - one would always snap loose in church. You couldn't utter a sound and getting to the restroom to re-hitch without being detected was an ordeal.
  • Glass Shampoo bottles - YIKES I remember one shattering in the sink. Glass bleach bottles - a gallon weighed 10 lbs with the heavy brown bottle and I remember a neighbor who passed out before she could get out of the basement after letting all that chlorine get loose (she may have had ammonia in the area too... very dangerous).
  • I also bless the person who invented wash and wear. I still touch up iron a lot of stuff, but as a small child I helped mom iron tablecloths, napkins, sheets, pillowcases, curtains (with ruffles!) and then graduated on to pants and shirts. Ironing a cotton dress shirt with starch was a 20 minute proposition and I was glad my dad worked in a factory so I only had one or two a week to do! Office dads often went through a dozen a week because they were wilted by noon and had to be changed. Only the very rich had them laundered and ironed at the drycleaner.
  • Having to put on a hat and gloves to go uptown and go to any of the nice stores. You could run into a candy store and by licorice whips in jeans, but a clothing store or a milliner, or a shoe store? Heaven forbid.
Fashion wise, I am pretty sure that we've gone way too far in the other direction. www.peopleofwalmart.com shows me so. I have to TRAIN employees what our dress code means. It goes like this. "You are to be clean, covered and comfortable at work. We are to see you without smelling you. You are not to wear any underwear or nightwear as outerwear at work and most of all we only want to see one set of cheeks only - even when you are seated or bending over! No tube tops or Daisy Dukes. Tongue and lip jewelry are not permitted at work if in the opinion of the supervisor OR the owner they affect your diction, clarity of speech, or add clicks or noise to your voice. (we ARE a telephone answering service)"

In the past month I've had to insist that two operators remove the tongue balls because they click against the teeth - one who'd just gotten the piercing didn't want it to close up, so she was given the option of going home until it healed or taking it out, the other got a daily inspection to enforce compliance - until she whacked her front tooth one too many times and broke it. Now she's got a huge dental bill and has eschewed the damn ball. I regularly have to explain that pajama bottoms are NOT slacks, and that a visible thong (even if it covers your tramp stamp) is underwear as outerwear. I'm going to ADD no strapless dresses to the tube top prohibition. It's an udder disgrace what some big chested people think they can get away with... especially when the booosom hits the keyboard they are typing on.

Paula
Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #78
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again;1179251"long distance calls were $1.05 for the first minute and $.35 for every minute thereafter. Talking to grandma in california was something that happened on birthdays and Christmas."[/SIZE

Yes, but we knew how to write a letter!

Fashion wise, I am pretty sure that we've gone way too far in the other direction. www.peopleofwalmart.com shows me so. I have to TRAIN employees what our dress code means. It goes like this. "You are to be clean, covered and comfortable at work. We are to see you without smelling you. You are not to wear any underwear or nightwear as outerwear at work and most of all we only want to see one set of cheeks only - even when you are seated or bending over! No tube tops or Daisy Dukes. Tongue and lip jewelry are not permitted at work if in the opinion of the supervisor OR the owner they affect your diction, clarity of speech, or add clicks or noise to your voice. (we ARE a telephone answering service)" Paula

Sounds like common sense to me! What happened common sense?

Dave
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
dexter , New York
common sence has been beater down by warning lables , warning hot coffee is hot , the plastic bottle works better but warning plastic causes cancer in some states?? my biggest peave please PULL UP YOUR PANTS I dont care to see your underware. how can you work like . I dont remember a midlle ground between my grandpa and ma and now . phone has improved greatly but dont text me standing next to me talk with your head up ItoI
jonesy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #80
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
We need to have some organization rebuild the dreams of the last century with an integrated transportation, accommodation and hospitality industry similar to what some of the big railways had before the shareholders got greedy and wanted their money now!

The thought of world travel on the CANADIAN PACIFIC, from London England, to Hong Kong, Australia/ NZ and beyond, by ship, plane, rail, and accommodation in CP Hotels over the route can not be realized today because shareholders only dream of instant money.

What a shame.

1979 CPR "The Canadian" Eastbound - Vancouver to Winnipeg - Rolly Martin Country

CPR "The Canadian" equipment - Rolly Martin Country

Monaco tried something similar with their motorhomes, making it a family affair, with large company owned RV parks, and service centers, located in various locations, but shareholders could not wait on that to mature either.

The Airstream parks are all individually owned by co-ops etc, and even that concept is being abandoned.

Is life really better in the 21st Century?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canb19.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	173743