Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up The Long, Long, Trailer by Clinton Twiss

The Long, Long, Trailer is often mentioned in various posts, but we most often think of the movie starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. The movie was actually based upon a book by the same name written by Clinton Twiss in 1951. I had seen this book mentioned in the jacket notes on my VHS tape for years, and my curiosity finally got the best of me and I went in search of a copy. I found and purchased a copy through Amazon.com.

During the past 30 hours, we had a power outage so I took the opportunity to read the book cover-to-cover. It is just as funny as the movie, and has several twists and quirks that ween't part of the movie.

The book was the chronicle of a couples year-long journey in a 28' Airway Zephyr ($4,200) towed by a Chrysler New Yorker convertible ($3,500) both purchased new just for the adventure. The one thing that the movie and book did not share in common was that the Twiss' were not newleyweds. The movie takes several of the experience out of their original order, and the book has a few incidents that the movie didn't meniton including:
  • The shopping trip to purchase all of the accessories for the trailer's interior.
  • The spun connecting rod bearing on the Chrysler.
  • The geyser that errupted when pressure was applied to the pressurized water system.
  • The Chivary that welcomed two newlyweds to their trailer home late one night in California.
  • The audience that gathered when Oliver practiced maneuvering the trailer in the California desert.
  • The Culpeppers, a family who would become their near constant traveling companions for a week (the Culpeppers were towing a Vagabond trailer with a matching Cadillac towcar -- both painted fuschia).
  • The tire incident with the trailer dolly.
  • Getting stuck in the mud when exiting their site in a trailer park.
  • Taking the trailer and car on ferry only to become stuck on the entrance ramp.
  • The fact that Merle (Oliver's wife) had difficulty interpreting maps yet acted as navigator.
  • The system of co-lookouts as they traveled -- Oliver watched the left while Merle watched the right for traffic whenever the need to change lanes arose.
  • The short tour of Mexico that resulted when they became embroiled in a traffice line-up that was headed across the border.
  • The incident where they became temporarily stranded in a tunnel.
  • The return to California where the agricultural inspection created an absoloutely hillarious situation.
  • The assorted array of trailer parks that the couple experienced.
The book is enthralling, and I had difficulty putting it down. Somehow, I feel like I have company -- others who travel with Murphy's Law as a constant companion. The book is at least as funny as the movie, and possibly more hillarious.

If you are looking for a funny look at traveling this book definitely provides that look and more -- the down-side is that Airstream is only mentioned once.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for the information and the details. I will get the book.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thanks, I will look for the book too. About what does the book go for? I assume it is out of print?

Apologies for this slight diversion, but I'm looking for a copy of Thank You Marco Polo at a reasonable price. Amazon.com has it but is a bit pricey. Send me a PM if you can help.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ouch, $30 on amazon! I'd love to read it, but I'll have to hold out a bit longer for that. Maybe we need to organize an airstream 'lending library'

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
The Long, Long, Trailer by Clinton Twiss

My research turned up copies from $30.00 on up to $100. The higher priced copies were near mint with original dust jackets. Since I will be utilizing mine in my open house display next the television playing the movie version of the book, I went with one of the books toward the top of the price range to get the original dust cover. One that a I missed out on in an E-Bay auction went for a little over $50.

I suspect that the collector interest in Vintage RVs has helped to fuel the value of this book as it could be of interest to just about anyone who is interested in Vintage RVs.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Speaking of hard-to-find, out-of-print Airstream books...I won a ebay auction for a copy of "Home Was Never Like This" by Etta Payne a book about the first WB Caravan to Europe in 1956. It's signed w/a dust jacket...I've been searching for this one for a couple of years and finally, I was happy to win the auction at under $60...I won't say how much I was willing to pay, but I was pleased.

I think the only reason there weren't more bidders, is it didn't say "Airstream" anywhere in the ebay listing.

Can't wait to get it later this week ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love reading those travelogue types of books, even modern ones. Makes me want to sell my house and hit the road!

Are there any other cool old books like that on your reading list?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
You might get it through interlibrary loan

I get books all the time through interlibrary loan. It's a national service and is often free - some places I've lived I had to pay for the postage. Ask at your local library and they can probably borrow it for you. As a book-a-holic if I didn't use inter library loan I'd barely be able to eat - never mind getting an airstream! -
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Lending Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Ouch, $30 on amazon! I'd love to read it, but I'll have to hold out a bit longer for that. Maybe we need to organize an airstream 'lending library'
I'm sure getting a lending library off the ground would take some work, but I second that idea and would be willing to help
Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Are there any other cool old books like that on your reading list?
There's a good list of them on the VAC website, check the "Out of Print" section.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey the book sounds fun! Thanks Kevin. There are pictures of the author and wife and trailer here Trailerite.com - Celebrating Clinton Twiss, One of the first Full Time RVers

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
The Long, Long, Trailer by Clinton Twiss

Greetings Carol!

Thanks for the link! I hadn't thought about doing a search for more about the author -- the picture of the trailer even shows the tow dolly.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What a cool trailer! Front and back doors, each with it's own fancy awning, and porthole windows?

C'mon, AS, get with it, we want that "modern" design!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Ogden , Utah
I'm a bookseller looking for info to sell a copy of The Long, Long Trailer

and lo and behold: Google's search engine brought your thread here up to the top of the heap! Ya'll enlightened me.

Thanks Carol, for the link with the picture of Mr. Twiss. Funny guy.
~willow~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Speaking of hard-to-find, out-of-print Airstream books...I won a ebay auction for a copy of "Home Was Never Like This" by Etta Payne a book about the first WB Caravan to Europe in 1956. It's signed w/a dust jacket...I've been searching for this one for a couple of years and finally, I was happy to win the auction at under $60...I won't say how much I was willing to pay, but I was pleased.

I think the only reason there weren't more bidders, is it didn't say "Airstream" anywhere in the ebay listing.

Can't wait to get it later this week ~

Shari

Good friends Etta and Oscar.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0065  EP Home WB and SB ab.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	71381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD 2008 - BOZEMAN RALLY (183)a.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	71382  

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up overlander64...

I was doing some research and found your comments here about "The Long Long Trailer Novel by Clinton Twiss"!

Trails have been told long and since we all can remember... Now. Since I have been a gear-head from birth, and keep in mind, that AirStream is and may it always be, "The Cadillac Of Comfort, when it comes to that very special over the road feeling, that many have enjoyed of our nomad & gypsy spirit".

Cart before the horse?... I am still trying to figure this out...

1950; My Mom And Dad with 9 children started to think about a trip west to California from Stoneham Ma, at the time. Now, keep in mind that at the time I was 5 years old and wasn't preview of all of their thoughts. "And In No Way Neglected"!

You will find a part of this story out at a blog that I started out at a very delicious part of our beloved United States, in NH.
My blog; Winnipesaukee Forum - Blog Entries

I would ask of you all, for you're help and support in this matter...
Love,
Terry
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Interesting story

A quick google search shows the big Buick in 49 weighed 4,500lbs.

Roadmasters shared GM's C-body platform, riding a 126-in. wheelbase and measuring 214.125 in. overall. They were powered by Buick's biggest valve-in-head straight eight, a 320.2-cubic-inch unit that cranked out 150 bhp on a 6.9:1 compression ratio.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Interesting story

A quick google search shows the big Buick in 49 weighed 4,500lbs.

Roadmasters shared GM's C-body platform, riding a 126-in. wheelbase and measuring 214.125 in. overall. They were powered by Buick's biggest valve-in-head straight eight, a 320.2-cubic-inch unit that cranked out 150 bhp on a 6.9:1 compression ratio.
Hi Road R,

It was a powerhouse, that's for sure. Being a custom built trailer with accommodations for 11 people, plus all of the provisions loaded inside, it took a lot of torque just to get the thing rolling. This is where the Dynaflow transmission shined!
Although the 1948 Buick had the same engine, it was a three speed standard shift, and if we tried to tow the big trailer with it, we probably never would have made it out of Stoneham without burning up a clutch!

Shortly after getting to California, my folks decided to sell the 49, as it was brutal on fuel. California law wouldn't permit a house trailer that size, to be towed over the road. My Dad was in Transportation Management, and got transfured up to Santa Maria. We had to load the house traler on a flatbead tracter trailer unit, by crane, to bring it up there.
My Dad and I went down to the trucking co's yard to tow the trailer to the park and set it up on the lot. Well it didn't take very long and you could smell that old clutch burn'in up!! Only had to tow it about three and a half miles, and we made it okay, but had to replace the clutch that week!

Thank you for you're interest RR.

Happy Trails And New Year!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
If anyone is still looking for funny old trailer books, try to find a copy of "Folding Bedouins or Adrift in a Trailer", 1936, by Howard Vincent O'Brian. I borrowed it through inter-library loan and thought it was great fun.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
The Fallowing Portion Of Our Journey...

I remember very well and would like to share it with Y'all.

I was 7 years old, pushing 8.
We had spent the day in Salt Lake City before travelling south into Las Vegas.
On this leg of our trip, the bought used luggage trailer had a bent axle and would strip the rubber off a new tire on a pretty regular basis, especially in the heat of day... It and we experienced two flat tires, which slowed us down immeasurably. The decision was made in Las Vegas to cross the Mojave Desert at night.

Well, there just happened to be a raging wind and sandstorm and my Dad had his hands full trying to keep the high profile rig in one lane. Here comes a State Trooper that had been following us for a while, he pulled us over and made us put up at a truck stop over night until the storm blew over.
Now, even after the sunset it was HOT. Neither the Buicks or the Magic Carpet had air conditioning. I was tired and went to bed early that evening.
Before my Mom and Dad turned in for the night, they left the front door open with just the screen door closed for ventilation.
Next, and this could have been the early creation of how Brinks Home Security got started.

They took out Every pot & pan, piled them on the kitchen counter, tied a string from them and over to the screen door handle, so as any would-be intruder would at least wake us up!
So guess who wakes up thirsty in the middle of the night, stumbles out to the kitchen and streight away sets this crude but very effective devise off!
'HE, double hocky sticks' broke loose, and the pain of the pots & pans bouncing off of my bare toes, and my own family coming at me with rolling pins, baseball bats and guns, you can talk all you want about seeing you're life flash before you're very EYES!!
Oh, and take another guess who was on everyones dung list for a few days, to boot!