Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs down Ban Children From A Restaurant??

The following could be a little hard to stomach / and or swallow!

With todays economy, I couldn't imagine any self respecting family restaurant wanting to ban children under a certain age... However, some are...

I would hazard a guess that todays Moms and Dads have lost some of the ( use of the brail system, if you will ), to communicate good behavior to their siblings...

Now!.. / Waaayyyyy back when I was young, and born even younger, my parents taught me and the rest of us children just how to behave, wise? Course, it could have been the size of the herd?.. They never wanted us to get out of hand, ( so to speak ). ( And Especially Around The Dinner Table )...
Here's a pic of all of us enjoying lunch at the very exclusive Columbia Yacht Club back in 19 and 52! They loved us, and could have retired from our bill and tips alone!

Sides, have you ever tried eating lunch with a fat lip?
Only kidding, Love Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Crew Enjoying Lunch At The Columbia Yacht Club In 1952 Photo By Life Magazine.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	138793  
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #182
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Not Everyones Typical HotDog...

Most of us love Coney Island hotDogs...

My younger sister says in this photo, ( way too late , of course ) Hold The Sauerkraut!!

Photo by Life Magazine, 19 and 52

Love, Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coney Island HotDog.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	138799  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile The Magic Carpet's Movie Theater

Taken in the living room, by Life Magazine in the spring of 1951.

Of course black & white has lost favor to color, 3D, HD, WS, SS and others since then.

Must have been a movie about the Arctic on TV this day, as I had my coat on, and my nose must have been running, although there was's not any room to park it outside at the time, as I remember...
Love, Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Magic Carpet Drive Up Theater.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	138976  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #184
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
On Our Long Journey West

Although, we did miss some of the things that we had to leave behind, ( for lack of space ), it never stopped us from improvising when we had to!

Here's a look see...

Pic # 1. Sophisticated Front Lawn Furniture.

and BTW, when Y'all have a chance, by all means vote for this thread to put it among the top 2000d or so, would yah!

With love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sophisticated Front Lawn Furniture.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	139145  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Terry, I read this thread one evening recently like a novel. It has become one of my favorite threads. Your story and the crisp B&W photos are an absolute delight! In spite of all the difficulties, the trip westward must have tons of family memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you for sharing this private glimpse into your family's journey with the Magic Carpet. And don't stop. Each post is a gem.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #186
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Dear Sugarfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Terry, I read this thread one evening recently like a novel. It has become one of my favorite threads. Your story and the crisp B&W photos are an absolute delight! In spite of all the difficulties, the trip westward must have tons of family memories that will last a lifetime.

Thank you for sharing this private glimpse into your family's journey with the Magic Carpet. And don't stop. Each post is a gem.

And thank you, for your comments and interest!..
I, for one was soooo lucky to have found AirStream forums, and have so graciously been accepted and allowed to post about our story here in this very Prestigious thread!

Some of my family has moved on from us, into Heaven... I was also very blessed with big ears to facilitate hearing them on occasion, during a passing thunder shower, or even during a hurricane, their still talking about what we shared together during our trip!

I am always very grateful for the more positive news, past or present!
With Love,
Old 09-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #187
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile And For All Of You Great Golfers Out There...

Course, you'da had to be on your best game, and I don't know that even that would have helped you get a word in wedge and or other wise, let alone getting close to the flag in this next photo!

Picture # 1. A replica of the Boston Tea Party taken in smooch better times in the Magic Carpet at Stoneham Ma. by Life Magazine, 19 and 51 .
With love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mom And Friends Tea Party, Magic Carpet.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	139178  
Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Nearing California, 'Gold Rush' ???

On a rest stop, ever so closer to California...
Most of us kids were just a'itchin to find some 'O that there Gold what got learned to us being brought up in the east , and so the oldest and most fit of us children, ( I counted eight at the time ), excavated a new valley in about twenty minutes!.. Well, sooo much for them there text books... We never even found a dang earing, let alone a gold watch!!

However, we were pretty tuckered out after and very happy to hit the road again, after that there!
With love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	California Gold Rush Ins.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	139254  
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
'Bulliton- Bulliton!!!!

A Side note; And please put it entirely on my tab!..
Due to my poor spelling here and after ( And only because I found some spelling mistakes that were totally made by me and my keyboard in previous posts as I want to at the very least share the blame ).

Now, as most understand, spell checkers like holidays off too!.. And waaayyyy back when I was in school, I kicked butt in them spelling B's, don't ya know!

So, I installed a Mega Spell checker, on my computer!.. Now, thats the good news!

The bad news is that I just got an E-mail from them that they told me was delayed by Irene, and that there was No such place known as Nearing, California!

And further unsettling, they said, ' Either Your There, Or You Ain't ' !!
'YIKES'!!!!

Hey, I try my best! What else can I say???

OH well,.. Happy Labor Day To Everyone!!!!
With Love,
Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #190
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Some May Ask

Does this journey ever end???

I for one would give them a straight answer saying that, ' I would hope NOT '. WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!!
With Love,
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #191
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
And, Should You Be Looking For A Better Place To Park

Your Trailer?.. My thought is that you have already come to the right spot!!. Open, 24-7-365 days a week! What A Wonderful Landing ( in AirStream Forums.com )!! They even Give you free rivets, just in case you are missing any???
With Love,
Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #192
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Now, Our Journey West Wasn't Without some

Heart rending moments for sure and also as you may imagine with a troop as large as ours, there was sort of a void in familiarity and especially among the youngest in our group!..
Again, most children get to learn their own back yards with a few bumps and bruises. Think about spreading that back yard out over 4000 + miles, and it will bring to light just how very blessed and lucky we were!!

Poor youngest brother Brynn in a freak accident, lost his balance from the second ladder rung from the floor, and just landed wrong on his left leg and broke it.
Due to an elaborate cast, that separated his left from right legs, he was totally healed and as good as new when we got out to California, and with his Doctors permission, of course.

Another casualty, although less severe along the way, younger Brother Brynn checking to see if he should need to operate on Sister Doña's knee, after she took a brief fall while playing out of doors in the yard.

Pic # 1. Being Casted, Before Hollywood? Sister Doña helping to make Brother Brynn more comfortable.

Pic # 2. Sister Doña's Wounded Knee, South Dakota.

With Love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sister Keeping Brother Comfortable.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	139481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wounded Knee, South Dakota.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	139482  

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Wow! What a great nostalgic romp.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #194
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Oh Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Wow! What a great nostalgic romp.
Thanks for your comment, Fly at Night!!

AND, we often did Fly at and all Night along our way west!.. I don't to this very day know how our Mom and Dad did what they did back then when they did it, , however sleeping while standing with our Dear Lord's protective guidance I do know was somewhere in the mix! Even without traveling, just think about doing it well, with nine children, at the time...

Very clearly, Mom and Dad made it happen, the rest of us were and went on an extended ride, ( if you will ).
With Love,
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #195
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
And Our Golden Western Heritage Continues On

Although the early 19 and 50s have long and since removed the memories of the wagon wheeled families that moved west Long and Before the rest of us, and the only Indians we ever came across ( were us and our very own, along the way )... I can't see that much has changed since them times...

Now, The Old Old West was even older than the 19 and early 50s, as some will recall! This will go a long long ways in showing to go Y'a, just how far we've come over the many since years since then!
Yup, the O'l wagon wheels done did the trail and left little but for us to follow!
Get my drift??
With Love,

Pic # 1. Brother Brynn On The Mend

Pic # 2. Load Em Up-Move Em Out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brother Brynn, On The Mend.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	139488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Load em Up, Move em Out.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	139489  

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet And, Speaking Of Dings, On Our Way...

No name calling here, ;... We 'pulled' into a trailer park ( heading west ), to park and rest over night... Now, my Dad always made it a point to convey to the Clerk at the counter, while registering, that and how come we had a 46 foot trailer and S'more!!..

The clerk said to him, ( ' We have plenty of room for you sir, and gave my Dad the keys for lot # 24 and # 25, for the Magic Carpet '), and lot # 26 for the 19 and 48 Buick with Rascal Flats.

Well, come to find out, there was No Way to fit the Magic Carpet in them two #s 24 and #s 25 lots, and you couldn't even stuff popcorn in those either!!

So, although our Dad tried his best, the Magic Carpet suffered it's first and only bruise of our journey.

The grounds crew was summoned shortly there and after and offered to extend us a Long Long extension cord, to stay the night, out in the outback, if you will! Free of charge, don't ya know!!
With Love
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46 Footer, And Some Change.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	139643  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Can't even imagine.

Hi, I can't even imagine trying to park a 46' trailer. My total length is only 44' and that's plenty in most places. 26' trailer, 17' Lincoln, and another foot for the hitch. Also I would think that it would take two Buicks to tow that trailer. Kind of like two engines on a train. Keep this story coming, we like it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #198
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Dear Bob, And Hey, That Is Close Enough...

Well, if I was as good look'in as you, I would have started this trip out in Hollywood...
With Love,

Bear with me now, I'll see what I can do... Over?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #199
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Yup, Even Back In 19 And 51...

The Paparazzi were around.
However, I could even imagine the interest in so huge a space, although not quite a space ship... Even before The Magic Carpet had her name painted upon, I talked some local paparazzi into letting me borrow their camera so's I could take a picture of them peeping around trying to get a better look see!

Here's what I got...

Pic # 1. Jeepers Peepers
With Love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jeepers Peepers.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	139669  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #200
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Terry,

The Long, Long Trailer title brought me to this thread and I'm so happy that you appropriated it for an even higher use! After reading your wonderful posts and seeing the amazing Life magazine photos, I feel like I've known your lovely family for years.

Seeing the once-in-a-lifetime adventure your parents created for you - and the obvious mark it left on your brothers and sisters - has really bolstered my confidence that our recent decision to buy our own long trailer was the right one!

I pray that our kids will remember us the way you do your own parents and that we'll have the strength to give them the foundation for life that can only come with a family who works, learns and plays together!
Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote