Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanksgiving trip & turkey-in-a-bucket

Somehow I managed to convince my entire family to come camping with me on Thanksgiving. It was such a good time - and a bit less stressful than the traditional dinners that we have. Of course, if everyone would have just realized that it is difficult to still prepare and serve the same amount of food, the better it would have been ....

Anyway, I made my first Turkey-in-a-Bucket. They said it wouldn't work. There were those who thought that the steel drum would put out toxic fumes, those that thought it would be undercooked, and others who thought it would be a total PITA. Haha - it was GREAT! I got a 20 gal steel drum from an olde-tyme hardware store (they removed the lid) and, because it was painted, we *seasoned* it on the campfire for hours the night before. No one got sick or noticed any fumes I brined a 12lb bird overnight, stuck him on a stainless rod (contributed by my dad), filled the cavity with apples and some spices and of course, included a beer can filled with Amberbock (not Miller Chill), put the drum on top with 20 lbs ashed charcoal. One hour, twenty minutes later, a beautiful and moist bird!!! I'm gonna do this every year.

Now I need to find a way to keep the steel drum from rusting --- any ideas?

Set up --- before arrival of the masses

charcoal removed from top and from around base

here she is - like?

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That was a neat get-together for Thanksgiving. Your turkey looks beautiful and the apples and spices sound good too. Looks like you had wonderful weather too. Did you eat outside or inside?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Very cool idea! To manage the rust try this:

Put cheap cooking oil in a small bucket/can and use an old paint brush to paint the interior with oil. Wash it off with soap and water next year before use. Be careful with cooking sprays however - they have all kinds of other stuff added to help with non-stick baking that may not age gracefully.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
That was a neat get-together for Thanksgiving. Your turkey looks beautiful and the apples and spices sound good too. Looks like you had wonderful weather too. Did you eat outside or inside?
There ended up being about 18 of us - though only 7 of us camped in two trailers and a tent. The rest of the folks live close and came over (with food) for the day. We ate outside --- think it was about 70 degrees and sunny.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Very cool idea! To manage the rust try this:

Put cheap cooking oil in a small bucket/can and use an old paint brush to paint the interior with oil. Wash it off with soap and water next year before use. Be careful with cooking sprays however - they have all kinds of other stuff added to help with non-stick baking that may not age gracefully.

Oh thanks Janet --- I'll try the cooking oil --- sounds easy enough!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I always want to go camping for the holidays but cant seem to talk others into it it was nice up here in North West Fl. but a little cool in the 50's.....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote