Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Thank You VHORD!

Vernon,
The keys that you made for our airstream came today, we were able to open every thing but the outside water door, must take a different key. We found out why the battery charger ran constantly when we plugged into 110. We have NO battery in the box! Gotta put that on the "to git" list.

Thank you again for the keys. Someday maybe I can "pay it forward" to someone else.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Most Airstreams (except ours, of course) use the same key for all the access hatches. The water fill door takes not only a different key cut, but a completely different key. Instead of a single-sided key, it is a double-sided key. Maybe next rally, you can go door-to-door until you find one that works your lock, then run to the locksmith and get a duplicate.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Overlander63,

Our son says he drives by an AS everyday on his way to work and now it has a for sale sign on it. We have 2 grandbabies today so we are going to take a ride to look at it, and I'm going to ask if we could possible borrow the water key and take it into town and get a copy. I'll offer to leave a deposit for it. Worth a shot.

Annette
Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
Overlander63,

Our son says he drives by an AS everyday on his way to work and now it has a for sale sign on it. We have 2 grandbabies today so we are going to take a ride to look at it, and I'm going to ask if we could possible borrow the water key and take it into town and get a copy. I'll offer to leave a deposit for it. Worth a shot.

Annette
The water filler key is different, as it has several different cuts it could be. That's why I suggested an Airstream rally, you could go to the neighbors, try the keys until one fits, and then go get it copied.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Now, I'm real new to all this AS stuff, but don't we have to get it open to fill it with water?

Annette
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Now, I'm real new to all this AS stuff, but don't we have to get it open to fill it with water?

Annette
Yes. You could do some temporary engineering, and remove the fill hose inside the trailer, and fill it from there until you get a key. Just put the hose back on the filler so it doesn't splash all over. Ignore the dueling banjos in the background when you do this...
Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Water Door

You can reach the lock from the inside. Take the nut off the back and then off too the locksmith!

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Gunnyusmc, Fantastic! tomorrow we should have the lower wall skins off up to that point. Will report back any success.

Thanks Annette
Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Vernon,
Thank you again for the keys. Someday maybe I can "pay it forward" to someone else.

Annette
You are very welcome. I am glad that they worked.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
look to see if there are numbers stamped into the face of the lock (very faint). if you see numbers, post them. someone should have a match to it.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Hi- I was able to get the water-fill door key from Oasis Rv, in Tucson, Arizona. I too have a '72, and they sent the exact right key for it, first time, and it is indeed kind of a double-sided key. Give them a call, or pm me if you would like to have a key made from mine. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote