Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #141
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
If this doesn't look like a work up to a BBQ Rally at one of the big ones, Memphis in May or...... The Royal...
Or just a plain ole First Annual National Alumininuts BBQ Rally.

PS Brine the chicken
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #142
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
PS Brine the chicken

Always. I like the brining method supplied by CLARK'S of Tioga, TX.

Maybe that cast aluminum will shine like new:

PK Grills

Too bad they no longer sell the folding stand. Mine will shine up after some hardware replacement. In truth I have no plans to take the stand along in travel. Just some 4x4's inletted to chock/hold it in place off the ground.

Figure on having to glass-bead or other type of blasting on the grill shell to get that rough casting back into shape.

Just home from a week-long trip and planning on a whole meal on the grill as wife is still out of town. Unfortunately the modern cookbook doesn't show the double grill where this oven can be set up with food all across two layers.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:15 AM   #143
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Time to get this grill back out. Chicken to brine, and a small brisket to smoke over the weekend. Beans.

Haven't had the PK glass-beaded, but will try some acid this morning to see if I can't brighten it up some. Figure I'll be running it most of Saturday and again Sunday.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #144
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Texas BBQ Full Monty

Hit the PK with an aluminum brightener that is a mix of hydrofluoric and sulfuric acid. Used mainly to brighten big truck aluminum. About all it did was make this cast piece go from dark to a lighter grey.

So, the first batch from fifteen pounds of bird leg quarters are being smoked after an overnight brine. A 12-qt CAMBRO tubs is handy for this and for storing dry foods otherwise.

A small brisket after the bird to get the smoke ring, and then it goes to the oven to finish off. The last use of the PK will be some sausage.

B&B oak charcoal briquettes. Some chips to heighten things.

BBQ sauce flavored baked beans (Stubbs spicy) in trailer oven inside closed Dutch oven have a couple more hours to go.

Might make some potato salad tomorrow. Used taste memory to figure out how my mother and grandmother made it. Won't ever be their quality, though.

I sold another SS trailer last week and moved it for the new owner. Was famished afterwards and stopped at a local joint to eat a pound of brisket.

Sure don't get tired of it.

I'll make quite a few plates to chill for dinners the next couple of weeks. Three meats, two sides, sweet tea, and some fresh bread.

Sure will miss easy availability in moving away some day.

The current trailer needs more HD interior cleaning, and I have to replace the grey poly water supply lines. Supper will be a welcome repast as I do this work.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hey slow mover, how's it going? Still down in Corpus?

I had the luxury of a 3-day weekend so I took it easy on Friday and Saturday, but had to make up for it Sunday. I smoked a 13-lb brisket, 2 racks of beef short ribs, and 2 racks of pork spare ribs. Had the extended family over to watch the USA women's soccer team win the WWC, and made short work of the meat.

Still, I managed to save a little of the brisket and beef ribs, it will become the filling for some BBQ enchiladas I'll make in a couple of days.

Take Care!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #146
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Still stuck here. Re-read this thread in anticipation of doing what for me is the full monte BBQ, from beverage to sides to three meats. From the PK to the trailer oven worked very well for the near 20-lbs of meat done. And BBQ baked beans in trailer oven. Started prep night before and finished cooking late the night of the fourth. A lot of work for one person. But am close to being able to do it with eyes closed, near the point of the thing. Many dinners now in cold storage.

Hope your trailering family are out and about with their bbq master providing the campground eats

Ross