Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitsend
utee94 said - Spending the night in your Airstream makes for a perfect weekend I think. My wife has told me numerous times that she has no doubt I'm going to be doing that regularly as soon as we finally get one.

utee94 - Only another Airstreamer could understand that . Mine is sometimes also used as a periodic mental escape pod. It's quiet, no phones, my DVD's & books are out there, but sadly no internet connection (yet!! - to ward off the 'sweet hints' that all I do is surf the Forums!! !!).

utee94 said - Yeah, it got pretty dern hot yesterday didn't it? I was outside all day cleaning and re-staining my deck and patio furniture, and I had no choice but to cool off with a few icy cold long-necks myself. I was a bit apprehensive about spending the day hanging out by a fiery hot pit, but this morning the temperature is so pleasant that it's been a fantastic morning.

utee94 - Yesterday's temp was a great excuse to keep the cooler stocked and take frequent breaks to re-hydrate, Texas style . Taking the streaks off the AS this am was a treat - great weather this early in the day & good music on the radio. Life's good.

utee94 said - I love the Wimberly area by the way, we're thinking about buying some property out there. A few acres, hopefully with a view. That will be the future home of our future Airstream.

utee94 - Whenever you have a weekend day not being spent on the side roads looking for your AS, send me a PM & we'd be glad to show you the few places in this area selling small'ish acreage. I'm on 5.5 acres between Wimberley & Blanco & believe me, it's more than enough to keep up. But it does provide great privacy & good for my soul. AND the drive into Austin isn't any more than if you lived in most major city suburbs. Lots of folks out here drive into Austin & San Antonio every day. But then, today's fuel prices might be a downer on that for a while .

MAJOR QUALIFIER - Any 1950 to 1956 FC or Safari we may spot while on the above friendly tour - first call is MINE . I've got all the local cedar choppers and road & fence builders on the lookout for one for me . There's just GOTTA be that "oh-so-fine" 1954 or '55 FC stored in a barn around here somewhere !!! Same hopes for your Globetrotter too .

Wishing you & yours a GREAT Mother's Day.

Jim
Jim, same to you. I'll keep my eye out for your FC or Safari, and you do the same for a '61 Overlander for me ('58-'63 actually, and I'd probably consider '64 or '65 too). And I'll probably take you up on your kind offer of land hunting out there. We've been saving up for years to do this-- originally I wanted waterfront on Lake Travis, but it's just gotten SO expensive. It's about 5x what it was just seven years ago when I almost bought some...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Frank, the pit beef looks good. But I understand what you're saying about price. Even down here, BBQ restaurants have a huge markup on the meat itself. I usually choose to make my own rather than pay restaurant prices.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
You folks all made me hungry, so I got my unfinished still under construction BBQ smoker up to the house and decided to cook a few things today. A few skinless chicken thighs, some Johnsonville Beer Brats and some small red potatoes are in the foil. May add some slices of Spam for the heck of it. Second picture of smoke stack with A/S in background keeps everything "official".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ5.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	60250   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ6.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	60251  

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Pick, I am so jealous of your spread. The food looks great, but mostly because of the Airstream in the background!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So the brisket has now been on for about 7 hours, we probably have a 2-3 more to go.

Now comes the ribs. I do them several different ways-- often I just use the same dry rub that I put on the brisket and leave it at that.

But today I prepped them using a little bit of yellow mustard, Firsta pork rub, and Montreal steak seasoning. This is still essentially a dry rub technique-- I will not be basting, sopping, or misting throughout the process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4849 small.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	60252  
Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
On pork spare ribs you have to cut away the steak-like part at the bottom, and a small flap. It will still get cooked, just cleans up the rib rack.

Now another controversial BBQ issue, one that is sometimes even more hotly debated than Nuvite versus Southern Shine-- I always remove the membrane. Some folks do this, some do not. I find that it gets bitter and rubbery throughout the long cooking process. Other people like it because it helps to hold the rack together.

This is a matter of personal choice, there is no "right" way-- whatever works for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4850 small.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	60258  
Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Thanks! We have 7 acres here. Two horses and a donkey live in the pasture.
Not much rain lately so we don't have much mowing this year. So far all the bad storms have passed to the north today.

The 3 musketeers, with my niece from Ohio this past December:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3MUSK.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	60259  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Something that I hope does not stir ANY controversy...

Pictures speak 1,000 words.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4852 small.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	60260   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4853 small.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	60261  

Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
utee94, a friend of mine from Ohio who drives truck delivering meat, told me that most restaurants that sell "BBQ Ribs" parboil them for at least 2 hours THEN smoke them. Have you heard of this or tried it? Most folks that have smokers down here, that I know of do not do this.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The Current State of Affairs

The brisket has been on for 7+ hours-- don't worry, it's not burned, it's supposed to look like that.

And, the rack of ribs next to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4851 small.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	60262  
Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Thanks! We have 7 acres here. Two horses and a donkey live in the pasture.
Not much rain lately so we don't have much mowing this year. So far all the bad storms have passed to the north today.

The 3 musketeers, with my niece from Ohio this past December:
What a nice spread, seriously. Someday I'd like to have some room to spread out like that. Your niece is a cutie.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
utee94, a friend of mine from Ohio who drives truck delivering meat, told me that most restaurants that sell "BBQ Ribs" parboil them for at least 2 hours THEN smoke them. Have you heard of this or tried it? Most folks that have smokers down here, that I know of do not do this.
I've heard of that, but it's not a technique anyone uses in this part of the country either.

People do a lot of things, I don't know, might work or might not. I always say, whatever works for you, but I do think that BBQ really is pretty easy to make (if you have the right equipment), and it seems like some people try to make it too mysterious and too difficult.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Pictures speak 1,000 words.
Nice cooler! Reminds me of similar coolers in the corner markets, aka depositos, in the small towns of old Mexico especially in the Sierras north of Monterrey. There it's still possible to find bottles of cerveza for .25 cents each. Barbeque is a way of life in many of these rural areas. Perhaps this is where we inherited the art.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
Nice cooler! Reminds me of similar coolers in the corner markets, aka depositos, in the small towns of old Mexico especially in the Sierras north of Monterrey.
I'm told that's where this one came from, I bought it from a guy on the side of the road here in Austin. I'm guessing it didn't really come from any of the little corner markets in Mexico, the interior is far too new, but it makes a good story anyway!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
I'll bet it was imported. That's a Mexican ice-chest, hombre.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
I'll bet it was imported. That's a Mexican ice-chest, hombre.
You live in San Antonio, so I have no choice but to defer to you in all matters Mexico-related.

The price was right, so I'd believe it came straight from Mexico. We get a lot of compliments on it. I should have bought several, I could have made a fortune selling to my family and friends!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
You live in San Antonio, so I have no choice but to defer to you in all matters Mexico-related.

The price was right, so I'd believe it came straight from Mexico. We get a lot of compliments on it. I should have bought several, I could have made a fortune selling to my family and friends!
I spent a few years rock climbing in the Potrero Chico a few years back. It's a Mexican national park about a 6 hours drive south of San Antonio. Never saw an igloo there and refrigerators were rare but I did see and consume lots of carta blanca kept on ice in chests just like yours though not nearly in the same condition. As soon as I get my trailer back together I'm heading back down there. BTW, speaking of barbeque cabrito is a regional specialty of the city of Monterrey.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I've been to Monterrey several times and always get cabrito when I do. There are a couple of joints here in Austin where you can get decent cabrito, but not nearly as good as down there.

But the best cabrito I've ever had was on a Boy Scout trip to Saltillo many moons ago. We met up with a Mexican troup and camped for a week on the grounds of a hacienda owned by a wealthy Mexican supporter of the Boy Scouts of Mexico.

But the twist is that the cabrito was NOT cooked by the Mexicans-- it was cooked by my Dad, with all of us Scouts doing the labor under his direction. We dug out two pits, burning wood down to coals in one, and transferring those coals to the other pit where we had constructed a makeshift spit. We cooked the whole goat on it, for MANY hours. It might have been the most amazing food I've ever tasted, and the Mexicans were more than impressed.

There is nobody on this planet who makes better Q than my Dad.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So, I'm getting busy trying to clean up and take care of my daughter, before the Fam shows up. I'll take pictures, but I probably won't be able to post any until much later.

The next steps are:

1) Check the brisket, if it seems done, wrap in foil and move it to an empty cooler to rest until it's time to slice. It'll hold the heat for several hours this way. Oh, the easiest way to tell if your brisket is done is to poke your finger into the large fat cap on top of the brisket (by the way, you always smoke brisket with the fat side up. But you knew that, right? ). Anyway, if your finger slides into the fat easily, the meat is done. If it doesn't, then the meat is not done, no matter how long it has been cooking.

2) Check the ribs. Move them further from the heat if they're getting cooked. Eventually, I'll wrap them in foil and move them to the oven for a couple of hours. They'll get really fall-apart. Then I'll throw them back on the pit for a half-hour to firm them up.

3) Throw on the sausage. It's already smoked (courtesy of the good folks at Southside Market in Elgin), so it just needs to warm up. You could do this step in the oven or even in a pan, but since the smoker is already all wamed up...

4) When everything is ready to go, the biggest step will be slicing the brisket. This is really important, there's a right way and many wrong ways to do this. I've been to many of the top, most well-known BBQ restaurants and still had brisket that wasn't properly sliced. The basics are that you always cut against the grain. The trick is that a whole brisket has two muscles, one overlaps the other, and the grains run in different directions. There's a vein of fat that runs down between these two muscles, and you have to cut the brisket apart along that fat vein, and then slice the two parts separate. Very simple, very easy, and very important.

I'll post updates when I can!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
To Sauce, Or Not To Sauce...

...so here, once again, we encounter one of those Great Controversial issues in Texas BBQ. And this one makes the "Marathon Tire Failure Debate" look like child's play.

There are many Texans who maintain that good and proper BBQ is so tender, moist, and delicious that you don't need any sauce at all. Now actually, I often fall into this category as well. I love nothing more than to grab a fresh slice of brisket and just throw it into my gaping maw, sans sauce and sans anything else. Nothing but the meat and what the smoke did to it.

By the same token, I somtimes like a little sauce. I like to chop up my brisket trimmings, mix it with some sauce, throw it on a bun, and make what Texicans call "chop" aka "chopped beef sandwich."

And occasionally I'll actually dip a slice of brisket or a piece of sausage or a bite of rib into that sauce as well.

So, I have my own homemade sauce that I make, adapted from my Dad's recipe of course (and his is still better. Did I mention that he owned a BBQ restaurant here in Austin for quite a few years?).

Anyway, here it is. And no, I'm not showing you the ingredients on this one, they really are top secret!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4854 small.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	60269