Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I was just outside by the pool. I can smell your brisket here in Phoenix. I'm getting hungry, what time do we eat?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hey utee -- I was just at Rudy's on Research Blvd last Sunday morning early. You shoulda told me to stick around! You know yours looks better (and that's hard to say when comparing to Rudys). Enjoy Moms!!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I've got a technical question. Is it OK to smoke Brisket and a Pork Butt in the same pit, like my son-in-law does?

Or is that a big no-no.

I'm a newbie so I usually follow his advice. Not so sure about this one, though.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I've got a technical question. Is it OK to smoke Brisket and a Pork Butt in the same pit, like my son-in-law does?

Or is that a big no-no. I'm a newbie so I just follow his advice.
I think it's okay, and I've done it several times before. Pork butts typically take even longer than brisket so you'd start the butt early, and then add the brisket later, so they all finish at the same time.

Are you concerned about cross-contamination? Shouldn't be an issue at 225.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Richard-- you could hop a Southwest flight and be here by 6 PM easy. My FIL is bringing the beans, my SIL is bringing the tater salad. I'll let you be in charge of the nanner pudding.

Bob-- I live about 1 mile from that Rudy's! Next time you're in Austin let me know. Especially if you have your camper with you.

-Marcus
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Smile From Alaska

Man, if I had known that you were going to invite half of Texas I would have left Alaska early to make the cookout. Being from Hamilton, Tx and really missing brisket on the smoker, I would have made the trip. We are going to have chili (it will be 50 here today) for Mothers day to celebrate.

By the way..they don't know what a brisket is here. Go figure.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #27
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Richard-- you could hop a Southwest flight and be here by 6 PM easy. My FIL is bringing the beans, my SIL is bringing the tater salad. I'll let you be in charge of the nanner pudding.

Bob-- I live about 1 mile from that Rudy's! Next time you're in Austin let me know. Especially if you have your camper with you.

-Marcus
I was thinking dutch oven cherry cobbler with a little French vanilla ice cream. Might be tough getting through the metal detectors....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I was thinking dutch oven cherry cobbler with a little French vanilla ice cream. Might be tough getting through the metal detectors....
Oh I'll bet you can find a way. Sounds fantastic!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I'm a newbie so I usually follow his advice.
Don, I'm surprised and pleased to hear how receptive you are and how soothing this must be to your daughter's mother. Stick to yer guns though -- draw the line at mods!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite
Man, if I had known that you were going to invite half of Texas I would have left Alaska early to make the cookout. Being from Hamilton, Tx and really missing brisket on the smoker, I would have made the trip. We are going to have chili (it will be 50 here today) for Mothers day to celebrate.

By the way..they don't know what a brisket is here. Go figure.
Chili is what I'd be eating too if I were you!

Not knowing what brisket is? Now that's a sad state of affairs...
Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Hey Marcus,

While you're at it, for the vegetarians among us (yes, even here in Texas), how about throwing on a few veggies, maybe zucchini. Also throw on a few tomatoes, onions and jalapenos for a zesty salas for those chips. Helps the beer go down just a tad bit smoother. I'll bring the avocados for the guacamole and the tortillas? Brisket makes great fajitas too.

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Wrangell , Alaska
Some of us do

Deauxrite, some of us know what a brisket is. I had a pit built in Texas and shipped to me in Wrangell in a big box that they brought to the house with a fork lift and I buy brisket by the case as that is the only way the store will sell them to me. I use Alder which seems to work well and I don't let the tempt get above 212 as water boils at that and I can keep the brisket moist because I cook for 15 to 16 hours. About four years ago I cooked 5 cases of brisket for the local Elks for the 4 of july. They sold more food than they did beer which was a first for the fourth. Some of us know what a brisket is. I do miss City Market though.
briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Texas and brisket! I think the last time I went up against a Texan in a brisket cook-off, he ended up owing me some cash. I send my smoked meats to those poor souls stuck in places like NY, DC, Ky, and even Okla. Ever try smoked meatloaf? Pork ribs, pork shoulder (or butt), hot links, brisket, and anything making the list of P.E.T.A. goes into 'The Kursk'. Utee's got it just about right, but I'd hold the heat (of the smoke) down to 180-190 for about 5 hours (or about 8 Coronas, whichever comes first).
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Whoops! Here's The Kursk (hopefully)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smoker 001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	60237   Click image for larger version

Name:	smoker 002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	60238  

Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64
Texas and brisket! I think the last time I went up against a Texan in a brisket cook-off, he ended up owing me some cash. I send my smoked meats to those poor souls stuck in places like NY, DC, Ky, and even Okla. Ever try smoked meatloaf? Pork ribs, pork shoulder (or butt), hot links, brisket, and anything making the list of P.E.T.A. goes into 'The Kursk'. Utee's got it just about right, but I'd hold the heat (of the smoke) down to 180-190 for about 5 hours (or about 8 Coronas, whichever comes first).
Much like polishing techniques, preferred trailer tires, or favorite WD equipment, every BBQ cook has his own way. It also depends a lot on where the temperature gauge on the individual unit is, and how it delivers the heat.

You've got a nice rig, I'd be proud to eat some brisket prepared by you on that big baddy.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Marcus, This is Pit beef. This is Maryland's version of BBQ. There are road side stands everywhere. Some are better than others. This one draws a huge crowd, but we never buy it. Too expensive and tiny for three slices of beef on white bread.

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	60241
They offer beef, ham, turkey and sausages.

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	60240
This fine rig is used by the vegan vendor. Everything is mushroom related. I think the use of this rig is sacrilegious and always tell my wife that they are on mushroom by not using that thing the right way.

Name:	IMG_1798.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	60242
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
utee94 said - Spending the night in your Airstream makes for a perfect weekend I think. My wife has told me numerous times that she has no doubt I'm going to be doing that regularly as soon as we finally get one.

utee94 - Only another Airstreamer could understand that . Mine is sometimes also used as a periodic mental escape pod. It's quiet, no phones, my DVD's & books are out there, but sadly no internet connection (yet!! - to ward off the 'sweet hints' that all I do is surf the Forums!! !!).

utee94 said - Yeah, it got pretty dern hot yesterday didn't it? I was outside all day cleaning and re-staining my deck and patio furniture, and I had no choice but to cool off with a few icy cold long-necks myself. I was a bit apprehensive about spending the day hanging out by a fiery hot pit, but this morning the temperature is so pleasant that it's been a fantastic morning.

utee94 - Yesterday's temp was a great excuse to keep the cooler stocked and take frequent breaks to re-hydrate, Texas style . Taking the streaks off the AS this am was a treat - great weather this early in the day & good music on the radio. Life's good.

utee94 said - I love the Wimberly area by the way, we're thinking about buying some property out there. A few acres, hopefully with a view. That will be the future home of our future Airstream.

utee94 - Whenever you have a weekend day not being spent on the side roads looking for your AS, send me a PM & we'd be glad to show you the few places in this area selling small'ish acreage. I'm on 5.5 acres between Wimberley & Blanco & believe me, it's more than enough to keep up. But it does provide great privacy & good for my soul. AND the drive into Austin isn't any more than if you lived in most major city suburbs. Lots of folks out here drive into Austin & San Antonio every day. But then, today's fuel prices might be a downer on that for a while .

MAJOR QUALIFIER - Any 1950 to 1956 FC or Safari we may spot while on the above friendly tour - first call is MINE . I've got all the local cedar choppers and road & fence builders on the lookout for one for me . There's just GOTTA be that "oh-so-fine" 1954 or '55 FC stored in a barn around here somewhere !!! Same hopes for your Globetrotter too .

Wishing you & yours a GREAT Mother's Day.

Jim
Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Utee, the smoker was custom made in Nahunta, Ga. and shipped to Az. It's 1/4 inch boiler plate steel and weighs in at a half ton. I designed the pedestal and the holding cradle and had to use an engine hoist to get the darn thing up there...next time, I'm getting one with wheels!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambie '64
Utee, the smoker was custom made in Nahunta, Ga. and shipped to Az. It's 1/4 inch boiler plate steel and weighs in at a half ton. I designed the pedestal and the holding cradle and had to use an engine hoist to get the darn thing up there...next time, I'm getting one with wheels!
Amen brother! My father-in-law used to sell trailer smokers as well as backyard pits. The mark-up on trailer smokers was over 100%, and his competitors were still charging about 1.5 that!

My charitable non-profit corporation has a trailer smoker that we use for out tailgate parties. I probably have some pictures of it on this computer somerhere, I'll post 'em if I can find 'em.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
Hey Marcus,

While you're at it, for the vegetarians among us (yes, even here in Texas), how about throwing on a few veggies, maybe zucchini. Also throw on a few tomatoes, onions and jalapenos for a zesty salas for those chips. Helps the beer go down just a tad bit smoother. I'll bring the avocados for the guacamole and the tortillas? Brisket makes great fajitas too.
Brisket makes awesome fajitas. Grilled/smoked veggies are delicious, and I bet my wife has some ready for me to cook before the day is through!