Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Technology Time Warp

In another thread I was trying to justify my decision to upgrade from drum brakes to discs when I realized that it wasn't strictly rational - yes, they are 'safer' but the difference is hard to measure.

After a bit of introspection I think the real reason I'm upgrading to discs is that after getting my Airstream I was amazed to find out that drum brakes still exist - never mind that I had just bought two. I can remember when I was a wee lad of 8 'helping' my father swap out drums for discs on our car - I haven't seen drum brakes since.

It was the same thing with the factory installed Airstream battery. I was amazed that they still had batteries that needed water. Not to mention that Airstream had just sold me something that wanted maintenance every two weeks! So a Lifeline went in.

I guess I had assumed that Airstreams were like cars. There were old ones that were excruciatingly beautiful but which required more love and care than I currently have available to give to them. And new ones that just work.

Is this just me? Or has anyone else had this experience? Is Airstream caught in a Technology Time Warp?
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I tend to agree with most. Drum brakes are still around, but have mostly bee n replaced with discs. Batteries....I was a little surprised myself that they still required 'attention'.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
For someone who spends way too much time trying to make numbers make sense because you want them to, I would have thought you would have done all your homework before purchasing your AS. Find me another trailer that has offered disk brakes in the last few years. As for deep cycle batteries such as those which come with our loved AS, 99% of deep cells sold with RV's are wet. So if I were you (thank goodness I am not) do your research before attacking our loved Airstreams! Or do what the rest of us do. Change it if you don't like it!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My 97 Ford truck had drums on the rear. Yes these are still in use.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
My 97 Ford truck had drums on the rear. Yes these are still in use.
Hey Alan- Aren't there still a bunch of Toyota cars and trucks that still use drums also? I know my brothers Chevy Suburban has monster drums on the rear and it's a 1999!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Hey Alan- Aren't there still a bunch of Toyota cars and trucks that still use drums also? I know my brothers Chevy Suburban has monster drums on the rear and it's a 1999!
Many, many cars and trucks still use rear drums, although no one uses front drums any more.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am doubly surprised at how many still use them on the rear, and also at how far back discs were in use. My 82 AS Motorhome had the 4 wheel discs, and my 1959 Triumph car had front discs.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
But then again, my 1936 Piper Cub has no brakes!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Well Jimii..I have some shocking news for you. Drumb brakes are still the standard for some 2005/06 Chevrolet trucks. Most Trailers have drumb brakes with the exception of a very few that come with disk brakes. 99% of ALL Class 8 trucks....thats the ones the haul your stuff to wallys world and the rest of the world for that matter....have Drumb Brakes. You seem very uninformed about these things. Sorry,,,but I see so many who comes here totally OUT of contact with the products they purchase that its a bit discerning for me.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I believe it is a simple matter of cost vrs performance value. In the example of disk or drum brakes, the perfomance is nearly the same for the application at hand. Compatability of brake controllers, universal availibilty of parts, the ease of use, all lead to one see that there is no real need for change. They still do the job well, use is widespread, and thereby cheap. As to lead acid batteries, there is still no battery that provides the capacity and durability for the same or less cost. If there were, we would use them.

One might ask why we are still tied to 150 year old technology for transportation? Simply put, no other alternative is as cheap to build, support or opreate as the internal combustion engine. One day this will change, but care to bet when?
Whew, won't this start a mess.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I must have missed something - I thought Jimii's post was an ok way to show some buyer's remorse - and an unstated wish that he had done his research beforehand. We've all been there. But AS is not a production paragon - they are producing what will sell and please most folks over the long haul. I suspect their cost and pricing structures do not (yet) support disks and Lifelines as standard issue over drums and wet batteries.

I'll likely convert to Lifelines soon, but I'm happy enough with my dumb drums.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pensacola , Florida
drum/disc brakes

my 2003 f150 had front disc/rear drum
my 2006 rockwood has 4 drum
my 2005 f150 has 4 disc - 1 that squeels like a pig the dealer has yet to fix after 3 trys
upgrade to disc from drum-don't see the the advantage unless you planning on using your AS on the nascar circuit
JD Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
But then again, my 1936 Piper Cub has no brakes!
you got a cub?! oooh...we need to chat!

so...no brakes by design? or are they just "missing"?

the Champ my dad had had brakes. very similar ride...Now that I think of it, I would feel a bit uneasy without them. I remember watching the cub do "brake stands"...so I would think that some of them must have had brakes. maybe that was a "super cub"...anyway, I have a vivid memory of watching the cub pilot "fly" the tail, without the airplane actually moving. tried it w/ the champ...wouldn't do it. almost...but not quite. although, in the winter, it was typically off the ground before I could get the throttle all the way open. (solo) but it did have to have forward motion...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
My 86 Airstream MH has front and rear discs and drums on the tags...the 71 Beetle I tow has drums on all four corners and our 96 Jeep has discs on all four. I still see a lot of rear drums on cars and trucks produced today.

I would like to upgrade my Beetle to discs at some point. Kits are readily available and I like the added safety and lower maintenance it gives me. But the drums will stop the car.

I think it simply has to do with a combination of engineered requirements (will they stop the trailer within design parameters) and engineered costs (if they came with better = more expensive brakes and batteries what gets engineered down or out to meet a price point.) Like your battery, you can always upgrade later.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
you got a cub?! oooh...we need to chat!

so...no brakes by design? or are they just "missing"?

the Champ my dad had had brakes. very similar ride...Now that I think of it, I would feel a bit uneasy without them. I remember watching the cub do "brake stands"...so I would think that some of them must have had brakes. maybe that was a "super cub"...anyway, I have a vivid memory of watching the cub pilot "fly" the tail, without the airplane actually moving. tried it w/ the champ...wouldn't do it. almost...but not quite. although, in the winter, it was typically off the ground before I could get the throttle all the way open. (solo) but it did have to have forward motion...
Your Champ has a little too much tourque to do a tail stand. I have a flatter prop which will allow a tail stand and less HP. I used to be able to do a tail stand in my F-14C at 45K feet too! But it didn't like it too much and actually flamed the port engine once. My RIO got pretty upset and I think he wet his pants. I think I got a bunch of mice turds in my wheels and the cables are either jammed or corroded. A lesson for all AS owners, keep the mice out!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 01-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I had a 1971 Tradewind with brand new drum brakes, and now have a 1963 Overlander with brand new hydraulic disc brakes.
Same tow vehicle, and same brake controller.
I would never go back to electric drum trailer brakes, the stopping power , balance, and smoothness is simply that much better. There is a wonderful brake feel to these systems, and no brake fade whatsoever. Not at all true with drum brakes.
The other advantage of brake discs vs. brake drums is running gear balance.
The brake discs have inherently a much better potential to be in balance as brake drums will ever have. I would spend the extra money just to eliminate this one issue from the towing experience. It is no longer necessary to have the drums/whell assemblies balanced for a smooth ride, simple tire/wheel balance will suffice to ensure a balanced running assembly.
To sum this up, I would definitely not dismiss the brake disc upgrade so quickly, there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple
In the example of disk or drum brakes, the perfomance is nearly the same for the application at hand. Compatability of brake controllers, universal availibilty of parts, the ease of use, all lead to one see that there is no real need for change. They still do the job well, use is widespread, and thereby cheap.
The disc brake testing that I have been involved with shows the disc brake will stop about 50% faster than an electric drum brake. Wouldn't that make them twice as good.

Disc's are more expensive up front - but I think there are fewer parts to fail and replace in the long run. Pad replacement is very simple.

Just two cents from a retired axle dude!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Your Champ has a little too much tourque to do a tail stand. I have a flatter prop which will allow a tail stand and less HP.
"too much torque??" I'd have guessed the other way around. had the same C-65 engine that the cubs use...I figured it was just a "balance" thing.
Quote:
...My RIO got pretty upset and I think he wet his pants..
I've heard it said that the scariest thing in the world is to try and land one of those things on a pitching, rolling deck in bad weather at night. An ex-RIO corrected me, saying that the scariest thing was being stuck helpless in the back seat, watching someone attempt the former.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Sounds as if Airstream prefers to be on the trailing edge of technology when it comes to brakes.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
One reason I prefer disc brakes is that they are easily inspected and relined, especially with alloy rims that have big holes

As far as the Piper Cub goes: Who would want to ground loop an Airstream?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote